Do you believe in the paranormal?
  • LilukiLiluki
    Most of my family members have a story or two to tell on the subject of ghosts and the paranormal.

Do any Scary Mommy's have a story to share?

I'll go first.

When I was a teenager my family and I lived in a double story house. We would constantly hear someone walking up the internal stairs day and night. At first we thought it was the neighbours next door, but it kept on happening after they moved out.

Other weird things would happen when we lived there. My younger sister was unable to have light bulbs in her bedroom because they would blow within 24hrs of our dad changing the bulb. She had 4 different rooms while we lived there and it happened in all of them. If someone else used the room as a bedroom, the lights would work just fine. And it wasn't the wiring because dad is an electrician and checked the wiring and he said he couldn't find anything wrong. The tv and the computer would turn on by themselves in the middle of the night.

Every now and then I would see someone out of the corner of my eye walk out of my parents bedroom. Especially freaky when I was home by myself. When I mentioned it to my mother, she said she saw him too, but looking straight at him and she told me he was the one walking up and down the stairs.

I really could go on and on about all the stuff my family has experienced but I want to know if anyone in Scary Mommy land has a story to tell?
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    I don't have any experiences to share and pray to God I never will because just reading this scared the shit outta me.

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    I believe , I am an Empath my Daughter 28 sees the dead
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    Yup i do. Was a paranormal investigator for 7yrs. I have mucho stories
    However I must dress kids ship them on the bus and go to work. So if I remember later I'll post again.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    Oh I have a few stories!  

Two incidents my mother told me about from when I was a child:

I used to have a toy washing machine or dishwasher something like that, in my room but it never worked.  One night around 1am it turned on mysteriously when we were in bed and scared her.  The next morning my mom's BFF called to say her father had passed away around 1am that night.  He had always been a "Mr. Fix-it" kind of guy.

Another time I was sitting on the living room floor watching Sesame Street, my mom was laying on the couch reading the newspaper.  She heard me talking and looked, saw me looking up at a ceiling corner and saying "Hi lady!"

And the best one is from when I was a teenager, just before I moved out.  My mother and I had been having a VERY hard time with each other.  We had this small radio on top of the fridge.  One night we were getting ready for bed, my mom was in the bathroom, I was getting a drink.  The radio suddenly turned on full blast, but it sounded like 5 stations at once, not just static.  It scared me so bad I flew into the bathroom with my mother still in there (something I would never normally do, especially being a teen).  She couldn't change the station or figure out what was wrong with it, but when she unplugged it, it stopped.

So the next night, around the same time, we're getting ready for bed.  This time, the TV sound comes on full blast static, but no picture whatsoever, the screen was still the "off black".  Once again, we're scared shitless.  Third night, same thing with the TV.  It makes us literally run out of the house, because at this point we had told our neighbour.  It's her house we ran to, leaving the door open, and she could hear the noise from her house, that's how loud it was.

4th day, we scoured the neighbourhood for new satellites or dishes or SOMETHING that would cause weird interference.  Nothing.  It happened again that night too.  From then on, we unplugged the TV (it only ever happened with the radio once, although we may have forgotten to plug it back in after that time) before we went to bed, and it never happened again.  

We looked for answers, but the only one I could find was paranormal.  Poltergeists like to make loud noise, and often frequent homes where there are troubled teens. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I've never had any paranormal experiences myself - I don't seem to be "sensitive" in that way, which is fine with me - but I do believe the people who have told me about their experiences.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I have had a few.
    Seeing a lady standing in the corner/door of Stbxh's room when we were dating. Shadow person, she had a large full length dress on.
    The house I grew up in the ghost would
    Sit on my bed/ me when I was asleep well half asleep.
    Shadow people walking around in the house I used to live in. Also the full body that I saw standing over my DSs crib. He was fussy , I went to check on him. I saw DH ( I thought ) I went to the bathroom. DS wasn't crying anymore. Then saw the person agin and went to bed. DH was in bed. Ran back to DSs room and it was gone and DS was asleep .
    Seeing and hearing stuff at Sloss furnace. Also when I was in New Orleans. DS couldn't sleep in a hotel room. In the hallway , yes as soon as you crossed the doorway , screaming two year old.
    I have heard my DD , Brianna running in the house since she died. She has these shoes that clopped. I heard her running towards my room. I have heard her voice in the last week. She has also visited me in dreams. She is very vocal about what she has been up to since she died. She is having a blast ! And well dressed , lol she was always a clothes hound. Now she has all the diffrent outfits that she wants and changes clothes often. She told me that she could go anywhere she wanted to in the blink of an eye. She had already visited Paris that day , lol, but she chose to stay near me. I asked her why and she just rolled her eyes and said " duhhhhh! I will always be near you , why would I want to go anywhere else ?" 8-| She has visited her dad too. Told him good night once. Yea he didn't sleep that night. She has visited both the boys in their dreams too. They won't tell me details though.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Yes here is a shameless picture of her. I love showing her off !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • marilyn_nc9marilyn_nc9
    I have had several experiences with the paranormal. My ex and I would go "ghost hunting" in our free time.

