Ice Cream and Food Stamps
  • Anonymous
    58325: I use my food stamp card to buy healthy nutritious things. My home is healthy! Sure, we have occasional treats. Why the dirty comments in the grocery line for 1 pint of ice cream and a coke??

58337: I want to scream at trashy people paying for coke products/flat out junk food with a food stamp card!! Instead, I give the mist disgusted face I can....those purchases should NOT be allowed!!!!!

I should flag 58337 because you reacted to a confession, but I won't. I'll see if someone else does that. Based on your confession I'm assuming you're calling me trashy. How Nice. Moving on.
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    first off, who the fuck are you to judge others on their grocery purchases? and second off, grow some balls you judgy assholes and say something. don't give a look. quit being scared and say something. lol, but you're too scared to because you know those people would embarass the shit out of you. is it really worth getting worked up over someone buying soda and ice cream? get a life and mind your own business
  • Anonymous
    I love the one about how welfare should be stopped because it makes people lazy. I have a family member on disability and food stamps. They would not survive without due to a terminal illness. SO, yeah, fuck off
  • the ignorance and cruelty of some people astound me. lol
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    indeed @rosebudsmommy.
    don't they realize that it could be them one day? i never thought i would end up needing foodstamps, yet i do. regardless if you have a good job or not, sometimes things happen beyond your control. be nice to the people on the way up the ladder, because they are going to be the same ones you see on your way down.
  • It's just a bunch of dumb people who think they have the right to dictate other people's 'approved' items... hogwash. unless they're buying up the liquor store I don't see the problem.
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    and liquor or liquor related products (mixes) aren't even allowed, lol
    nor are prepared foods or tobacco of any kind. at least in my state.

just more people on their high horse.
    “I did then what I knew to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” (Maya Angelou)
    http://www.primalmomma.com
  • hercrazymomma
    If someone needs foodstamps or assistance who am I to judge what they spend it on. What if the ice cream or coke is the only treat they have that month? I know people who abuse the system and that makes me crazy, but I don't think junk food or soda is abusing the system. If they are going to ban someone from using assistance money for snacks, are they going to ban fat people from buying ice cream? Keep your eyes in your own cart, SERIOUSLY.
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    oooo!! that's interesting!! @lizzwizzy
    “I did then what I knew to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” (Maya Angelou)
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    @momof2boys haha, cart nazis!
  • InsanityandChaosInsanityandChaos
    For one thing, why is it that certain people take it as a personal attack or something if they see someone using food stamps to pay for junk food? It's not you who has to eat it and the reasoning that THEY are paying for it with their taxes is ludicrous. In my state you get a certain amount of money each month to go towards food. So yeah, if you fill your cart with a ton of junk that is expensive that is just less food you get to buy, but it's not costing the taxpayer MORE or anything. And for another thing. WHO THE FUCK CARES??!! I only wish I had time to kill going to the grocery store and examining what another person is buying!
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    @insanityandchaos, amen to that.

I'm still giggling at the cart nazis comment. Or maybe that's cuz I got 4 hrs sleep last night? LOL
  • brandyhx
    people don't even realize you can be working 40 hrs a week like every "good American" and STILL QUALIFY FOR ASSISTANCE. so you can be paying into foodstamps the same time you are taking out. and in my state, oh, last year i believe there was either 1 million or 1 billion in unclaimed assistance and they were actually encouraging people to apply. so i don't think people should be so judgemental. we will all have to pay our taxes regardless of what ppl on fs buy. yes i have a job and i have been on foodstamps so i'm speaking from both sides
  • Anonymous
    In California, those without the means to cook can use their foodstamps to buy fast food. Yup- your tax dollars going to burgers and fries. I do judge that. Already there's been reports of homeless guys using their EBT cards to buy food for people in exchange for cash for alcohol. Just what I pay taxes for.
  • sanityseekersanityseeker
    hmmmmmm so the homeless can use it for fast food? others cant though can they?
    "If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
    Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
    Can't in Illinois.
  • SammieSammie
    I usually avoid these types of threads because I am THAT person who gets highly offended by others judging someone else's circumstances when they know NOTHING about them.

