193589 - Coworker lied
  • LoveLove
    my co-worker confessed to me that she lied on her job app. & doesn't even have her GED, & neither does her fiance. she's 22 & 6mos preg. w/ their 1st kid. i didnt know what to think.

community-manager

• regpregp
    I saw this :( 
    What a spot for her to put the confessor in. 
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • LoveLove
    I saw this, and it just caught my eye for some reason. I don't know if you're trying to sort out in your own head whether or not you should say something... but the thought may have flitted through my mind, especially if said employee was problematic.

My thoughts?
    Lying is bad. Lying is wrong. However...that's her mistake. Who knows? I may have to do worse things one day than lie on a job application, if it means feeding myself and my kids.

If the employer didn't check up on it, I doubt that you have cause to worry over it.

Is it taking away anything from you, that she has this job without a GED? (Because if it is, I would be sooo frustrated! But if it's not, what difference does it really make?)

Maybe you could gently suggest to her, that since she lied, that is grounds for firing her, and that's a position she really shouldn't want to find herself in, being pregnant and all. She should go ahead and look into completing her GED post-haste!

community-manager

• ToothfairyToothfairy
    I totally agree with @Love. Lying is wrong, but is the lack of education affecting the job she's doing? Did she just lie about not having high school diploma, or did she lie about not having a college degree? 
    Again, lying is totally wrong, and I'm not making light of the situation, but if she's just lacking a high school diploma, then it probably won't make much difference, especially if it's a position only requiring on-the-job-training. I'm sure if her employer found out, she'd be in some hot water. It's never a good idea to lie on a job app.
  • SammieSammie
    I completely agree with @toothfairy and @love. While I would never promote lying on a job application, I can certainly understand why some people feel desperate enough to do so. She's young, pregnant, and needs a job in this crappy economy. She probably knew it wasn't a great idea, but felt she had no other choice. Back against the wall. I'd do whatever I had to do to feed my kids if I was in a moment of absolute desperation as well. It's never a good idea to lie to your employer, but saying you have a GED when you don't is certainly not the worst thing that can/does happen in the workplace. I'd heed @Love's advice. Tell her that lying isn't a good idea, and telling others about it is an even worse idea, and encourage her to pursue her GED. If she's doing a good job, then I don't see the need to inform your superiors of her indiscretion. 

The only way that I would be tempted to inform someone is if it will negatively impact you and your employment status, but I don't see that happening since this is obviously a secret.

community-manager