Welfare recipient on vacation
  • beambeam
    @nothingivebecome - cheers!

Reminds me of my mom who was severely handicapped by RA (still worked), divorced, and raised 2 kids and used no assistance -- when my grandma (her mom) could longer drive my grandma gave my mom her car in exchange for weekly+ drives to wherever my grandma needed to go... she did this for years (old car). When my grandma died some of her brothers and sisters were angry that my grandma had given her the car - that they should sell it and divide the car up between all 8 children (basically about $100 each since the car was so old and not worth more than the parts)... My mom, who couldn't earn more due to her illness and who was helping out my grandma for years - some people are just ugly people.
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • Charlotte_SometimesCharlotte_Sometimes
    Something I am not understanding is HOW these people are able to take such advantage, unless they are selling meth or working a LOT "under the table" or something?

I just don't understand.  Maybe because I live in a state with really low benefit amounts.  My SIL is on SSI due to mental health problems AND physical (she has COPD and something seriously wrong with her back)...   she worked forever before applying when she got to the point where she couldn't work but she is someone who worked all her life to the best of her ability. She had a very rough time while waiting to try and get approved, because she couldn't work, had no income (my brother is in prison), she basically couch surfed a lot.

So now she has her SSI check and it's about $600 a month.  She is on housing and her rent is around $200 a month I think, then she has to pay utilities and phone and I know a lot of the meds she's on are not covered 100% by her health plan, then laundry at the laundromat, bus fare (she has no car), and she gets a whopping $30 a month in food stamps.

So she is able to live but at a very basic level.

Now the one time I got TANF when I first split from my ex  ten years ago the amount I received was something like $220 a month for me and 2 kids... it is now only about $260.  Those levels are very common in the South and there are drastic differences in the TANF amounts in other parts of the country where it is sometimes double that amount.

Anyway I was only on it for three months because that shit was crazy low and in order to keep it I spent 30 hours a week in job search / training activities at the unemployment office with no childcare help at all, and you can't bring the kids, it was summer and it was awful.   Honestly not worth it and I was so glad when I finally started getting child support for ONE kid which was more than the TANF for two and I was very happy to lose the TANF.

Housing is available but wait lists in my city are YEARS long.  I was on housing for a short time when my firstborn was a toddler but only because I chose to move to a nearby small town, it was the only way to get help within six months instead of 3 years.  And even then my life was much like my SILs except I had a kid.  1/3 of my income (I received child support at the time of $300 a month) went to rent, after utilities and diapers and laundry there was nothing left.

Food stamps are about the only thing where the amount is actually reasonable.  So I am just trying to wrap my brain around how people are getting all this stuff illegally when I know from experience that what you get is not even enough to pay rent anywhere, housing assistance  is almost impossible to get, and even if you got food stamps and sold half of them.. well... it just doesn't add up to being able to buy new cars and Coach purses.  And the hoops they make you jump through (here at least) for that $200 a month wouldn't leave much time for anything else.

I'm just kind of baffled.  I guess if you have a SO living with you on the sly who makes good money but other than that i don't know how they do this.
    "But a lesson must be lived in order to be learned" Ani DiFranco, Manhole
    "Screw you guys! I'm going home." Eric Cartman
  • DemandaDemanda
    @madme - I read your comment! It's just the relevant part is buried amongst the rest of my ramblings ;)
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • irishlassirishlass
    @madme, apologies. I sensed alot of resentment in this statement.. 
    " My point BEING - most of us cannot afford to take a 3 month vacation because we have JOBS that we cannot be away from for 3 months.  See what I mean?  I am not trying to say that @irishlass was in the wrong - I am just saying that I would LOVE to take 3 months off and get paid for it!

"Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Certain words were emphasized in the statement she quoted that would seem intense to people sensitive of this subject.
  • LilbitLilbit
    Im not any type of assistance, I work full time. I do know it is the nature of the beast that some people are going to work the system, whatever that system maybe, its not just welfare, worker's comp, disability etc. Do I think it is wrong. Hell Yes! But as someone stated above I would rather there be some abuse than no system at all for those that really need it. 