The strangest experience that I have had, though, was when we went to an old railroad bridge that a black man was hung from way back when. I pulled up one of the railroad spikes and took it home with me, and, I guess taking a piece of that man, too. It started out with the kitchen cabinets opening and closing by themselves when my mom was home alone one day.

That night, I had a dream of a man coming into my house and opening his trench coat to show me a railroad spike going through his chest. I played it off as just my overactive imagination. The next evening, we were all down in the livingroom, when we heard a crash directly above us, coming from my room. I went upstairs to find my favorite Marilyn Monroe pic (I'm a die-hard fan) in the floor. I picked it up, and put it back on the shelf. About 10 min later, there was another crash, this one much louder. I went upstairs to find the same picture completely on the other side of the room (about 10 ft away), broken. It was laying directly below the railroad spike I had hanging on my wall. Needless to say, the next day, I returned it exactly where I had found it, and it all stopped. There have been many other experiences, but I won't bore you with my stories, lol.
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    yes,
    we have been having alot of activity in our kitchen, the all cabinet doors are wide open when we all wake up in the morning when i close them when i go to bed at night.
    I have been seeing dark shadows at the door way. Two nights ago I heard babies crying from my oldest dd's room. I ran in and of course nothing but my dd fast asleep in her bed.
    my dd the youngest the one that is the most sensitive to the "paranormal" isn't able to sleep in her room anymore, at actually 3:03 am for the past three nights she has come running to our room to sleep with us because of "nightmares"
    I haven't done a cleansing in my house since my best friend died in September. I know i have "attracted" things with my mood and my willing to leave a "door" open.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • Marionettevie
    there are two threads about this somewhere around here. i have so many stories! i used to love watching scary movies, but i avoid them now because i have experienced too much and it freaks me out
  • Matt115
    I've got a few.
    One, when i was a teenager my mom lived in a town home. Doors would always open, you could always hear footsteps. I was grabbed and tripped by something. Nothing was around, nobody was close enough to grab me. My brother was about 3 at the time and he told us he saw a man in a white t shirt and jeans, that his white shirt was covered in red and that he wasn't happy. (i wouldn't be either!) The only men that were around were my brothers. But they never wore white. Especially not covered in red.

At my current place, my sister used to live in the apartment across from mine (we always used to say we'd live close when we grew up!) And they had a lock on their door that you can only lock from the inside and they got locked out of their apartment with that lock. We've all seen blurs walking around the whole building. Lights flicker cupboards open. I've heard someone in mine. She sounds like a sweet old lady. But for sounding like that, she can sure scare the hell out of us. I've caught orbs (i think) on camera around my daughter, she randomly stops and stares off at something, I've had videos where the audio entirely is missing after a few second, according to shows ghosts mess with audio? I dunno.
    And the cold spots. There's always one spot in my bedroom at night but isn't the same every night that is ice fucking cold.

Spooky.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I absolutely believe. I should have Muldur's poster in my house and one of my favorite quotes is "there are more things in heaven and earth..."

I get weird "feelings," and I usually find out a few days (or months depending on if I'm relying on my mother for info) that someone to whom I'm close has been near death or has died. I'd actually prefer to have happier "premonitions!"
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • Marionettevie
    momofdbb said:

