I need some ideas for a girl's superhero costume
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    So my daughter (6) is in day camp this summer. I have just been informed that tomorrow (July 8) is superhero day. The kids are all supposed to come dressed as superheroes. I am somewhat irritated by this, for a number of reasons:
    1) My to-do list is long enough, thank you, without having another item added to it.
    2) More than one day's notice would have been nice!
    3) My daughter is ultra girly. She doesn't have any superhero stuff and while she may have heard of Wonder Woman, she has never shown any interest in her or any other female superhero (superheroine?). I don't have anything even remotely resembling a superhero costume in the house, and there is no damn way I am going to waste money buying something she's never going to wear again. And for a bunch of reasons I won't bore you with, shopping today is an impossibility.

But my daughter does want to participate in superhero day. At first, she thought this was just a dress-up day, and she was going to wear her tutu and ballet shoes. But this superhero business has thrown us for a loop.

So what do I do, ladies? Put her in the tutu, stick a cape on the back of it, and call her Super Ballerina Girl? Or do you have any brilliant ideas? I'm not feeling particularly creative at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Dude. That actually sounds really cute. Maybe a magic beam throwing wand to thwart the evil villains, a bit of pink fabric with eye holes as a mask.... ummmm... a super power ring... ha. She takes leaps and bounds to a whole new level. Call her Twirly Girl!
    deus ex machina
  • [Deleted User]
    glam girl? I suck at this.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
  • [Deleted User]
    Oh My Gosh! that is so freaking adorable!
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Perfect!
    deus ex machina
  • Anonymous
    I particularly like the bat-wing effect on the blue cape. Most excellent!
  • StarsStars
    What about a PowderPuff girl? tutu and a cape will suffice and if you can run to cvs and get her some temp purple or blue hair gel you're golden!
    apsycho

I tried the cape thing, but she was adamant that she wanted to just be a ballerina. Okay, then. The funny part was that as we were walking across the parking lot at day camp, her friend from school, who is in the same camp group, hollered "[daughter's name]! Look at me! I'm a mermaid! I'm Ariel! ARIEL!!"

And she was - no cape either. So they're both doing their girly thing at camp as we speak!

Thanks for the great suggestions, ladies!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    That's awesome! :)
  • ImWendyImWendy
    You know for girls, princesses kind of ARE superheroes!
    deus ex machina
    True!