Before anyone goes on a rant about me, I do not use assistance and I (thank God) don't need to. We are (really) far from being rich, but we make enough to be comfortable. So, I pay my taxes and some of that money goes toward federal assistance programs and I do NOT waste my time worrying that my 1/6,000,000th of a damn penny went toward some stranger's ice cream! For the love people! If you needed food stamps, you would still probably treat yourself and/or your children to a pint of ice cream every now and then. If you say that you wouldn't, you're lying. You should just be thanking whoever it is that you believe in that you don't have to rely on federal assistance and face the scrutiny of the entitled, judgmental strangers.

community-manager

• brandyhx
    @Sammie I completely agree with you! when you are that low on cash, a little treat like that can make your day!
  • FreeToBeMe
    I think its just downright cruel, when over half of the country is in a massive heat wave, that someone would judge someone buying ICE CREAM with fs ?????!!!! Also, i think it is really cool that now you can use those benefits for seeds, seedlings and at farmers markets.
  • Anonymous
    In Georgia, if you get food stamps, child support or if you get money for having foster children, they all go on the same card. Really, I think people should worry about their own cart and not what is in others, but if they judge by the card, there is no way to tell if it is food stamps or not.
  • Anonymous
    What if it was like this- cart nazi says:"how dare you buy ice cream and coke with that card that the money came from my taxes" Ice cream buyer says "its for my kids b-day/party....guess my kid shouldn't have those things since I'm going through a rough patch you d*ckwad" Or some other similar scenerio. Im ok w/ no tobacco, mixed/alcohol!
    What if they were diabetic and bought those or something similar to keep on hand for a low blood sugar episode. Think before you speak/type!
  • supermommy
    Amen anon!
  • Anonymous
    it burns me up when ppl have an ebt card and all they have in the cart is junk and pop and nothing else. sure they might be having a party but everytime i see them its the same. Now before ppl get after me i will explain. I tried eight times to get food stamps or some kind of help and we were turned down. We never had money for anything food or bills, still don't, living for free in f-i-l rental, we used a space heater to heat the bedroom in the winter and let the house freeze. then i found out baby was on the way(stupid condoms dont always work) so we lived on wick. thank the heavens for wick! even then when rationed the wick food so it could last. Man its hard to make a meal out of beans, eggs, and peanut butter. I skipped meals so did hubby. I ate once maybe twice if i couldn't last and hubby ate one meal a day if i found change then he could get a hostess snack from a gas station for luch. So yeah we were starving ebt was denied us and i saw ppl wasting it on chips, pop, candy, and other junk. so i do have a beef with those who abuse a gift like ebt. I do have it now though and sometimes i treat myself to ice cream, i shop smart though. I understand now how ppl who lived through the depression still have the must save mentality, cuz i still shop like i have no money for food and cook like i dont have food. any one out there ever try going a week with only have 3 meals and being preggers?
    I have earned the right to judge the other ebt users on the waste of food they have in their carts.
  • Anonymous
    Welfare is abused by many people and a lot of us are sick and damn tired of it. That said, I don't begrudge anyone the occasional pint of ice cream, EBT or not. Carry on.
  • redneck_momredneck_mom
    In my state, they CAN buy prepared food at a deli, as long as it gets plated, then they walk around until it gets cold. When I worked at a grocery with a deli, we had one family that came in every single night and everybody chose what they wanted. Then they'd go stick their plates in the freezer for a half hour or so while they sat outside at the picnic tables.
  • Anonymous
    Wait till you see the person in front of you at the liquor store paying with an EBT card and selecting the foodstamp option...THEN you can bitch...until then, get off your high horse and get a damn life.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous n8turenut, in your case, I agree, you have EVERY right to be annoyed/angry. I feel the same! I'm serviving on SSI, but keep getting denied for everything else, because I pay my rent to a family member instead of a stranger.
  • supermommy
    Same is true here @momof2boys the sad fact is that people who actually need the system to help them often have to be tricky and work the system for the help they need. Burns me up, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and all those other cliches.
    I still stick by my original opinion. They get a certain amount of money per month for food. It's their business if they are burning it up on crap. I agree that the system is unfair. There are way too many people who need the help but do not get it. However that is not the fault of the people who do get approved. So the people who are not approved and angry, while justified in your anger, you are taking it out on the wrong people. They may be dumb by making unwise choices but they are not at fault that you did not get approved.
  • redneck_momredneck_mom
    Hey, beef jerky and a Diet Dr Pepper is the breakfast of champions, especially when washed down with powdered sugar donuts! But, i don't have food stamps, so I guess I'm permitted to eat all the junk food I want, right?

