Are you a smoker?
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Are you a smoker? How much do you smoke?
    Just a curiosity question. Ive never smoked. Never even tried it. Both of my parents smoked heavily when I was a kid and it grossed me out. My brother, on the other hand, smokes now too.
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    Yup abt a pack a day....mom didn't dad still does and she got custody so whattya think a pissed off 12yr old daddy's girl did to piss mommy off ....yup started smoking!!! I was also a thumbsucker as a kid and in my college yrs I did a servey for sociology class and found that out of the 100 college aged smokers I asked 81 were either thumb suckers or late 3&up pacifier kiddos....kinda makes since since 90% of smoking is traced to oral fixation
    Hmmm, thats interesting @stinkersmommy.

• katz_meowkatz_meow
    ^^^i agree with that theory @stinkersmommy. I'm between a pack and a pack and a half per day. I was a nail biter when I was a kid.....Aw who am I kidding, I STILL bite my nails, lol. But as far as smoking goes, I'm getting to the point where its starting to gross me out. Hands, hair and clothing always smell, dry mouth, I'd love to try the e-cigs to help at least cut back...

My two biggest obstacles are driving, I drive a lot for work, and I smoke more while driving, and dh. He smokes upwards of 2 packs per day with no desire or intention of quitting or even cutting back for that matter.
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    I used to smoke a pack a week up until ten years ago, now I smoke a pack a year or less. I still crave a smoke every now and again. 

@stinkersmommy - I do have oral fixations, but I don't know if I was a thumb sucker as a very small child or if I had a pacifier for an extended time. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I wish I could be like you @Gingersnap. I'm afraid with me its all or nothing, though. If I were to quit, I'd have to never pick another one up it I'd be right back to a pack or more a day. :-/
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @katz_meow - I think it's much healthier and much safer to just *not* smoke anymore once you've quit. I think the likelihood of just sliding back into the habit is probably high. it's just not good for me. But, alas, I am weak. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • pennypenny
    I was a party smoker before DS. I'd only smoke at gatherings (3-4 times/year), but I'd sure suck them down. I've become more sensitive to stimulants over the years, though, and if I overdid it I would feel awful. When I got pregnant, that was it for me. I've taken maybe 2-3 drags since he was born 5 years ago and they make me feel like shit every time. I still miss the act of smoking, though.
  • kittykisses80kittykisses80
    I'm a smoker but never in the house. I walk dog in yard pr driving to and fro. Never with kids in thecar. I'd day half a pack a day.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    I smoke.  My mom did too and I was the one to beg her to quit when I was little.  And she did.  For 15 years.   I started when I was 13, she started again when I was 17.

I never got up to a pack a day, although I've been close.  Now that I have DD though, and I can't always slip outside when she's bouncing around (although if I do, it's on the other side of 3 floor-to-ceiling patio windows, I can see her and she can see me fine).  So now I'm down to 5-8(10 max) a day, unless it's a day I work, I smoke more because my young smoking co-workers drag me out all the time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • Lakegirl34
    I smoked a pack a day for over 20 years, and quit when I found out I was pregnant with my son. It's been 2 years and 5 months. It has been the hardest of anything I had to quit. I hate the smell of them now, but still get cravings, especially when I'm upset. I have a lot of dreams of smoking again too and then wake up freaked out that I started again.
  • missmama5missmama5
    I smoked before I got pregnant with my son, quit, started again after I was done breastfeeding, quit again this pregnancy. I don't ever want to smoke again.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I have smoked two times in my life. :-& Both times. So I don't smoke. My parents don't , my brother doesn't. Stbxh doesn't. My grandfather did. He smoked from the age of 12 -60. ( he worked in coal mines and had black lung )He died when he was 60. FIL smoked he died when he was 60. Great grandfather smoked he lived to 80 ! Lol. So I don't know what happened there ! He worked in th coal mines too his lungs were shot !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • forkinthehead
    Unfortunately yes...for 35 years. I smoke more when I drive and at work. Depending on the day anywhere from 1-2 packs...disgusting I know. I am on my way to convincing myself to give them up. Over the holidays I had that wonderful virus that has been going around...was sick for three weeks and had no desire to smoke. I didn't miss it. When I was well enough to go back to work. I gave into the craving and started smoking again. I am not a gum chewer...that grosses me out more than cigarettes. I may try the patch. I have done cold turkey in the past...longest I went was 8 months. I'd really like to utilize my Y membership...I need the breath to exercise.
  • RuralRebellionRuralRebellion
    @leopardgirle I have no tips, but it's much easier for men to quit than women.  DH has quit for 2 years at a time and started, quit for 6 months, started, he's "quit" right now with the occasional at work.  I suppose because he has started again, no matter how long in between, it's not technically "quitting", but it's still way better than I can do.  I had quit for a year also (all of 2009), and it was my own stupidity, wanting a "treat" for new years eve that got me started again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Most everyone's mad here. You may notice that I'm not all there myself.
  • SaraMommySaraMommy
    I am not a smoker...I've never even tried to smoke anything. @stinkersmommy theory is pretty interesting though! I was never a thumb sucker or took a pacifier, but I did/still do bit my nails. Neither of my parents smoked, and out of 4 siblings, only one brother smokes now.  
    Just wanted to clarify that Im not judging anyone who smokes. Lol. I was just curious. :D