I have had a few.
    Seeing a lady standing in the corner/door of Stbxh's room when we were dating. Shadow person, she had a large full length dress on.
    The house I grew up in the ghost would
    Sit on my bed/ me when I was asleep well half asleep.
    Shadow people walking around in the house I used to live in. Also the full body that I saw standing over my DSs crib. He was fussy , I went to check on him. I saw DH ( I thought ) I went to the bathroom. DS wasn't crying anymore. Then saw the person agin and went to bed. DH was in bed. Ran back to DSs room and it was gone and DS was asleep .
    Seeing and hearing stuff at Sloss furnace. Also when I was in New Orleans. DS couldn't sleep in a hotel room. In the hallway , yes as soon as you crossed the doorway , screaming two year old.
    I have heard my DD , Brianna running in the house since she died. She has these shoes that clopped. I heard her running towards my room. I have heard her voice in the last week. She has also visited me in dreams. She is very vocal about what she has been up to since she died. She is having a blast ! And well dressed , lol she was always a clothes hound. Now she has all the diffrent outfits that she wants and changes clothes often. She told me that she could go anywhere she wanted to in the blink of an eye. She had already visited Paris that day , lol, but she chose to stay near me. I asked her why and she just rolled her eyes and said " duhhhhh! I will always be near you , why would I want to go anywhere else ?" 8-| She has visited her dad too. Told him good night once. Yea he didn't sleep that night. She has visited both the boys in their dreams too. They won't tell me details though.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Yes here is a shameless picture of her. I love showing her off !

i was reading down all the comments and i LOVE THIS STORY. you have no idea how happy this made me feel. it once again solidifies everything i believe in... i love this so so much.
  • fulgurous2003fulgurous2003
    I haven't seen anything but i believe i also get crazy feelings telling me when things are going to happen it used to creep me out and i used to hide them because parents said i was crazy but i have been telling hubbs for years and am always right 
    "Your children are not your children, they come through you, but they are life itself, wanting to express itself." - Wayne Dyer
  • TerraTerra
    Ugh, where do I start?

All the women in my family have this, "gift", though at times I'm not sure it's a gift so much.  My great grandmother was a fortune teller, she read tea leaves and cards.  My grandmother sees spirits and can smell death (apparently it smells like dead roses).  My mother predicts babies and occasionally sees spirits.  She knew I was pregnant the moment it happened.  She came over on the day I conceived my daughter and told me that my daughter was on her way.  Sure enough 2 weeks later I was puking and the test was positive.  I get premonitions and see spirits.  It's hard to explain how the premonitions work, it's like there's a voice that says, "this is going to happen", in my head.  Sure enough it always happens.  I knew I was going to marry my husband about 30 minutes before I met him.  I remember driving to the tattoo shop where he was an artist and thinking, "time to meet my future husband".  There he was.  I've also avoided numerous potentially bad situations by listening to my premonitions as well.  Sometimes I instantly know things about new people I meet.  Very very handy for weeding out toxic individuals.

I also live in the deep deep south.  Add to that the fact that my 18 acres was a cotton field in antebellum times and you have a formula for ghosts and others.

I'll just make a short list.  There are too many incidents to count.

~When the hubby and I were married we were very very poor.  Since we live so close to New Orleans we booked a weekend as our "honeymoon", at Creole Gardens.  Creole Gardens is an old antebellum house that rents out rooms.  Each room is decorated and named after an old time New Orleans Madame.  I thought the whorehouse theme was fantastic for a honeymoon!  That night I woke up.  My husband was sound asleep, a huge smile on his face.  Perched on the side of the bed was a pretty black woman.  She wore light colored cotton clothes and a headkerchief.  She was gently stroking his forehead and cheek like you would do a child.  I looked at her, she glanced at me.  I shrugged, smiled at her and went back to sleep.

~As a child I had a friend who lived in a bad house.  When I say bad I really mean it was predatory.  The house if left to its own devices would suck you in.  There were several mysterious deaths there before she moved in.  One room always stayed at a chilly 60 degrees, even in the heat of summer.  One night (I was always trying to ignore and deny what I knew back then) I stayed over.  I woke up to see a pretty blonde woman standing by the window watching us sleep.  I didn't feel scared, in fact I suspect she was there to guard us, as there was something really really nasty just outside the bedroom door trying to get in.

~When I was 15 I woke up to a shadow person lifting the blanket to my bed.  I don't know if he was trying to cuddle or what but I found that growling and trying to beat the crap out of them usually scares them away.

~When I was 17 I woke up to see a black man in light colored cotton clothes standing by my bedroom door.  He was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him.  In fact I think I startled him more.  Considering that this land used to be a cotton field it never surprises me to see the spirit of one of the slaves from time to time.

~When I got pregnant there were several shadow people incidents.  I think they were attracted to the baby.  Again, I tried to beat the crap out of them.  Bothering my baby is a really really bad idea for them to try.