@CKLW You are kind of jumping the gun with that assumption. Like I said I work full time for the same employer for 7 years, and have never taken a real vacation ( taken a few days yes but never an extended amount of time) If I wanted to take a 3 month vacation I would have to work with my employer to schedule it but it would be granted. 
  • beambeam
    @Charlotte_Sometimes - I don't get it either. I'm not sure how it is there but here people complain about all the illegals on welfare but the thing is you can't get welfare if you are illegal... When I was inbetween jobs and didn't want to be a burden on my bf, I went to see if I was eligible and had to prove I was 100% legal immigrant (in the end my boyfriend made way too much money) -- but that is how I found out that 1. you have to be legal and 2. you can't make (nor anyone you are living with) even 75% of the minimum wage (earnings combined!! - even if you live with a roommate) --- They laughed when I told them what my bf did (I thought it was individual earnings - silly me)
    A broken heart is a rite of passage and, looking back, I must have wanted one pretty badly. "Kick me," I demanded, and when somebody finally did, I burst like a cheap piñata. - DAVID SEDARIS
  • momtomany74

Something I am not understanding is HOW these people are able to take such advantage, unless they are selling meth or working a LOT "under the table" or something?

I just don't understand.  Maybe because I live in a state with really low benefit amounts.  My SIL is on SSI due to mental health problems AND physical (she has COPD and something seriously wrong with her back)...   she worked forever before applying when she got to the point where she couldn't work but she is someone who worked all her life to the best of her ability. She had a very rough time while waiting to try and get approved, because she couldn't work, had no income (my brother is in prison), she basically couch surfed a lot.

So now she has her SSI check and it's about $600 a month.  She is on housing and her rent is around $200 a month I think, then she has to pay utilities and phone and I know a lot of the meds she's on are not covered 100% by her health plan, then laundry at the laundromat, bus fare (she has no car), and she gets a whopping $30 a month in food stamps.

So she is able to live but at a very basic level.

Now the one time I got TANF when I first split from my ex  ten years ago the amount I received was something like $220 a month for me and 2 kids... it is now only about $260.  Those levels are very common in the South and there are drastic differences in the TANF amounts in other parts of the country where it is sometimes double that amount.

Anyway I was only on it for three months because that shit was crazy low and in order to keep it I spent 30 hours a week in job search / training activities at the unemployment office with no childcare help at all, and you can't bring the kids, it was summer and it was awful.   Honestly not worth it and I was so glad when I finally started getting child support for ONE kid which was more than the TANF for two and I was very happy to lose the TANF.

Housing is available but wait lists in my city are YEARS long.  I was on housing for a short time when my firstborn was a toddler but only because I chose to move to a nearby small town, it was the only way to get help within six months instead of 3 years.  And even then my life was much like my SILs except I had a kid.  1/3 of my income (I received child support at the time of $300 a month) went to rent, after utilities and diapers and laundry there was nothing left.

Food stamps are about the only thing where the amount is actually reasonable.  So I am just trying to wrap my brain around how people are getting all this stuff illegally when I know from experience that what you get is not even enough to pay rent anywhere, housing assistance  is almost impossible to get, and even if you got food stamps and sold half of them.. well... it just doesn't add up to being able to buy new cars and Coach purses.  And the hoops they make you jump through (here at least) for that $200 a month wouldn't leave much time for anything else.

I'm just kind of baffled.  I guess if you have a SO living with you on the sly who makes good money but other than that i don't know how they do this.

In my long drawn out post, I stated the ways my lovely friend did it.
  • momtomany74
    My personal fave being getting WIC formula for her breastfeeding baby and selling it.

My personal fave being getting WIC formula for her breastfeeding baby and selling it.

Yeah I can see here and there making money off of benefits but still doesn't add up, to me, to coach purses and vacations and cars.   I'll go back and re-read your post though.  I just know how very very little people get here in benefits and the only ones I've known personally who worked the system did it via a boyfriend living with them when they weren't supposed to.
  • irishlassirishlass
    @Charlotte_sometimes I too wonder how people afford it. I am sooo frugal, and I still struggle to make ends meet. I mean I couldnt even afford to get my boy a birthday present! I figure at 3, the party is his present, right? 
    I kindof think that they must be getting outside help. I know there are people in the minority who do crazy things, like a girl I know's parents were both receiving benefits. On her 17th birthday she got a brand new mini, all kitted out. Her dad is well known for dealing drugs, and it was assumed thats where he got the money. However, we could be wrong. What if the parents just recieved inheritance/remortgaged the house/sold something valuable. 

