25 Rules for Raising Daughters
1. Teach your daughter to never allow herself to be anyone's property and that you will disown her if she ever wears shorts that claim otherwise.
2. Teach your daughter to talk about her feelings – not eat them or purge them. Or if she doesn't want to talk, teach her to express her feelings through writing, art, music, sports, etc. Anything but food.
3. Teach your daughter to work with what she's got and love what she's got. Tall, short, fat, thin, your daughter is beautiful – inside and out. Make sure you tell her all the time and make sure she believes it.
4. Teach your daughter to like and respect herself and demand respect from those around her. She might end up lonely at times, but at least she won't be a doormat.
5. Teach your daughter that "fish lips" photos are never appropriate and never attractive.
6. Teach your daughter to value herself enough to defend herself – physically and verbally. Let your daughter watch "The Burning Bed." She'll never forget it and she'll always know she has "options" if she finds herself in an abusive relationship.
7. Teach your daughter to go easy on the plastic surgery.
8. Teach your daughter to be strong and confident in her abilities and not be afraid of failure. Teach her that sometimes she will fail, but she can't let that fear stop her from trying something.
9. Teach your daughter that she has the right to get loud. Make sure she knows girls can get angry, they can have opinions and they can throw "lady like" behavior out the window if necessary.
10. Teach your daughter to never text/email/snail mail naked photos of herself to anyone. Ever. Ever. Ever.
11. Teach your daughter what a "douche canoe" is so she can avoid them.
12. Teach your daughter to never steal her best friend's boyfriend. That's just a real skank move. What is it that our mothers always told us? "Boys come and go, but girlfriends are forever." Still true.
13. Teach your daughter that having her underwear and half her ass hanging out the back of her jeans is not attracting anyone substantial nor does it make her look smart – even in the library.
14. Never let your daughter wear clothing with sexually inappropriate "cutesy" sayings.
15. Teach your daughter that smart girls get further in life than slutty girls.
16. Teach your daughter to walk away from the teen magazines. There is so much pressure put on young girls these days to look pretty or hot it's nauseating.
17. Don't let your 9 year old dancer look like a 25 year Pussycat Doll.
18. Teach your daughter that bigger boobs isn't necessarily a good thing.
19. Don't let your daughter marry young. Encourage her to get out and see the world, live on her own and figure out who she is and what she wants in a partner before she settles down.
20. Teach your daughter that there's nothing wrong with staying home on a Friday night and reading a good book, but try to get her to read more than just Chick Lit. Give her The Gift of Fear. This book really empowers women to spot danger signals. Unfortunately in the world we live in, this is an important gift to have.
21. Teach your daughter to beat the boys at their own games.
22. Teach your daughter to be able to laugh at herself and have a sense of humor. There are so many women I meet that say they have a sense of humor, but they really don't.
23. Teach your daughter that the "Queen Bees" and "Wanna Bees" and "mean girls" are a waste of time and she should just invest in one or two great friends.
24. Don't allow her to pierce or tattoo her body until she's on her own.
25. Teach your daughter that her choices in life are limitless. She really can do anything – except maybe use the Men's Restroom.