toddlers are as bad as tweens
  • regpregp
    Well this one is at least! My DD11 is pretty "gymnastic" as we call it around here...but she can usually be reasoned with after a bit.

GD2.5 (god daughter) falls absolutely apart if I even tell her no. I just told her we don't put our toes in our mouth and she wailed as if I had smacked her. When I'm washing her hair she will scream and cover her eyes and cry...I'll ask "do you have water in your eyes?" And she will feel of her face to see if she does and if there's a drop of water, commence the wailing again.

It's been awhile since my kids were toddlers. Please tell me what sets your toddler on an emotional roller coaster so I'll feel better. I feel like I'm ruining her for life because I won't let her suck her own toes!
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • KatDragonKatDragon
    You never know what will set them off. My kids are 5 and 17. I swear they act the very same way. You would think I had 2 freaking babies! Ugh!!
    "Fantastic!" 9th Doctor
  • KrabbyKay
    Let me see. DS is 8, DD 12, DH 40. .....Waaassss something supposed to get different somewhere in there??
  • regpregp
    @krabbykay HAHAHA your DS & DD are the same age as ours and yeah...still pretty gymnastic I guess.

@basebitch59 I can handle setting my kids off because they get mad or whatever. This girlie crumples like you pushed her down. lol
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    DS3 goes through his phases. For a few months any time you  told him no, he would scream and cry like you were beating him! Ex: "Can I please have some chocolate milk?" "No, we're having lunch soon" "WAHHHHH" big freaking fit. From sane to insane in 3.5 seconds flat lol We just stuck to our guns, ignored it as best we could, and he's over it. For now anyway lol
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Nah, I'm thinking toddlers are far worse, but maybe less expensive? At least if they're girls!

BTW, where you been @regp?
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • regpregp
    @bellabefana I don't even know where I've been. We went on vacation but that was only for a week earlier this month. I've just been in a funky mood for awhile now. In one of those "if you don't have anything nice to say..." moods so I just have been keeping to myself.
  • Lakegirl34
    My son is 22 months and has a meltdown if I offer him the "wrong" kind of food. He has not provided a list, so one one day his reaction to the chicken tenders he loved so much is the same reaction if I had cut the heads off his favorite stuffed animal and tried to feed it to him. He also completely melts down when I put the vacuum away.
  • anonymommy
    What sets him off...let's see: 
    breathing

calling him by the name I gave him at birth as opposed to whichever cartoon character he has decided he shall be for that 5 minute period of time

talking, at all, even if he started the conversation with me

fixing what he said he wanted to eat for dinner, because, duh, mom, that was 5 minutes ago, things have clearly changed

any mention of the word sleep

rinsing the shampoo out of his hair

draining the bathtub

not allowing him to actually sleep in the bathtub

There's no telling from one minute to the next what the crisis will be.  And I actually have a very good, pretty easy to get along with kid.  But he's 3.  And, well, 3 is not fun. 

I suggest keeping a bottle of your favorite wine/booze/beer close by for the big meltdowns. 
  • 456Imamom
    DS2..... well, washing his hair, taking him out of the bath, wiping his face, not letting him play with (and subsequently spill) his milk, giving him his mug without the lid, giving him his mug WITH the lid.... I could go on. He's a good kid, but sometimes it's like every thing is wrong and it's all mommy and daddy's fault.
    I like the wine/beer/booze idea!
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    Um let's see.........................mmmmm.............whatever doesn't suit him at that instant........and holy shit NEVER run out of Ranch that is a massive trigger....just ask the poor chickie at McDONALD'S the other day!!! You would have thought you had beat him to death killed his kitty and burned his stuffie all at once....LOL
  • regpregp
    I am laughing so hard - breathing!
    It sounds like you are all Honest Toddler's mom
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Oh trust me...looking at dd wrong can set her off. It started a year ago. After she turned 3. I really hear about it if I start "swishing" the bath water before she gets her clothes off, and a nuclear bomb would be less destructive than bed time at our house!!!!!!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    Ooh! I got another one! I can't turn off the light- HE has to do it. And I can't put him in his bed- he has to climb in or it's an epic meltdown, every time lol
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • 456Imamom
    @resp there are MANY days that DH and I feel like we are Honest Toddler's mom (and dad)!
  • anonymommy
    456Imamom said:

@resp there are MANY days that DH and I feel like we are Honest Toddler's mom (and dad)!