I tell ya what's more irritating, the family member who buys Pantene when a cheaper shampoo works just as well, and buys family packs of ribeyes, and then asks to borrow money for diapers.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I wish we could buy seeds & stuff at the farmers market with ebt (in NC). It just makes sense! Let us buy cheaper, fresher veggies/fruits & help the local economy. I would be all over that!
  • SammieSammie
    The WIC program gives out Farmer's Market vouchers to qualifying families during the Spring/Summer in addition to their standard vouchers. (Here in the Pacific Northwest at least) I see signs at all of the markets we attend that say 'WIC vouchers accepted' here. I'm not sure if they allow you to purchase plants or not, but at least you are using the money locally AND obtaining healthy, fresh foods while getting to take advantage of an awesome experience.

community-manager

• FreeToBeMe
    The issue with the farmers markets actually in many places is the simple technicality of who pays for the equipment/upgrades that would allow the vendor to take the card. I would have to look for it but there actually was some kind of non federal grant that was giving out money to farmers market vendors to purchase the machines.
  • Anonymous
    i really wish i knew why we were denied 8 time. nothing changed with us and then i tried once more and we got it. i even went to the office to talk with the case worker, i burst into tears talking with her and the women just sat there looked at me and said "sorry your having a hard time but there's nothing we can do for you." she said i could go check out the local food bank. gee do ya think i hadn't been there? i have to wait 4 months before i can go back.
  • Anonymous
    i know not everyone knows how to eat or shop healthy, but when your the one starving and wanting and needing what that person in the checkout line has then maybe some of you can understand why a person can get upset over what seems to them a complete waste of resources. i can't begrudge a few snack items, but when the cart is nothing BUT snacks and you see that family in there all time getting the same junk, then i think ppl can judge and be upset. quite a few months back i would have given both my legs to have an actual meal, 3 square meals, heck i would have done it just to have a chance at smelling meat cooking. or to drink something besides just water or milk(juice is fantastic). if anything the ebt ppl could put a limit on how much junk ppl can buy with there food stamps, that may help fight childhood obesity you never know.
  • Anonymous
    oh and before you say oh well you have internet you could have used that for food money. no we didn't have internet, tv(still don't have tv),we don't and didn't go to movies. if i needed internet then i went to the library, got movies there as well. the only reason i splurge on internet now is that i have to have it for my part time job, even now i'm always wanting to get rid of it. tell ya one thing if your going to be as poor as i am then you really have to learn to love your husband, other wise he may end up dead in his sleep :>
    I feel nothing but sorry for someone who fills their cart up with junk on a weekly basis. I feel sorry for the kids these people are feeding. I don't however judge them or get angry about it. I feel compassion that they are obviously not educated well enough to know that it's unhealthy to eat that way. I feel compassion because I know that when you are using food stamps for your food and that is all you have you must make every dollar count, and lets face it, the junk is cheaper than healthier choices. Try to direct your anger to the correct outlet. Contact your state capitol and try to change the system. And before I get blasted for my opinion, I'm broke as fuck and tried to get food stamps but was denied as well. I didn't qualify for anything because we made 35 dollars or something ridiculous like that over the maximum wage requirement. On unemployment. I have no health insurance for my husband or I, and am scraping by trying to stretch 30 bucks at the grocery store.
  • serenitynowserenitynow
    i get them, but it took me awhile to get approved. and at first i made like 20 bucks over the limit, so i got denied. but i buy generic, sales, coupons, whatever to make what i get stretch for the month. and i sometimes still end up using my own money. i have a relative who asks me every month at the end to borrow some because i get mine 4 days before her. i used to borrow them because she would pay them back. but now i say no because fuck that. you need to budget better or something, i'm tired of bailing her out. plus she sells some of hers when she gets them. she's an asshole anyways.
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    @InsanityandChaos so true! I wonder if enough people did contact the proper governmental authorities, would the regulations actually be changed? I think so. I think just bitching about it won't accomplish a thing. I really wish they evaluated on a case by case basis instead of just looking at the black/white on paper. There are so many cases where people are unable to qualify and need it! And others who receive too much assistance and can probably get by with a little less.