• fulgurous2003fulgurous2003
    Ma and the hubbs both smoke between us its about a pack and a half a day more so lately being around family that all smokes. Me i started at 12 my aunt thought it would be the perfect payment for a 12 year old to watch her kids. Quit when i was prego with the first but went out for a smoke the moment he was born.I always tell people its a self sacrifice to help me keep from killing anyone. in reality it helps me keep my big mouth occupied so i dont say all the mean things in my head to people.
    "Your children are not your children, they come through you, but they are life itself, wanting to express itself." - Wayne Dyer
  • lostinthewindlostinthewind
    Yes but I should really quit because unless I'm super stressed or drinking I only smoke about 3 cigarettes a day.
  • BassmomBassmom
    Used to be a half to whole pack a day. This april will be four years since i quit.
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I smoke a little less than a pack a day in bad day. ive quit a few times.. i just havent made it to a whole year. i was an extended binky sucker..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • WinginItWinginIt
    I smoke, but tend to pretend I don't.  My worst trigger is doing homework; almost all my classes involve doing stuff online, and I can't afford my own internet so I use my neighbors wifi from my porch.  My porch is also the "smoking section."   Since I spend an astonishing amount of time hanging out in the smoking section, I spend an astonishing amount of time smoking.  
    I used to smoke A LOT when I drove, but since I had dd 20 mo, it doesn't happen as much since I don't smoke in the car with her and just kind of got out of the habit even if she isn't in the car with me.  

I smoke about a pack a day. 
  • KatDragonKatDragon
    I smoke about a half a pack a day. I quit when I found out I was pregnant the first time and started again a month after ds17 was born. Then I quit again after being informed I was pregnant again for the second time. I lasted 4yrs then life kicked me in the ass and have been smoking for about a year. I think about quitting again but I like it too much. :P
    "Fantastic!" 9th Doctor
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I smoke about 5/day.. both my parents were smokers.  I have never tried to quit.. but hope that I will at some point :)
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • squishsquish
    I don't smoke. Maybe tried it 1-2x in my life. However, Dh and both of my parents do. It really doesn't bother me if other people smoke. Their choice.
  • Dragonbabyx3Dragonbabyx3
    I smoke.. so does SO.  Half a pack a day for each of us, unless we are really stressed out. We have gone days without it... Hes worse off than I am.  I def have an oral fetish.  If I try to quit...  Weight balloons since I have to keep something in my mouth at all times.  Been doing good though. Hoping to quit smoking within the year.  I expect my buddy @PurpleFlowers will be sick of me by then... cause I will- be blowing her phone up. But I will be relying on her to get me through this :P Love youuuuuu!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I've heard the electronic cigs are a great way to quit smoking. It's not the nicotine that's especially bad for you, it's the smoke and all the other shit you're putting into your lungs when you smoke that's bad.

I smoked for years, lightly <1/2-1ppd, then I quit for years and now I do smoke a little again. I'm a stress smoker, always have been. The more stress the more I smoke. I'm good though, on e.g. long airplane flights so I know if I really want to quit I could.<br />
    BTW, I was a thumb sucker until I was almost 8
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • thislittlemommy5thislittlemommy5
    I do smoke, I'm only at about 4-5 a day. Its the only help for my anxiety at the moment. But my goal is to stop again soon
  • 2legit2legit
    I smoke around half a pack a day, sometimes more if I'm stressed so for the last two months I would say I've been closer to a full pack a day. I quit for both pregnancies but the second something stressed me out I was right back to smoking. I was not a thumbsucker or pacifier baby, I think my smoking comes from bad influences in highschool and a desire to be "edgy". 
  • WillileeWillilee
    Aw come on ladies, quitting smoking is so easy I've done it, what, 4 or 5 times now?