~When I was 6 months pregnant I woke up to see a man in a loin cloth with the head of a falcon standing in the room looking at me (not all spirits are ghosts, there is a huge difference).  I think he was just curious, I didn't feel threatened at all, though I never expected to see Horus.  There he was.  Again I think the baby attracted him.

~My dad passed away 2 years ago.  I live in my parents old house.  The day before yesterday I was breastfeeding my little one.  I caught a glimpse of him sitting in the rocker by the crib clear as day.  A surprised expression on his face.  I guess he was checking in and didn't expect to find that he had a granddaughter.  Unfortunately, he thought it was funny to wake her up and scare her.  The minute I put her down for her nap and went to get a drink I heard a crackle on the monitor and she started screaming bloody murder.  I had to throw him out of the house after he did it several times.  I tried to be patient, but that crap is not funny or cool.

I'm sort of hoping this passes over my daughter, I know over the years that it has brought me a ton of grief, and has done the same for my mother and grandmother. Some aspects are helpful, but the lack of privacy and sleep just sucks.  Especially when you attract something bad.   I don't intend to mention it to her, but if she starts seeing I'm not going to deny it either.  I'll just teach her how to cope.  I could go on and on with sightings, but that would take forever. 
  • LilukiLiluki
    @momofdbb thank you for your story. Your daughter is beautiful!
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    Notleppop said:

@momofdbb thank you for your story. Your daughter is beautiful!

^^^ ditto! :)
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    How does one leave a door "open"?! O.O

confessional-manager

• Katescrazymom
    I totally believe, but nothing like that has ever happened to me. 
  • LilukiLiluki
    Thankyou everyone for your stories!! I have a few to add. @unforgiven I didn't mean to scare you, I started with my most unscary story!

- this comes from my mum, i actually dont remember this even though i remember a lot of other stuff from this time... When I about 4 my sister and I would play outside with an old man named Keith. Mum didn't think to much of it as we had a neighbour with that name. One day my sister and I came inside and told mum Keith was asking lots of questions about my dad and his brothers and sisters. Mum had watched our neighbour leave for a work trip 2 days before this so she questioned us and we told her "no, the other Keith, you know the one with the red hair who lives in our house!" The only other Keith she knew of was my dads father who had passed away a week after she met my dad and years before we were born. To this day i have never seen a photo of him and no one else in the family had red hair...

- living in the same house as the previous story, every night my bed would rock and sway, as if someone was trying to rock me to sleep.

- when I 17 (different house - we moved a lot) I had just gotten home from work and decided to lie down in my room and have a nap. Just as I was drifting off I felt pulses of electricity (for lack of a better word) flow from my head to my feet. I had no idea what was happening so I just went with it. After a while i started to hear voices. It was like I was standing in an overcrowded room and everyone was trying to talk to me. I eventually started to hear one voice over the din and it sounded so familiar and foreign at the same time. By then I'd had enough and tried to get up and found that I couldn't. I had to fight my way out of whatever was happening. I eventually made it upstairs to find my mum. She took one look at me and ran to my room to see what had scared me (I was apparently white as a ghost) and all she found was my room was freezing cold in the middle of an Australian summer. This type of thing still happens to me on a semi regular basis but now I know how to avoid it - and I do at all costs!

- when I was 19 I was having a sleep in because I didn't start work until midday. I was home alone but someone came and sat on the edge of the bed and stroked my hair. I didn't think much of it - having visitors when I was half asleep was pretty common by then. A few days later mum calls me and tells me her grandmother was found lying in her bed after having a stroke two days ago and they only just found her. She lived for about 6 months after that and after her funeral I had someone come and stroke my hair in the early hours of the morning for a few months. My siblings and cousins all have similar stories from around that time so I think she was just checking on her grand kids.

- when I was pregnant with my daughter I got into this habit of sleeping on my back with my arms above my head - which apparently isn't a good thing to do when pregnant... I tried to sleep on my side but would always end up on my back. Whenever this happened I'd get woken up with someone smacking me on my arms until I rolled over. One night this happened when I was just lying in bed trying to sleep but still awake. I opened my eyes and saw my other great grandmother standing over me. She had passed away 7 years before.