    I'm not sure how other states work, I just really know about my own circumstances. They asked for a list of things we owned. We have 2 cars, both are 2004's. They told me I had to sell my cars. I owed money on them and couldn't sell them. They also told me that I paid too much money on my utility bills. Which was a catch 22 because when I tried to sign up for the budget plans they denied me based on the fact that DHS had disqualified me. They also required bank statements and only looked at the ending balances but would not take into consideration that after you deducted my outstanding debits and checks I was actually overdrawn! It is a totally "f"ed up system that needs fixing. It does need to be a case by case basis, and in most cases I think it should have a time limit to it. There are NO requirements to try and improve your income level for food stamps, medicaid, or wic. For cash assistance they only thing you have to do in order to receive it is do community service a few hours a week. You don't have to be actively looking for work, going to school, or anything. That is why it's so easy to just sit back and live off of it for an unlimited amount of time. Because the system is set up to allow people to do just that. You can't even qualify for daycare assistance to LOOK for a job, you have to already be employed.
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    @insanityandchaos I don't understand that daycare part. That just bogus. How do they expect a person to get/look for a job when they have kids in tow?
    I asked the same thing! I know that they expect you to rely on family for support big time. One question they would ask me over and over again was how are you managing so far. When I would tell them that I basically wasn't, that all my bills were overdue or in collections then they would start asking well who do you have you can ask for money? I learned the hard way that even if family IS helping you do not tell them that. They consider it a source of income. I'm just grateful that we made it through the worst parts of DH being unemployed without anyone getting sick or hurt, or losing anything vital. We've had our utilities shut off a few times and almost got to the point of having one of the cars repossessed. But we are making it on our own and slowly climbing out of it. It would be much easier if I could find a job but that is just not happening. With so many people out of work no one will hire a woman who's been a stay at home mom for 5 years and didn't have a ton of work experience or education to begin with so I'm kind of screwed there. But we are healthy and ramen noodles aren't really that bad, lol.
  • supermommy
    Its the same here @insanityandchaos we barely made it through before my DH found his current job. We are by no means well off now, but compared to where we were it feels like we're rich. My DH and I haven't had insurance for 3 yrs now. The kids medicaid is the only help we've 'qualified' for and I'm very thankful for that. At least my kids are healthy, immunized and cared for when they get sick. I have no clue what my or DH's health is like. We could both have cancer for all we know. We are still climbing out of that dark hole but at least we have a rope to cling to at the moment. I can't imagine how people who don't have their families nearby can do it. Without the free babysitting, help on occasion with food and gas, we would have never made it this far. I refuse to judge ebt cards because I had one for a very short time and desperately wished I had it many times after it was taken away. We were barely over the income guidelines within a few dollars. I think they should offer a free cooking class to ebt users. That way they could learn to stretch that money and eat better. Just a pipe dream I'm sure.
    Us too. It was something ridiculous like 30 dollars over. They told us to sell our house. And realistically expected us to be able to do that?! Our house is the ONLY thing we have, free and clear, and it's no dream mansion let me tell you! In this market we probably wouldn't even be able to get back what we paid for it 4 years ago! I don't judge people who have them or what they use it for unless they are selling it for drugs or something. It's hard to make it stretch. My sister gets it for herself and her 2 kids. She gets 300 dollars a month. She's tried only buying fresh veggies and fruits, lean cuts of meat, and all the other healthy stuff. If she did that her 300 dollars would be used up in on week. What would she do the rest of the month? So she does what she can. We all do what we can. It's really sad that people are out there needing the help and not getting it, especially when you see so many people taking advantage of it. I just feel like the anger needs to be directed at the system and the people running it, not the everyday people who are using it, whether they are misusing it or not.
  • supermommy
    Exactly! Well said @insanityand chaos
  • Meg
    The only time I can "treat" myself is with the food stamps. If I want a pint of ice cream or a tube of cinnamon rolls, damn it I am going to buy it.

• primalmommaprimalmomma
    @twitterstalker i didn't know they did that?? that's unfair. catch 22. need a car to get to work. can't get to work without a car. what did they expect?
  • Anonymous
    I hardly think living without Coke and ice cream is "cruelty" as it is suggested several dozen posts back. It all comes down to living within your means (why are you buying luxuries when you're already on assistance and likely have a harder time paying your medical bills than others?) Also I don't think people are getting mad at the occasional treat. they're more likely mad about people who buy shitty food for their kids and then claim they can't afford healthy stuff. Yes vegetables are more expensive than chips, but the cost of your health is way more expensive than carefully budgeted vegetables.