Is your habit that bad!
  • CantGetRightCantGetRight
    That you feel the need to light up while holding your 4 year old that shit makes me so angry. That and people who smoke in a car with all the windows up I hated when my parents did that shit and it pisses me off that parents subject thier children to that!!!
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    As a smoker, I completely agree with you. I can not stand when people smoke while holding their children, or in a car with children (thankfully that's illegal here). I'm very vocal about it as well, it really bothers me. 

community-manager

• momsaidnomomsaidno
    My Dh and I both smoke, We stand outside we never smoke in the house. and i am a freak about smoking before we get into the car because i feel like it is still on our clothes!

when i see someone smoking with kids in the car it angers me to no end! even worse when they aren't in a car seat and like jumping all over the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MaryPoppins25
    I love that smoking in your car with your child is illegal here now! Makes a proud Canadian mama, @Canadianmama hehe
  • CantGetRightCantGetRight
    I wish more states would adopt that law. And make texting and driving an ovi. But that's a different topic.
  • Quietmom
    Agreed. I don't smoke. I don't care if people smoke, but damn the kids don't get a choice. At least give them a chance to not have to deal with it especially in the car.. And with the windows rolled up? Fil used to do that and it made me nauseated. *shudder
    Like a river and a waterfall, a strong person channels their own path...
  • MaryPoppins25
    Regarding smoking in the car, when I was young and sitting in the back seat of a car an adult flicked a smoke out the window and the wind forced it back into my window and into my ear. We all know you don't flick butted cigarettes :( I thought it was a bee and couldn't stop freaking out. I feel better getting that traumatic experience off my chest c:
  • AnonUser30
    I'm a smoker. I blow it in my kids's faces. Same as the pollution that is being put out in my republican state that tries to ban the EPA. *note sarcasm*

• Quietmom
    @livinthedream I think I love uou
  • runbitchrunrunbitchrun
    @eapple you're Canadian?!? I had no idea, now you have an accent too.
  • MaryPoppins25
    @runbitchrun you can check out my accent on the show me yours I'll show you mine thread. I posted a video of me talking my fellow scarries through my house on a Monday!
  • MaryPoppins25
    I was wondering if us Canadians sounded weird/funny/sexy/geeky to others
  • runbitchrunrunbitchrun
    @eapple I have a total man voice, bleck. I think all accents are cool, can't understand a damn thing you're saying, but you sound cool! ;)
  • MaryPoppins25
    @runbitchrun u can't understand me!! Really!! Wow I didn't realize it was so intense. Where are u from? If you don't mind me asking.
  • runbitchrunrunbitchrun
    @eapple no, I can understand you, usually I can't understand anyone with an accent, my DH thinks I'm crazy. I live in VA right now, I'm not from here though so I don't have a smooth southern drawl. I'm from N. CAlifornia so I have no accent at all, just the deep man voice.

Will the cops pull you over if they see you in the car with a child smoking ? Is the fine hefty?
  • MaryPoppins25
    @runbitchrun u probably do have an accent to me! I didn't think I had one at all, I didn't know Canadians had accents but it makes sense that if Im speaking the same words as someone but they sound diff then it's an accent to them. Don't worry about your voice, mine is childlike :( and gets squeaky when I'm excited.

I'm not sure about what happens. I'm
    Sure a police officer could and SHOULD pull someone over if they saw it. Maybe @canadianmama knows the laws and fines better?
  • DemandaDemanda
    I didn't even know it was illegal here.  Good.

I'm a smoker currently in recovery and I have to agree with you @cantgetright - it has always grossed me out when people smoke around their kids...second hand smoke and all that aside, it's just a horrible, horrible example to set.  It's been proven time and again that children of parents who smoke are much more likely to pick up the habit themselves.  That's why I've always been a ninja smoker, I do try to lead by example and I'd rather he not know about my yucky little (hopefully soon, former) habit.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama

All I found was the law, not the consequences. I would imagine it would be enforced the same way speeding, and other motor vehicle violations are. I would also imagine the repercussions would be a ticket or a fine. 

Protection for people under 16 years old in motor vehicles

9.2  (1)  No person shall smoke tobacco or have lighted tobacco in a motor vehicle while another person who is less than 16 years old is present in the vehicle. 2008, c. 12, s. 1.

community-manager

• pdxmama
    Even as a smoker I agree with you 100 %. I don't smoke in my house or my car, and I have an old jacket that I usually wear outside when I smoke so it doesn't get all over my clothes.
  • MalmqukMalmquk
    I personally see it as a form of child abuse, and I am a smoker. I would never do this and it disgusts me when I see it.
  • Lakegirl34
    I live in a tobacco state and smoking is only banned in restaurants/buildings based on the city/county ordinances. I was a smoker for 20 yrs, quit when pregnant and didn't start back up. I am appalled when we go out to restaurants all the parents smoking holding kids, pushing strollers puffing away, lighters sitting out on tables where kids can get them etc. it's like anything else with parenting, safety and their needs come first. It sucks for me bc I love to sit outside, but won't bc of all the smoke. There's my many random vents about the issue.
  • notperfectnotperfect
    I am allergic to smoke, my parents solution was to open the windows wide and smoke while I rode in the back seat, we had to keep a blanket back there just so that I could be warm. In the house the solution was to have everybody smoke in the basement, not only was I isolated because I was the only non smoker in the house, but the furnace was down there so it was distrubuted all through the house anyways. To this day she claims she didn't know, even after I went and got tested she thought I was doing it for a control thing.
  • MamaAce
    In California it's illegal to smoke in a car with a child under the age of 17. 