I'm still at about 1/2 pack a day. Don't smoke at work, in the car, or in the house. I gave in when the girls came to stay. It's the only thing I have left that is MINE.
  • apeppersmith
    I smoke, about a pack a day.  Never in the house or car, I don't want the kids or their stuff to smell like smoke and I don't want them exposed, so not even when they aren't around, but I can and do smoke all day at work.  When home, I smoke when I take the dog out.  I sucked my thumb until I was four, stopped on my own.  That study makes me want to go home and throw away all of my daughters pacifiers, but I'm pretty sure if I did that she'd find her thumb.  DS never cared for sucking on anything, thumb or pacifier, he gave it up himself at 3 months.
  • OrchidsAndTulipsOrchidsAndTulips
    Hmm I don't consider myself a smoker but I do enjoy a cigar once or twice a month. I don't know why but I feel incredible sexy while I'm doing it? But it's habit I picked up in Hawaii since we usually went to cigar shop every time we celebrated anything. But my Abe smoked atleast two packs a day by has quit since my mother found out she has cancer.
    im a social and stress smoker. i was a full time smoker until i was about 5 months pregnant, then all of a sudden they just made me barf to even think about.  If I am out sans baby I have a smoke or when exO and I were fighting really bad then I would sneak out for a smoke
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness
  • MegsueMegsue
    Pack a day smoker here. It's that or I get homicidal. I enjoy it too. I KNOW I need to quit, but I don't ever try. All of my parents and grandparents smoke. I never sucked my thumb and I guess I gave up my passifier around 6 months old or so. It's more of a boredom thing with me than oral fixation per se. Chewing gum doesn't help, but as long as I'm busy doing something, I don't even think about smoking.
  • doubletroubleplus1doubletroubleplus1
    I've smoked off and on for the past 10 years. Mostly when around other smokers. When DH is offshore, I hardly smoke at all; maybe one pack the first week he's gone, then maybe another whole pack over the next three weeks. His last full hitch, I actually went three weeks without smoking at all. Once he comes home, all bets are off. He smokes a pack+ a day, and has no interest in quitting. I'm really trying to quit for good; the kids notice, and ask why I smoke.  :( Definitely don't want them to ever do it.
    Both my bio parents smoke; my cousins (they raised me from 12-18) had quit way before I lived with them.
    "There's nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time."
  • GPAMomGPAMom
    I smoked a pack a day for twenty plus years and quit them after I experienced blood clots in both my legs and lungs. My husband-who smoked two packs a day- quit a few weeks after I had the pulmonary embolisms.

He was not the most pleasant for much of that year. Really? Me either.
  • rockmomrockmom
    I smoke about a 1/2 pack a day, sometimes more when I drive (I have an hour commute each way, so it's easy to smoke a bunch!). 
    I never smoke in the house or in the car when DS is with me. 

I hate that I do it, but I'm a stress smoker, and I like it. It makes me feel better to go outside and get a break for a few minutes! I've been smoking since I was 12...both parents and older sister smoked so it was a really easy habit to fall into.
    I'm kind of ashamed of it though; when around new/important people I go to great lengths to make sure people don't know that I smoke so that I don't get pegged as one of "those people" and get judged for it. They find out eventually, but I don't like their first impression of me to be that I'm a smoker, ya know? Let them see all of my good qualities first. ;)
    tripp175a
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    Ew. Nope. I think smoking is pretty gross and severely unhealthy.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • LilukiLiluki
    I smoke. I actually quit for about 4 months early last year but then shit happened and I started again, although I smoke less per day than I used to... Trying to find the motivation to quit again!
    “If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both fucked.”
    ― George Carlin, Brain Droppings
  • BettyboBettybo
    I went from ten a day to one a week when I got pregnant - found out I have a blood disorder today so had to stop for good.
    Im gonna miss it so bad.
    Harry Ray - 10th June 2013 <3<br />
    We all got old at breakneck speed, slow it down - go easy on me...
  • GrainneGrainne
    It's hard to quit
  • GrainneGrainne
    I smoke 4 cig a night after my kids go to bed. I was diagnosed with a blood clot last year but it was so hard to try and quit during the most scary and stressful time of my life.....but did quit the birth control p ills which was the biggest factor :)  it was funny in a weird way, when I was pregnant with my twins and during a stress test they were worried about my fluid gain, they told me when i said I've done really well with the gestational diabetes but haven't quite managed to quit the 4 cig a night, i was told "well we don't say this usually but we don't want twins to get too big and smoking keeps birth weight down so it's not necessarily a bad thing that you are smoking a little"...
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    @themomfactor I hugged you there by accident from my phone!