- my absolute most terrifying story happened the night before my sons first birthday. I was sound asleep when I became aware I was being chased by something evil. At first I thought it was a dream because I was flying. This thing chasing me was growling and swearing and saying the most revolting things... Then I noticed I was flying into my house down the hall into my room and I could see myself asleep in my bed. Just as my spirit (or whatever I really don't know) slammed into my body this thing caught up with me and grabbed me so hard I screamed in pain and my body woke up instantly. I was so scared and could still hear this evil thing in my ear. I didnt sleep the rest of the night! The next morning I had bruises on my arm from where I had been grabbed...

Yes I realize the majority of my experiences happen around sleeping, but I think it is the only time my mind and body are relaxed enough to be receptive...
  • CinnaCinna
    @unforgiven lol I was wondering the same thing lest I leave my "door open"
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I'm glad to share. There are some dreams I wont they are quite personal, but I like to share some. I have only " felt" a not good spirit once that was in New Orleans. The Sloss furnace was kind of a risidual type. It felt like a recording. Not responsive. The ghost at the house seemed to be protective. New Orleans , that ghost wanted to hurt something. And of course Brianna , she , when she visits is just playing. Saying hi and giggling such a silly girl.
    yea I am geek !!
  • LilukiLiluki
    @kittykisses80 I would LOVE to hear some of your stories! I used to love shows like Ghost Hunters but a few seasons in I got this feeling in my gut they were faking stuff for ratings...
    @Unforgiven
    What I mean about leaving the door open is I let things attach themselves on me. Or I let them enter my house with my permission.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    How do you do that?!?! @deviltwinsmomma

confessional-manager

I really dont know but they seem to find me. So lately I kinda been welcoming them with open arms . I work around alot of death and dying people. The area I work in is definitely a portal for the dead. Im surrounded by hospitals.
  • somanyboysandmesomanyboysandme
    I don't. Thank God because that would scare the fuck out of me. However I do think that my two youngest "saw" my dad and their paternal grandmother as infants. They would fixate on something in space, giggle, try to reach out, and you could not get their attention away from it.
  • SnugglePussSnugglePuss
    I've only had a couple of experiences.

After my grandfather died, my grandmother & I were home alone sitting in the living room watching tv. All of a sudden, someone was doing the dishes. My gpa always did the dishes over and over all day. He had Alzhiemer's. So my gma just said it's only gpa and it stopped. I wasn't scared, I was happy.

Now my dog can see some shit!! She used to stare and growl at the wall like she wanted to kill it. She'd wake up in the middle of the night and go after nothing. It was obviously something she saw or felt and she had to protect me. Watching an 80 lb Pitt go insane over an empty corner was scary. I did not like that house.

I don't have any more ghost stories but I *think* I can get premonitions. It just happens out of the blue. Like I say to myself, " I knew that was going to happen". How do I know or feel these things?
  • lostinthewindlostinthewind
    Yes! The week before my uncle had his heart attack and went into a coma my gma came to visit me in a dream, I never dream of her. Right after DS was born I saw bil's ghost playing with DS, I never met him. I also seem to be sensitive to major happenings, for example I sat in an airport the day before 9/11 with a first class ticket and stared an argument with on how I needed to stay home. He didn't listen and kept reassuring me, needless to say I wish I had stayed home.
  • Emmasmom04Emmasmom04
    A few really crazy things happened...  When I was 19, in my first apartment I was sleeping on the couch one night. I woke up to go to the bathroom and as soon as I sat up I seen these little light things (you could kind of compare them to firefly size'ish) swirling around in a circle.  I said WTF and a few seconds later they were gone.. It didn't really scare me too much

This was the one that creeped me out until I really thought about it.  About a week after my mom passed away my aunt gave me a painting that my mom always loved and wanted, it was a mother pushing her daughter on a swing.  I went to put my daughter to bed that night, came back out and that painting was rattling- it was on the wall!  I think it was my mom telling me she's still here, kinda. I don't know. It gave me some comfort after my heart stopped racing.