In this country anyway, is hard to cheat the system. Its hard to get into it and its hard to get out of it. Its a bit shit. 
    "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." - Dr. Seuss
  • momtomany74

Yeah I can see here and there making money off of benefits but still doesn't add up, to me, to coach purses and vacations and cars.   I'll go back and re-read your post though.  I just know how very very little people get here in benefits and the only ones I've known personally who worked the system did it via a boyfriend living with them when they weren't supposed to.

Ten grand plus in student loans a year helps too. But yeah, if you're playing by the rules, I imagine you won't be seeing much luxury.
  • momtomany74
    ETA: She does get babysitting jobs here and there under the table.

Ten grand plus in student loans a year helps too. But yeah, if you're playing by the rules, I imagine you won't be seeing much luxury.

Yeah we (DW and I) both get student loans, but even so, it just means we can live decently, vs. having nothing at all. You know?  We are able to have a decent used car (one, we share), and sometimes hit the dollar theater and maybe afford a camping trip. 

But for the record (it was mentioned earlier, can't remember who said it) the funds from gov't student loans and grants does not count as income when it comes to getting benefits, or at least when it comes to food stamps / medicaid.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    madme said:

@Irishlass - Your assumption about me being resentful about working is also incorrect!  I loooooooove my job, I love the big house we own, the cars we own, the fact that we have NO debt besides the mortgage on our house.  I love that we can eat out 2 or 3 times a week and not have to struggle to pay the bills.  I also am able to do everything that a SAHM can do AND work... so nah, I wouldn't change my life for anything... 

But thanks for your concern.

I don't think rubbing in that you have a lot is of benefit, or appropriate to this discussion. And quite, honestly, until you've walked a mile, you're being pretty judgmental, and you cannot possibly understand.  I know I didn't.  Until a year ago, I had a six figure income, my car is paid for, my mortgage is modest, thank God, and I have little to no credit card debt...I'd be totally screwed if I did.  The only investments I have left is my 401K that isn't worth 1/2 what it should be because the stock market keeps crashing and burning.  This is the first time in almost 20 years of doing what I do that I've seen the economy hit my industry, and it was hit hard.  

If my family offered me an extended holiday somewhere, I'd probably take it, because quite frankly, the stress of the last year is taking it's toll.  .@Irishlass:  you enjoy yourself, wish I could be there with you, and btw, Happy Belated 21st birthday.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • momtomany74

Yeah we (DW and I) both get student loans, but even so, it just means we can live decently, vs. having nothing at all. You know?  We are able to have a decent used car (one, we share), and sometimes hit the dollar theater and maybe afford a camping trip. 

But for the record (it was mentioned earlier, can't remember who said it) the funds from gov't student loans and grants does not count as income when it comes to getting benefits, or at least when it comes to food stamps / medicaid.

I thought it did for cash assistance but alas, I could be wrong. She doesn't take school seriously. Only goes for $$$
  • miamental
    I think if you're on welfare then it is to help you because you do not have enough enough money for luxary items. I myself and on welfare but my husband are planning on trying to save up money for our annivesary in two years to go to New York for a weekend. If you can save up that's nice but we do need the assitance for food because we really can not afford it right now. And so far have yet to save up anything for NY either, stuff for our 2yo is so expensive, esp clothes and diapers.
  • irishlassirishlass
    @momtomany74 with my schooling I dont get loans, I get a grant of around £200 with each course of a particular caliber and that doesn't affect my benefits in any way, but then again I am in a different country. 
    irishlass said:

@momtomany74 with my schooling I dont get loans, I get a grant of around £200 with each course of a particular caliber and that doesn't affect my benefits in any way, but then again I am in a different country. 

Here it's optional ( the loans)... grants are small and cover tuition and sometimes books at community colleges.  At a university it might cover tuition but only at a lower cost state university.  Loans are optional but it's the only way to get extra money to help with cost of living and so forth aside from working while in school, obviously, and scholarships.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @madme:  if that's true then you are the last person I would expect to make such a snarky statement.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • momtomany74

In case I came off as a judgemental meanie, I just want to clarify a few things.

I am pretty much a bleeding heart liberal in most ways, and I think the fact we have welfare benefits for people is very humane and great. Heck, I am far from some wealthy woman. We live paycheck to paycheck. I do a lot of frugal living partly do to finances and partly due to being crunchy :D

Anyways, I don't want you to think I am judging you irishlass. If you are trying to make a better life and need help along the way, I only commend you. This goes for everyone else who are just trying to live as well in hopes of making a better life one day.

