How to be a Good Wife

Want to Know How to be a Good Wife?

With three young kids, jobs, a new house and just general life, my marriage could use some TLC. Sure, my husband knows that I love him. But, do I love him well? Turns out, I have some things to learn.

Imagine how excited I was when I stumbled upon an inspirational site. There is a challenge called “Loving Him Well” that just started this week. By participating in this two month commitment, I’ll make my man happier and more fulfilled. Through that, I will become more fulfilled myself. For, a happy husband makes a happy wife. That’s what it’s all about!

This enlightening video lays out the plan:

Are you excited? I’m super excited! Here are the weeks that I’m especially looking forward to:

Ask your husband every morning how you can pray for him that day.

Bonus: Fast and pray for him one day this week. (I especially love the idea of combining the fasting and the praying. Two of my most favorite things!)

Make a list of 5 things you currently do and ask him to prioritize them for you of what is important to him.

For example – a clean home, home cooked dinner, coupon clipping, service at church, having friends over for dinner, watching/doing sports with him, etc. (Not sure about you, but Jeff gets really excited when I clip coupons! That’s going to top the list for sure!!)

Make him a priority.

Ask him what his favorite dinner, dessert and drink are. Be sure to serve him all three one night this week. Bonus: cook his favorite dishes all week long! (Homemade pizza, Chinese food and burgers, here we come!!)

Support his vision.

Discuss his vision for your family. Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years. Share with us how you let your husband lead. (We’ll follow wherever he may lead.)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

No complaining, criticizing, rolling your eyes, nagging, or giving him any friction this week. Enjoy a week of peace in your home! (No friction at home- yay! Except, maybe in between the sheets, if you know what I mean! Wink, wink!)

Fun, right?! I can’t wait!

It’s really amazing to have found a site that is so in line with my personal values as a mother, a wife and a woman. The most exciting part? That there are 127 other women whom I can find so much in common with. Gee whiz, it’s almost too much for me to bear!

So, are you with me, dear readers? Can we all commit the next two months to becoming the women our husbands really want? Women that serve them, worship them and put them first? I know that I can’t wait to jump right in!

Comments

Megan (Best of Fates) says

I have to say, I really wish she’d elaborated on how to be the wife your drug addict husband needs.

That’d be a useful video clip.

Erin W. / Beatnik Momma says

I have serious problems with ANYONE that asks me to “submit.” Like, uses the actual word. It’s one thing to ask me to do you a favor, or for me to put the needs of my husband or kids before my own, but if I’m doing it as an act of “submission,” then there is a serious problem.

I’m all for taking some time to show gratitude to your partner, but you’re crazy if you think I’m going to devote even one hour, let alone the entire summer, bending to his will. No thanks.

Oh, and lady in the video, nothing personal, but I’d never encourage women to be like you either. LOLs

Beth says

I’m going to assume this is sarcasm here. Otherwise, I’m speechless! If this is what makes a good marriage, I would never have gotten married. I can’t imagine how women can degrade themselves that way. Although Texan Mama, I like what you said about us all needing to serve each other.

Mama Kat says

I just want to know when things stopped being about me. Thinking about Pat first would only confuse him.

What bothered me most about the challenge is that as wives and mothers I feel like we, by nature, put EVERYONE before ourselves. Including our husbands. Women should be taking time to nurture themselves so that they are available and healthy enough to be the best mothers and wives we can be.

Becoming the woman my husband needs?? Excuse me? My husband married me because I am who I am…why do I have to “become” something to fit someone else’s needs? Why would my husband “need” me to “become” something else?

It certainly does not hurt anything to appreciate and be thankful for your husband. Pat and I work hard and we take care of each other…but fast for him for an entire day?? I don’t see what purpose that would serve. Become an obedient helper to my husband because apparently Genesis says that’s the way to be? No thank you.

I actually like our system.

• 23

alexis says

maybe after fasting for a day, eating just about *anything* would seem more appetizing? i dunno, just a thought…and also, the Bible says we should stone homosexuals. so I think this whole taking the bible literally has it’s downsides.

• 24

Tina @ Life Without Pink says

LOVE your response Kat! This pretty much says it all. Maybe we should put ourselves first once in awhile instead of everyone else. Happy MOM = a Happy HOME. And you are right our husbands married us for who we are; why change?

Katie says

This woman just grouped husbands who play video games in with the drunkards and drug users. My husband plays video games (in fact we play them together). He also works 2 jobs and does laundry and dishes while I go to school full time and work nights. Her husband may not play those evil video games but I bet he’s banging his secretary.