Last thing. The night after my brothers calling hours last year we were having a bad storm. It was march and the weather was unusually nice.   I was sitting on the couch with my bf, talking about mike then all of a sudden the freaking curtain along with the rod flies off the wall. The windows were completely closed!  I just sat there, couldn't move for a good 10 minutes.
  • undercoverbanana
    I had all kinds of spooky shit going on here for a couple years. And dh flat out told me I was crazy. Which royally pissed me off, and later I found out he saw some of the same stuff I did, which pissed me off even worse. I'm rid of all the bad spooky stuff, now. Thank god. I have heard and felt random things in other places, but never actually saw anything until I was in this house. Its freaky.
    i'm nekkid.
  • lilolmelilolme
    When I was a teenager of about 15 a ghost saved my son's life. I had put my son down for a nap, he was a few months old and had gone downstairs to watch tv. The screen was all snowy, couldn't get any channels to work, so went back upstairs to get a book, checked on my Ds and he was Blue. I did Cpr, and he recovered just fine, but damn that was scary! When the tv was checked, it worked just fine.
    Prior to this occurence I would hear a baby crying, even when there wasn't one in the house, and then hear walkin back and forth between the two rooms up there. as if someone was walking to soothe a fussy baby.
    Where we currently live I have seen someone out of the corner of my eye, but when trying to look directly at it there is no one there. Not scary, just interesting. This was one of the first buildings built in this area, back in the 1800's.
  • MouseMouse
    I was about 13 or 14 and slept in the basement with my very loyal doberman cross on the bed next to me always. One night I had gone down to my room to do homework and must have fallen asleep but was jolted awake to some one sceaming WAKE UP and my dog standing over top of me (two legs on each side of me & butt in my face) growling, snapping and trying to protect me from something.  There was no one else home at the time.  From then on where ever I was in the house she followed me.
    Don't outsmart your common scense
  • Kitty69Kitty69
    Never had anything happen, although I believe it can
  • MollyGrahamMollyGraham

When I was about 14 we lived in a house that had a "helpful" spirit. One time, I was going to take our dog for a walk and couldn't find his leash. After looking all over the house, I found it hanging on the hook by the door, right where it belonged. And yes, I had looked there first. It would also do things like put things away in the kitchen. For example, if you left the can opener on the counter, it would end up back in the drawer. Not very scary I know, but I sure wish whoever it was would come back. :)

We are going through something a little more creepy right now though. My DH and I own a bar in a little town about 4 hours away and he will often stay there for a few weeks at a time to run the business. The building the bar is in was built in the 1880's and he stays in an apartment over the bar. He's had several instances of seeing the reflection of a woman in the bathroom mirror and a few times the shower curtain has been pulled back while he's in the shower or in the bathroom shaving. There have also been heavy footsteps in the hall when no one else is there. Once, we walked out of the apartment and came face to face with a figure that was dressed in "old west" style clothes and appeared to have been shot in the head. That was enough for me and I haven't gone back since then. A few months ago, DH had a team of paranormal investigators come in and check the place out. They were able to record some voices, one of them said "this is my home" and "no more nonsense". There was also one saying the name "Amy", so we've decided that's the woman he sees in the mirror. So far, nothing really bad has happened but it still freaks me out.

Normal people never change the world.
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    OMG I didn't open a door by reading this thread did I??

confessional-manager

Lol @unforgiven I know there are alot of folks that do believe that you do open a door by reading or watching things of the paranormal
    My door is open because of grief
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    CRAAAAAAAP!

confessional-manager

• LilukiLiluki
    @Mouse that is insane! I would have freaked out big time!
  • undercoverbanana
    I can't watch ghostie shows anymore.....and im going to be careful about picking up antiques, too. And when i find that creepy ass elf doll from my grandmothers house (somewhere in my attic. In ten grocery bags, in a garbage bag, in a box duck taped shut) im sending that spooky little fucker to John zaffis.
    i'm nekkid.
  • TerraTerra
    It's easier to open a door than one might think.  I seem to attract the nasties so this has been a persistent problem in my life.

Grief and sickness are huge.  They weaken your will which makes it easier for things to attach to you.

You hear stories of bad spirits coming from objects etc.  I'm not saying this can't happen, but in order for them to really get to you there has to be an opening to start with.  Often if they can't get to you they will work on the weakest member of your family.  Keeping a door closed most often relies on a healthy state of mind.

There are ways to protect yourself and that too is much easier than you think.  Here are a few of my suggestions.

~Take care of yourself.  Depressed?  Sick?  Don't let yourself wallow in it.  This is one case where the power of positive thinking actually works.

~Clean your house!  Both physically and mentally.  Don't let filth build up, believe it or not filth builds negativity which makes it easier for bad spirits to move in.  Throw open windows at least once a month or so, turn on happy music.  Much easier said than done in the winter, I know.  Let bad energies flow out of the house rather than keeping them bottled in.  Let the sun in, don't keep the curtains closed.  I open my windows once a week and play music.  A home truly is a living creature and requires just as much care as your body. 