Where I DO have the problem with my friend (and if anyone else is like her, them too) is when you get your benefits in a dishonest way. Like how my friend forged a doctor's note so she could get out of working. Come on now, she has had a free ride now for 9 years. Isn't it time she gives back to society?  And how she used to get WIC formula for a breastfeeding baby and the sell the formula for money. How fair is that to people like my husband who work their asses off and still have trouble making ends meet at times? Also, student loan money is to help with the cost of living while going to school, NOT for taking your five kids to Disney world and blowing all the money, and when it comes time when your utlilities are high, you being able to mooch off your community to help pay your bills in addition to your free welfare money. Also, it's not for buying piles and piles of X-Mas presents for your kids and then using the Toys For Tots and other organizations for even MORE toys in addition. What about the poor children who have nothing? How dare her take those toys from them! Like I said, she plays the system like it's her job. Said friend gets about $1000 a month in cash assistance and disability for one of her kids who is "slow." Having to pay zero for rent, food or medical and having ten grand a year in student loans and 1000 a month in welfare money is living pretty well IMO when everything else is paid for free and clear.

Why should she live better than people like my husband who has paid into the system for 38 years?

I think one time when I could have gone completely postal on her was when I told her I was tired of my husband bringing candy home (not for the financial but nutritional aspect) for the kids every night and her saying he has no reason to spend that much a month in candy cause it adds up. He works for it dammit!

I hope I didn't offend any of you good people who are getting benefits honestly.

• BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    It was not bitchy.  This is what you wrote @madme:  
    Your assumption about me being resentful about working is also incorrect!  I loooooooove my job, I love the big house we own, the cars we own, the fact that we have NO debtbesides the mortgage on our house.  I love that we can eat out 2 or 3 times a week and not have to struggle to pay the bills.  I also am able to do everything that a SAHM can do AND work... so nah, I wouldn't change my life for anything... 

given the topic of this thread and to what your comment was in response, it was at the very least, bragging and rubbing it in that you are financially "better" than everyone commenting here.  I wonder would you be fairing so well if you lost even half of one of your incomes?  If you have been here before, than I think a little empathy is in order. @Irishlass was able to make use of an opportunity, she's in school and her SO was there for school, so it's not like she took off to Bermuda to slack off...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @momtomany74:  yeah, she should give back...she should have all her benefits stripped away and sent to jail...like the woman who hit a million dollar lottery ticket and stayed on welfare...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • [Deleted User]
    Going back to the original post of this thread- I think it is very dangerous to make assumptions about how someone is able to afford certain things/maintain a certain outward appearance. Yes, there are those who abuse the system, and this abuse is endemic in some communities, but before we go and judge people, can we please acknowledge that we still live in a country where equal opportunity most certainly does NOT exist?

I find it heinous to provide little or poor educational and advancement opportunities to groups of people (usually along socioeconomic lines) including skills like budgeting and job training- and then holding it against them when they use a system that is supposed to be a safety net. We need to focus on trying to teach those who abuse the system in a positive way to be contributing members of society- not hating on them for not knowing how to take the next step when we deprived them of that ability in the first place.
  • momtomany74
    Rosie08 said:

I wanted to add that student loans have to be repaid; it's not "free money", so of course it's not counted. You pay it back, with interest. I'll be paying mine for eternity, and that's partially why, even as a teacher with a Masters, I'll be struggling for years to come. That and the cost of healthcare/insurance. I'm not on assistance, but Lord knows that we are one crisis away from having what little we have taken away. Anyone of us could be on the street at anytime. I know people abuse it, but that's truly the minority.

With the fact she's nowhere close to a degree and only got it for the money, I almost feel bad for her when it comes time to repay it. Maybe she can scam the state for more money to pay it back. Dunno...
  • momtomany74

Going back to the original post of this thread- I think it is very dangerous to make assumptions about how someone is able to afford certain things/maintain a certain outward appearance. Yes, there are those who abuse the system, and this abuse is endemic in some communities, but before we go and judge people, can we please acknowledge that we still live in a country where equal opportunity most certainly does NOT exist?