I used to smoke at the very least a pack a day on top of copious amounts of weed. I first smoked cigarettes when I was 9 (totally gross eh?) then started hardcore when I was 15. The amount of money I spent on it makes me feel sick, they're so expensive here. I used to buy boxes and boxes of them when I was in the US because they were about half the price. I quit a while after I got together with df because he had quit a few years earlier and it made me so conscious of how gross my breath and clothes and hair smelled. Then 2 weeks later I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant! Didn't have one until the next time I was drinking which was when dd was about 3 or 4 months old and I took 2 drags then threw it away. Tasted rotten. I haven't had one since and I totally hate them now. Gross little cancer sticks.
  • MistressHeidiMistressHeidi
    I smoke about a pack to a pack and a half a day. Depends on the day, how bad my job is going. I tend to smoke more at work, because I drive a lot. (I bite my nails too.) I started smoking when I was 14, managed to quit for both of my pregnancies, but started back up shortly after giving birth, then when the kids were toddlers I managed to quit for 3 years, then started again.
  • Kitty69Kitty69
    Yes, 5 or 6 (not packs) a day. I had a heart attack and CABG, quit for 8 months, started again, quit again and just recently started having a few. I didn't miss it when I quit really, just every once in awhile. My H doesn't smoke and he doesn't know that I am smoking again, I have hidden it pretty good, so far. Ready to put the patch on and stay away completely.
  • just_mejust_me
    I smoke about half a pack a day. Sometimes a lot more...its my stress reliever. I hate it and I am embarrassed when people see me but I still dont want to quit. Sometimes I feel like if I didnt go outside to smoke I'd never see the outside! Especially during the winter...I gotta get out somehow! :-\"
    I can't be perfect all the time...so give it up already!
  • philosophermom
    I smoked pretty heavily for 18 years, quit about 2.5 years ago. Like @stinkersmommy, I started to piss off my mother. I still smoke pot most days. And I still crave ciggies... Actually smoked a couple a few weeks ago after a fight with Hubs. I sucked my thumb until I was at least 6 or 7, bit my nails, chewed the inside of my mouth... A bit of the oral fixation going on. My mom and most of my aunts and uncles smoked, was always around it as a kid. Sis smokes too, though she's stopped because she's pregnant.
  • purplemoonflowerpurplemoonflower
    How interesting about the thumb sucking & smoking info. Hmmmmm my 19yo son & I both are smokers & we both were thumb suckers ..... :o
  • NoDramaMamaNoDramaMama
    I do, up to pack & a half a day since I was 13 :( But it's my only vice besides coffee. No wine, no pills just caffeine & nicotine. Haven't yet had the desire to quit.
  • LittleTalksLittleTalks
    I just want to add because of my hatred of smoking, I had an aunt who started smoking when she was 13/14. She developed emphysema in her 40s and lived a pretty awful life involving inhalers, operations, near-death experiences and medication every day for 10 years until she died at the age of 54 leaving behind a husband, 3 daughters and a grandson. Another grandson has also been born since. My daughter has her name as her middle name and as I found out I was pregnant the day after she died she never even knew I was pregnant. All because of smoking.
  • CherryfriesCherryfries
    I never have tried a cig but came close. My mom, dad, and stepdad were all smokers, as was a brother. I have aunts and uncles who all smoke but I have never tried. Part of it I think is because my dad died when I was 14 because of lung cancer. His brother died in Sept of 95, his sister in Oct of 95 and then my dad in Nov of 95. I already know that it is a possibility for me so I have decided to not add to the risk. That said, I am not about harass others who choose to smoke. My mom has recently decided to give up smoking and that is good.