You can also smudge.  I don't smudge because I'm good at mentally cleaning out my house without it.  This, however, is due to years and years of practice.  I did used to smudge the house often until I got to the point where I didn't need to anymore.  Smudging is the burning of white sage, the smoke is dispersed room by room as you mentally ask for help in keeping bad things out, or getting existing bad spirits out of your house.

~Visualize.  Your home is your home and so you must protect it.  I visualize a sphere of light around mine, it's akin to a sort of force field.  Nothing bad can enter into the sphere.  Likewise, if I suspect something bad has gotten in I used the same technique to push it out.  I visualize myself pushing it out.  This takes practice, but it helps.

~Have faith.  If you are willing to believe that something bad might have attached itself to you then you must also believe that there are good spirits as well.  Ask for help in removing the problem.  You'd be surprised at how quick a response you might have.  This also goes along with not doubting yourself.  If you think something is in the house, don't second guess.  If that voice in your head says danger, then heed the warning because that voice never lies.

~Attach protection to an object.  Sometimes it helps to have an object to cling to for reaffirmation.  This is the same principle as prayer beads or rosaries.  The object helps you to focus on protecting yourself and/or reaffirms your faith.  For me it's a silver Thor's hammer which is an object that represents my faith.  For you it could be a cross, a pentacle, or any object that has special meaning to you.  It could even be a household furnishing or a statue.

I hope this helps.  I don't often talk about these things as the reaction I most often get is not a positive one.  It makes others uncomfortable and people tend to think I'm crazy.  Something, however, is telling me that someone here might need this info and I've learned to never argue when told what to do.

• SchmelenSchmelen
    I burn cedar, sage and sweet grass to cleanse my home. There is something here but not sure what it wants.....
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    We went to the original Alanama State Capitol yesterday and looked around. Almost all the buildings were gone and it was mostly grown up. DS 5 was freaking out while we were walking around the slave/negro grave yard. Most of them were unmarked and they don't know how many are buried there. Plus one of the remaining ones was stolen in 1999. A little girls , she was 7 if I remember correctly. They also had a Civil War POW camp that was held in a building that was built when they flattened out the Native American Mound ! So there I was standing on a desecrated Native American burial ground ( Possiably ) and the place where a bunch of men died in a POW camp ! Lots of sickness and starvation. So yea there was a lot of noises in the woods and tingly feelings and stuff.
    yea I am geek !!
  • TerraTerra

Schmelen said:

I burn cedar, sage and sweet grass to cleanse my home. There is something here but not sure what it wants.....

Love cedar for cleansing, that and I like the smell.  Has the thing in your home tried to communicate?  Do you feel threatened by it, or is it just that unsettling feeling of not being alone Schmelen?

That reminds me of when I visited Dachau momofdbb.  We took a bus from the military post that I lived on and I fell asleep on the way.  The next thing I know I jerk awake in a cold sweat and in absolute panic.  We had just pulled into the parking lot.  The other passengers gave me odd looks, but wow that place just felt so horrible.  It was a cold sterile feeling of suffering.  Very very unsettling.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    My older DS freaked out in a hotel room when he was little. Would not sleep. His dad got mad at him. Both kids both times ! Like they could help being freaked out. DD was with us one time visiting a local old cemetery walked up to a grave and then sat down next to it sobbing one time. It was a quite sudden change in her mood. She was just sobbing over this grave. We looked and it was a young boy. She said yes it was. You could barely read the name or dates and she hadn't really looked. When I asked her why she was crying she looked at me and said , " he was my bestest ever friend and I miss him so much ! He was my best friend and he is alone now. " We only got her to calm down by showing her the boys mom and dad and a brother were also buried there next to him and they were all together now. She asked if she would see him again when she died and I said yes. When you are old and die you can see him again. I like to believe they are together. Her and her bestest friend that died in the 1800s. I keep meaning to go visit him again but can't work up the courage.
    yea I am geek !!
  • MomaFive
    so much... so many many stories and it must be genetic
    (1) my dad argues with his (passed on) relatives, one day he turned the radio up and challenged his uncle, "ok charles, don't like my radio, take that!" as the radio turned off and something fell off a shelf
    *and numerous other stories*
    (2) my mom vividly remembers waking up to see an old lady rocking in a rocking chair in the corner of her bedroom but both my gparents were young and they had no visitors in the house
    *she's got more she doesn't like talking about too*