People also don't realize that not only is there 2nd hand smoke, there is something called 3rd hand smoke. That means the chemicals that are on your clothes, hands, etc. can also harm another person. 

I used to smoke and I NEVER smoked in my house, my truck or around my kids. And now that I know about the 3rd hand smoke, it helps to keep me from starting up again.
  • Die4mygirls

Well I may be out numbered here..... I am not a smoker but I
    do believe in people’s rights! Until you or the government pays for my car, my
    car insurance, and my plates etc..... That is the day you and them will tell me
    what I can and can’t do in my car! I have children and understand that smoking
    is not good for them. However how many of us grew up with smoke all around
    us..... I turned out ok! I guess what I am saying is each person should be able
    to do what they feel on or in their property! Next they will tell you that you can’t
    have a margarita with dinner and if they banned that I bet you still have one
    and you will still drive after one!  That
    is illegal! Let’s quit giving them all the power!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• notperfectnotperfect
    I'm going to have to disagree with you @Die4mygirls, as I have said I am allergic to smoke, I am the only non smoker in my family and the only one with allergies. I used to get sick every winter because the closed windows in the house meant that the smoke built up in the house and my allergies acted up causing me to be more susceptible to sickness. I made the choice not to smoke and still was affected by it because I had no choice but to live in my parent's home and ride in their car. If my parents had a drink (which they didn't) it would not have affected my health, but their smoking did. I am all for other people's rights, just as long as their bad habits do not affect me. 
  • beerthirty
    I agree with @Die4mygirls.  
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana

Long before I had dd, I stopped smoking around kids...even outside...when one of my neighbor's kids came up with one of those cylinder shaped blocks pretending it was a cigarette.  I was mortified!

I wasn't the only one they saw smoking, though, and other still do smoke around these kids, I was just so horrified that they were imitating it, I made sure they never saw ME do it again.

Bite me, cupcake!
  • MalmqukMalmquk
    I'm all for rights, totally for them, but come on, the kids cannot be subjected to it?
  • irishlassirishlass
    Its the government's job to protect our children. In this country anyways. And sometimes that may mean we need to protect them from their parents. If the parents cant see how harmful it is to smoke with kids in the car then the govt will step in and make sure to protect the kids. I get it. 
    As for smoking in your own car without kids in it, thats absolutely your prerogative and i dont think there should be a law against that. 

What gets me is when I see a mother pushing her baby in a pram, holding the cigarette at the handle. Especially when its those prams where the baby faces the mother :( 
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • Quietmom
    I'm all for rights too, but shouldn't the children have the right to not be exposed to the smoke? Yeah, you may have turned out okay, but what if they end up with asthma or some form of copd due to your smoking like my now deceased grandmother who never smoked? I mean, yeah, you have the right to smoke, but your children have just as much right to clean air and a health as you (a general "you" not to anyone in particular) do to smoke.
  • Quietmom
    (if kids aren't in the car, smoke away!)
  • NinLee
    @DieFormygirls - I am a smoker, but I do have to disagree with you. A family friend of ours was diagnosed with throat cancer. The doctors were convinced that she was or at least used to be a smoker. This woman had never touched a cigarette in her life - but her husband was a heavy smoker... 
    If somebody wants to smoke - all good and well, but with the health issues that second hand (and even third hand) smoke can cause, it should be done away from children etc. 
    As I said, I am a smoker - I do not smoke in my home, car or around my children or people who do not smoke. They should not have to pay for my stupid choices
  • Die4mygirls

Like I said in the earlier statement I am NOT A SMOKER......
    So don’t tell me what I should do for my children because I can assure you they
    are safe. All I am saying is just because you don’t like something or disagree
    with something does not mean you have the right to take it away! Yes it is your
    choice not to be around it but leave people the hell alone and let them do what
    they want with their things and their bodies. 
    I can understand that the worry is for the children but I disagree with
    that is should be considered abuse and the government should step in and take
    care of these kids. Our wonderful government will never ban tobacco because of
    all the money they make on it!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• MaryPoppins25
    @die4mygirls they aren't banning it from your vehicle, you can smoke in your car till your hearts content. They are banning it in a car with a child, exercising a child's right to a smoke free environment.

Second hand smoke is poison, it is not a parent's right to poison their children.
  • AutumnAutumn

Serious Health Risks to Children

Children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of secondhand smoke
    because they are still developing physically, have higher breathing rates than
    adults, and have little control over their indoor environments. Children exposed
    to high doses of secondhand smoke, such as those whose mothers smoke, run the
    greatest relative risk of experiencing damaging health effects.

• Exposure to secondhand smoke can cause asthma in children who have not
      previously exhibited symptoms.
    • Exposure to secondhand smoke increases the risk for Sudden
      Infant Death Syndrome
      exiting EPA.
    • Infants and children younger than 6 who are regularly exposed to secondhand
      smoke are at increased risk of lower respiratory track infections, such as pneumonia and
      bronchitis
      exiting EPA.
    • Children who regularly breathe secondhand smoke are at increased risk for
      middle ear
      infections
      exiting EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/healtheffects.html

eapple said:

Second hand smoke is poison, it is not a parent's right to poison their children.

I totally agree with this @eapple.