56771 Breaking your own water
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    WIth my last pregnancy,I broke my own water at 38 weeks and had my baby the same day. Am considering the same thing now. Get this baby OUT!!!!!!

*** oh my! I understand it's hard (the last few weeks) but omg that's SUPER dangerous!!! you can still be pregnant for weeks even with a broken water. yup. not safe.
    “I did then what I knew to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” (Maya Angelou)
    http://www.primalmomma.com
  • ImWendyImWendy
    I can't even imagine how one goes about doing this? Knitting needle??
    deus ex machina
  • LoveLove
    Don't. Do. That.

community-manager

• [Deleted User]
    Oh that sounds like a bad idea.
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    It'll put both you and your baby at risk of infection. DON'T DO IT!

community-manager

• ImWendyImWendy
    I nearly came out of my skin with pain when the doctors broke my water all three times. I can't imagine doing it myself!
    deus ex machina
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Extremely unwise.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • breezybreezy
    I don't know you would go about doing that but I would advise against it. Your body will be ready when its ready... In the case when its not... Leave it to the pros.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    I bet her doctor would induce her next week if she just asks!
    deus ex machina
  • supermommy
    I needed my water broke all three times and it wasn't pleasent. Not to mention when it broke all three times my labor pains intensified almost instantly. Couldn't imagine why u would do that. There are other safe methods for enducing labor.
    Sex- sperm contains something that actually softens the cervix and orgasms cause contractions
    Nipple stimulation - not fun at all but effective. It takes several hours of painful nipple tweaking but it causes intense painful contractions
    Walking - gravity works

Breaking your own water is extremely dangerous. If the baby isn't ready or in position you could have a breach birth or the cord could wrap around the baby's neck. Add the risk of infections or other birth complications and you have a bad idea all around. DO NOT do this. To do it is selfish and irresponsible, which makes me question your ability as a mother.
  • MamaT
    Yikes! I totally get where you're coming from, OP. I am currently HUGE as a whale waiting for my baby to come but breaking your own water?!!! Not a good idea. There are so many other ways to bring on labour - but really, the baby will come when he/ she is good and ready. So put your feet up, enjoy the last few days/ weeks of pregnancy and hang tight. You're not alone! :)
  • InsanityandChaosInsanityandChaos
    My water never broke with either of my kids. I cannot even contemplate the thought of doing it on my own just because I was sick of being pregnant!
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    i never broke my own water, it actually did it on its own with all 3. but, i did get my membranes stripped by my dr.
  • SammieSammie
    Whoa. Not a good idea at all. Not safe for you or baby. If you want to go into labor that badly, then you should just tell your doctor. They will strip your membranes or induce you if they knew you were willing to resort to these measures on your own!

Also, I realize the last few weeks can be MISERABLE, but having your baby full term (if possible) is the BEST thing for him/her. Keep that in mind on the most uncomfortable, miserable days.

community-manager

• CAAMommyCAAMommy
    Yeah I agree with Sammie. Stripping the membranes works! I did it with my last 2 and it totally works. Sperm works too, like supermommy said. Don't risk infection to your innocent baby, because you want him/her out!
  • mental_statemental_state
    Breaking the waters before hand, so not a good idea. One of the most common occurrences is prolapse of the cord, then the babies head drops down and cuts off its own blood supply. Sweep if you must but not the waters.
  • Anonymous
    Wow this is quite possibly the most ridiculous confession ever. Such a selfishly mindless thing to do!!
  • Anonymous
    It hurts me to even think about it. How do you get TO the bag of water? Then how do you break it? And doesn't it hurt like crazy? This is a bit over the top for me. Go for a walk, ride a four wheeler down a bumpy road, eat some eggplant parmesan, have sex nonstop...anything but reaching in there and breaking your water. Damn!
  • Anonymous
    so fucking dumb.