- when I was 12 my cat was sleeping on the bed with me, I felt someone sit on my bed (compress the mattress) and opened my eyes to see no one, but my cat hissed and ran out of my room
    - when my gpa passed I stood at the funeral and whispered "grandpa, if you're with us here, give me a sign" at that moment the candle directly infront of me flickered but there was definitely no drafts in the stuffy church
    - there was a gentleman (we figured the previous owner of the cafe) who would sit in a certain booth at the cafe, I would make my rounds and the coffee cup in the corner was always turned over as if someone was sitting there 
    - working in the lounge (same building as the cafe) I was standing in the office talking to my boss, watching my bar on the security cam and saw someone walk into the bar, hurried back to the lounge (1 way in - without sounding an alarm) and there was no one there, I paged the office and asked my boss but she was dead set that she had seen it too
    - at my current job some mornings when I get to work there will be a single loaf of bread on the floor about 2ft from the shelf (not to the side, right infront of it, so it's not like it rolled off) ~ however about a month ago I was standing at the till talking to a regular customer and happened to look over at the exact moment that a loaf slide straight out of the shelf and landed on the floor about a foot away, the customer stopped and looked at me, I looked at him, and we both stammered "did you see that?" creeped the hell out of us both - it's slow in my store and there wasn't anyone else in the store, and hadn't been anyone in there for awhile

however, all that being said : I believe I'm an empath, I have a sweet friend of mine who is and he's showing me how to harness my energies and better deal with the "emotional hangovers" of energy feeding/sharing

@momofdbb I couldn't explain to DH why I was bawling, I just found your story so touching... when I was 11 I stopped in cemetery with my mom and her parents to visit my great aunt's plot and broke down infront of a random grave, serious hysterical mess, channeling and being an in-tuned empath makes some situations hard... I love to know that your DD is with her bestie from 1800s :)

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    @MomaFive thank you for sharing ! It is nice to have someone else's story of " missing someone " they never met . It has always made me wonder how or why she did that. She was always " finding " the children's graves at every cemetery we went to any her dad loved ( still does ) going to old ones. Even before she could read she found the little ones and would say things like she / he was so young! Her little cousin looked at her at her viewing and said outloud " look she is a princess ! " then patted her head and quietly told her " it's ok the hard part is over " The little cousin was 4 at the time. Children pick up on so much !
    yea I am geek !!
  • SchmelenSchmelen

@Terrra   I believe there is a couple of "things" in my home. I am not sure how to describe them except as "little people" who like to take and hide my stuff in really odd places. They are not a bother to much just more annoying.  However, there is another negative energy here.  It is not friendly, my familiar is really freaking out and on guard all the time. She is racing around my room like a crazy kitty. It blows out the candles I light for meditation and even trying to light the sweet grass and cedar was difficult.  I believe it may be residual from my MIL as we live in the house that she used to live in. She is pure evil.  There is more, but I am worried people will judge me. This is my second post on SM....

@Schemelen don't worry about being judged we wouldn't dare here!
    I am certainly not judging you and i think you are very brave!
    I know that feeling well, and it makes me feel crazy.
  • TerraTerra
    @Schmelen  Sounds to me like it's time to take your home back from you MIL.  Is the negative energy concentrated in one particular place?

I'd clean the hell out of the place, open windows, blast music and if necessary change around the furniture and possibly paint if it still doesn't go away.  If it's a residual energy from the MIL the best way to knock it out is to make the space entirely yours so it can't hang on.

Also hang a few mirrors where it is concentrated, if it's a full blown bad spirit and not just a residual it won't like the mirrors and the sight of itself.  You can also do a few things to confuse it.  I place my shoes at the foot of my bed facing opposite directions sometimes.  It seems incredibly silly but it works for confusing anything that might try to come after someone who is vulnerable and sleeping. 

Little people sounds like mischievous little fairy types.  They don't seem harmful.  I have a few of those too, they hide things and then enjoy watching me look for them.  Usually if I look for a few minutes and then announce, "ok guys not funny anymore", they'll put the object within my reach.
  • NoDramaMamaNoDramaMama
    These are all incredible stories! We used to live in a scary ass house. My Mom said I used to speak a different language when I 'played' with the kids there. Also something very evil there, come to find out 30 years later, a man had murdered his wife & 6 children in the house. To this day, on the extremely busy road, it's the only empty lot for miles.