I find it heinous to provide little or poor educational and advancement opportunities to groups of people (usually along socioeconomic lines) including skills like budgeting and job training- and then holding it against them when they use a system that is supposed to be a safety net. We need to focus on trying to teach those who abuse the system in a positive way to be contributing members of society- not hating on them for not knowing how to take the next step when we deprived them of that ability in the first place.

In my friend' case, she's from an upper middle class family and could've done so much better. She had more opportunites than most who are on welfare. So it wasn't something she grew up in.
  • AnonUser28
    @chocoholic I don't know if we deprived them of the opportunity, maybe failed to provide it, or failed to make it easily accesible. At the very least, we should focus on teaching their children how to be more productive members of society.
  • ClassicalMama
    @madme I'm going to chime in and support you here, I've read everyone's responses to the OC and I can't help but to agree with you on so many points. I don't think you've been bitchy or unfair. 

I don't think is safe to assume anything about anyone. Having said that, I've been working poor for many years, and made "too much" to qualify for any kind of assistance. We didn't vacation, we didn't have resources for new technology, (had to use the library for a computer, only had a home phone, no cell phone but never had an empty fridge (scarce yes) were able to buy an occasional shirt 2nd hand). But even a small luxury was out of the question. So it's a hard pill to swallow when there are people who, for whatever reason, get to have a small luxury when I worked 60+ hours a week to afford food and clothing. Not saying that someone doesn't or does deserve something, but it makes me pause....
  • KellynnKellynn
    Wow, left a comment, went about my business, came back much later to sm, and find I have been snarky and am making assumptions? My comment wasn't meant to be snarky at all. I'm glad @irishlass was able to go away for three months. My point was, MOST people who have jobs cannot afford the time, even IF the vacation was paid for. However, if I was getting assistance, and did not work, I could go, if the holiday was paid for by someone else.
  • momtomany74

I don't thik is safe to assume anything about anyone. Having said that, I've been working poor for many years, and made "too much" to qualify for any kind of assistance. We didn't vacation, we didn't have resources for new technology, (had to use the library for a computer, only had a home phone, no cell phone but never had an empty fridge (scarce yes) were able to buy an occasional shirt 2nd hand). But even a small luxury was out of the question. So it's a hard pill to swallow when there are people who, for whatever reason, get to have a small luxury when I worked 60+ hours a week to afford food and clothing. Not saying that someone doesn't or does deserve something, but it makes me pause....

This exactly!
  • jacigirl6354
    As fas as the people who are wondering "how" people can afford the extras...a lot of the welfare "lifers" around here DON'T use the money they get for the appropriate things. They DON'T pay their bills. They let the rent go until they get kicked out, leave their rental home in shambles and move on to the next one. When the landlord goes to clean up the mess, they find piles upon piles of clothing that they have gotten from Caring and Sharing and other "free" donation sites. The renters, instead of doing laundry, just go and get more handouts. Often there are several adults living in the same home so they are able to move about putting leases and utilities under different names having ZERO expenses for a roof over their heads and utilities. Yet they have plenty of money to sit and smoke their cartons of cigarettes on their front porches and buy their children the latest video games.
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    We can all find some sort of anecdotal evidence to back up our opinions: I know this person who did this so it must mean the problem is endemic. 

I understand first hand the frustration of seeing people manipulate a system to receive benefits, or money they haven't earned, this percentage of people is so minimal that I don't waste my time worrying about it. BUT until they pass a law stating that you have the right to see anyone on welfare's receipts, or income tax, the reality is you don't know where they got the money or why they're receiving the benefits. 

I would like to point out however that this conversation has come off offensive to people who use benefits properly (as stated previously in this thread). That's the problem with dialogues like this, generalizations hurt, and all this conversation is accomplishing is making people who are honestly using the system feel guilty for receiving any sort of luxury at all. Now I know this wasn't the intention, but it's the reality. 

community-manager

• momtomany74

As fas as the people who are wondering "how" people can afford the extras...a lot of the welfare "lifers" around here DON'T use the money they get for the appropriate things. They DON'T pay their bills.

