1. Do learn to laugh again, especially at yourself, but maybe not in public.
2. Don’t develop a passion for mint chocolate ice cream, because barre sucks (but you should do it anyway).
3. Do date a lot of men, but not until you’re ready. There are gems out there, even in the murky waters of online dating, but you can’t see them if you’re not ready.
4. Don’t get a tattoo. They are permanent, and the reason you’re doing it is probably not.
5. Do take time to think about nothing. The freedom from your own mind is priceless, and that little voice can be a real pain in the ass.
6. Don’t let random guys buy you apple schnapps and tequila shots. No explanation necessary.
7. Do experience life. You can do or try anything, because who’s going to stop you?
8. Don’t surf alone, because you might die. You’re single, not Layne Beachley.
9. Do sing along with the radio, with Bruce, because he gets you. But don’t forget Nelly, because there’s “Country Grammar.”
10. Don’t go to bed with men who don’t respect you or want you in the same way. You already did that with your ex-husband, right?
11. Do learn a new skill. Or relearn an old skill. Just do something, because you’re not as interesting right now as you think you are.
12. Don’t deny your feelings. But don’t let them define you, because most are temporary.
13. Do appreciate beautiful things, art, theatre, nature, architecture, music, fashion, stories, whatever. It’s inspiring to see what other people create.
14. Don’t forget the little things, like making your child a homemade dinner or creating a new holiday tradition. Someday, they may even thank you.
15. Do see your friends, because they will remind you of who you are and where you came from. They don’t care that you’re divorced.
16. Don’t buy clothes that are too young for you, or too small. You will end up being that woman. Lycra is your friend.
17. Do peek at your sleeping child. It’s the sweetest image you can take to bed with you at night.
18. Don’t try crafting unless you are prepared to handle a hot glue gun and wear the scars. Life can be full without ever stepping into a Jo-Ann Fabrics.
19. Do treat others the way you want to be treated. It is the Golden Rule. That includes treating yourself the way you want to be treated.
20. And most importantly, don’t give up. You only get one life. Own it.