• momtomany74
    ^^That...exactly.
  • jacigirl6354
    And to clarify, those who need the assistance and use it properly, God Bless, it's what it's there for. I was 19 when I had DS. DH and I were not yet married, I was a CNA making jack crap for wages and he drove truck cross country. I was on WIC and Title 19. My parents had just revamped their insurance shortly before we found out I was pregnant. The insurance company wouldn't cover me saying my PG was a "pre-existing condition", therefore I went on Title 19. When DS got off of formula, I got off WIC. When I got a different job, I got off Title 19. I thank God every day that those programs were available. I went back to work when he was 6 weeks old and often worked double shifts to try to make ends meet so we didn't need the assistance anymore. There were certainly no extras, lots of garage sale clothes and lots of help from our parents to make it through. That was 15 years ago. I still donate to assistance programs, food banks, etc. My heart aches for the people who need the help and use it properly, its the few bad apples that ruin the whole basket.
  • wtfwit
    I feel there isn't a problem with people getting assistance and have REASONABLE extra's (idk i went blank on the right word lmao.. no coffee yet). I get assistance and have a nice vehicle, im buying a home, but I don't lie about it to HHSC either. The problem I see that bothers me are when they lie put other vehicles in other peoples names, selling drugs saying they dont have any income, they are dressed in "mall" clothing look damn good but the whole reason they are getting the assistance (the kids) running around dirty barefoot hair in there face. If the parent looks ready to take a pic to post on fb, why shouldnt the lil babies? When I was in school and preg with my last baby, I tried to get welfare. I was told my income had to be less than $250 and be required to take work classes and do 20 hours community service! I didn't qualify, but OMG, that really opened my eyes to how poor you really have to be to get TANF in Texas. For people to lie and take that away from people that really need that is really heartbreaking.
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    I want to add something that is very rarely thought about:

When cuts come to programs like Welfare, the cuts aren't usually to the amount people are receiving, they're to the administrative side of the program. If you want these programs to work effectively, you have to pay for the right amount of employees to make the program work effectively. These administrative costs have gotten slashed over the years; there are less employees to check into everyone's situations, or to keep track of everyone's situations, people will fall through the cracks (meaning both people who need assistance not receiving it, and people who don't need the assistance receiving it). If you want these programs to work well, urge your government to invest in the administrative side, hire more counsellors, provide enough stuff to run the program effectively. 

community-manager

• fma
    @CanadianMama, thank you for giving the conversation some sort of direction that allows for the discussion of ideas and the infrastructure of social programs without the need for anecdotal evidence.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    there was a news piece not long ago about the abuses, like merchants ringing up booze as food, or charges and giving cash back from EBT cards.  I can't remember if it was here, or elsewhere, or generally all over, but there is a crackdown on this.  Thank God, because I find this kind of thing abhorrent and it makes it harder for everyone.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • momtomany74

And to clarify, those who need the assistance and use it properly, God Bless, it's what it's there for. I was 19 when I had DS. DH and I were not yet married, I was a CNA making jack crap for wages and he drove truck cross country. I was on WIC and Title 19. My parents had just revamped their insurance shortly before we found out I was pregnant. The insurance company wouldn't cover me saying my PG was a "pre-existing condition", therefore I went on Title 19. When DS got off of formula, I got off WIC. When I got a different job, I got off Title 19. I thank God every day that those programs were available. I went back to work when he was 6 weeks old and often worked double shifts to try to make ends meet so we didn't need the assistance anymore. There were certainly no extras, lots of garage sale clothes and lots of help from our parents to make it through. That was 15 years ago. I still donate to assistance programs, food banks, etc. My heart aches for the people who need the help and use it properly, its the few bad apples that ruin the whole basket.

When used in this respect, I am totally for it!
  • Krissi6Krissi6

I'm going to buy my son a icecream pizza for his Birthday party on Sun. w/ foodstamps! Does that make me a bad mother or person? I think NOT! I am simply giving him something that he really wants and he will enjoy it! Plus I am going to make a pinata w/ him and buy the candy w/ food stamps. How rotten am I?!?!?! We don't have anything majorly extravagent, we bought some nice things with our income tax return, like new bikes for the kids, since theirs were all too small for them, we ended up getting a new computer, since our other one died, but mostly our money goes to bills. So ppl can look and talk all they want, ppl who recieve help should be able to get nice things, but should also be resourceful, I buy most of my kids clothes at thrift shops or on clearance, I very rarely buy new things and when I do I don't pay full price for them.

My husband works and works hard, yes we recieve assistance, because we have a bigger family, and his job simply doesn't cover all of our expenses, so we get FS and Medical help. He gets shit all the time from ppl at his work for getting FS. One guy tells him he should be working 70-80 hrs. a week so that we don't need to get it. WTF!!!!! And when would he be able to see his kids and be a dad? Then the same guy would probably accuse him of being a bad dad and not being there for his kids if one of them happened to get into trouble while he was working those 70-80 hrs.

• momtomany74
    Krissi6 said:

I'm going to buy my son a icecream pizza for his Birthday party on Sun. w/ foodstamps! Does that make me a bad mother or person? I think NOT! I am simply giving him something that he really wants and he will enjoy it! Plus I am going to make a pinata w/ him and buy the candy w/ food stamps. How rotten am I?!?!?! We don't have anything majorly extravagent, we bought some nice things with our income tax return, like new bikes for the kids, since theirs were all too small for them, we ended up getting a new computer, since our other one died, but mostly our money goes to bills. So ppl can look and talk all they want, ppl who recieve help should be able to get nice things, but should also be resourceful, I buy most of my kids clothes at thrift shops or on clearance, I very rarely buy new things and when I do I don't pay full price for them.

My husband works and works hard, yes we recieve assistance, because we have a bigger family, and his job simply doesn't cover all of our expenses, so we get FS and Medical help. He gets shit all the time from ppl at his work for getting FS. One guy tells him he should be working 70-80 hrs. a week so that we don't need to get it. WTF!!!!! And when would he be able to see his kids and be a dad? Then the same guy would probably accuse him of being a bad dad and not being there for his kids if one of them happened to get into trouble while he was working those 70-80 hrs.

Again, my point is I think it should be for people like ya'll, busting your asses for a better living. And good for you for getting nice things with your tax return since you pay into the system.
  • KindredSpiritKindredSpirit
    Wow!  I didn't expect so much response to my post.  Anyway, it's an entirely different story when people work and still need assistance or if they have medical issues or need assistance for a short time for whatever reason.  But, I was talking about someone who does not work and lies about the "rent" that she pays.  People who get assistance can certainly have some nice things, but to completely abuse the system is what pisses me off.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @sahm84:  sadly, the few who do make it soooo much harder for those that don't and it's not just social services that gets abused, it's everywhere.  I know people who pad expense reports, and time sheets in my industry.  It infuriates me, because all it does is end up screwing everybody in the end.

Because of abuses of the "system," I can no longer buy lunch for my study coordinators who work hard for not a lot of money...it was never that way before, but as I said, a few fuck it up for the rest...
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • ClassicalMama
    Everyone's situation is totally unique, and you can't ever really judge how someone got into their situation.. but I still don't know about luxuries and I don't know if this makes me a bad guy or not. I don't know if a luxury (how ever you define it) should be a "right". Sure, food, clothing, shelter, access to health care- yes, basic necessities of life I think are reasonable to provide for people. And I have no problem with people who need help in a temporary way, as @jacigirl6354 put it. I'm totally on board with the comments about many of the 'lifers' out there abusing the system, but I think there are many people who abuse the system, not a small number.

But to me, a luxury is not a necessity, not something you need to live. It's something you earn once you've covered your basics. I think our society has lost touch with what we perceive we need in order to live. Even if it is what everyone else has, or does, or is normal or common place, doesn't make it any less of a luxury... just my 2 cents.
  • irishlassirishlass
    @classicalmama should people on benefits only have the basics because they are not earning money? 
    How about if they are doing voluntary work? do they earn luxuries then? 
    How about if they are completely unable to work? Then do they deserve luxuries?
  • AnonUser35
    I think it depends on how you define luxuries.
  • irishlassirishlass
    I agree, I just wondered. If luxuries are anything that is not a necessity. Who deserves them and who doesnt?
  • pdxmama
    There are a ton of things that I don't *need*, that are not anywhere close to being luxury items, but the rationale that anything beyond what you need in order to live is a luxury is a bit much I think. Shit, by those standards people on assistance shouldn't be buying hair products, any cosmetic or hygiene products actually, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, tampons, toys for kids, a new pair of $5 flip flops for the summer, a treat from the ice cream truck at the park once in while... The list could go on and on. So @classicalmama if only "basic necessities of life are reasonable to provide for people... Even if it is something that everyone else has, or does, or is normal or commonplace" would you then define all of the things I mentioned as luxurious?