Same here! 

I also call DS3 my little teenager on a pretty regular basis because he wants to stay up all night and sleep late in the morning.  "I just getting tired, mom.  I don't want to get up.  I want to sleep."  Complete with moaning, groaning and hiding his head under the pillow.
  • anonymommy
    This is from a couple of months ago....he has gotten better, or at least he had until I had to be gone overnight for work this week and I'm still trying to pull him out of my ass long enough to sit down.  Needless to say, he slept with us last night after working his way through most of this list:

http://www.scarymommy.com/message-board/index.php?p=/discussion/16739/ds3039s-guide-to-bedtime#Item_29

• LittleTalksLittleTalks
    Dd2.5 is pretty ok....sometimes....for 5 minutes until I want to kill her. At the moment, mommy has to do every little thing, not daddy. Want help unbuckling your seatbelt? "MOMMY DO IT!" For every fuckin thing. Also when she's just woken up she's hilarious, I said "let's get you some warm socks" and she melted into a puddle on the floor. I spend a lot of time asking if she's a teenager and just laughing when she's being too ridiculous.
  • junglezoo
    456Imamom said:

DS2..... well, washing his hair, taking him out of the bath, wiping his face, not letting him play with (and subsequently spill) his milk, giving him his mug without the lid, giving him his mug WITH the lid.... I could go on. He's a good kid, but sometimes it's like every thing is wrong and it's all mommy and daddy's fault.

I like the wine/beer/booze idea!

@456lmamom Did you steal my son? Sounds like you described him to a T.
    I'm going to the zoo zoo zoo. You can come too too too....
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    The joys of parenthood !! I have DS 5 who will go insane at little things like , getting in the bath , getting out of the bath, leaving the house , comming back to the house , if they don't have pizza. Now my DS 13 he has Aspergers and has his own meltdowns and where as most of the time he is good but sometimes when he is tired or overstimulated or it's a day that ends in y ! ( sometimes lol ) He will get upset if they don't have Mello Yellow ( at lunch ) , if I tell him he has to leave the house to see his dad , I take the iPod away , I tell him bed time , I tell him to turn the game off. Now I really lose it when they both go off at the same time.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • PDXcocoPDXcoco
    I have 12 toddlers a day in my class and my goodness is it full of angsty kids!
  • 456Imamom
    @junglezoo .... no... does this mean my son might have a 'twin' out there? Oh no!  :P
  • undercoverbanana
    The toe thing.....give up on it. Make her wash her feet. Maybe paint her toenails. She can't admire her pretty toes if they are in her mouth. And they probably will taste yucky.
    i'm nekkid.
  • undercoverbanana
    Hair washing.....my kids did the same thing. I let them put a washcloth on their face, and then got a removable showerhead. Water in the face didn't bother them when they were in charge of the water. Be prepared to get wet.
    i'm nekkid.
  • regpregp
    The complete emotional breakdowns are hilarious. I know that sounds mean but you know what I mean hopefully. It's hard not to giggle.
    She's obsessed with DS7 and will not leave him alone. No matter where he sits, she sits on him. If he stands, she lays down on his feet and then yells that he is in her spot. I set her up with a blanket and pillow on the floor and she rolllllled across the floor until she was on top of him again.
    This morning she wanted chocolate milk  - with her donut. Um, no. So I offered her water and she collapsed in a heap screaming I DO NOT NEED ICE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She spins yarns like I've never seen for a 2 year old. She speaks very well so they can get pretty elaborate. She found a pack of pop rocks and told me "I bought these wif my birfday moneys. I boughted them at tha store." I just said oh really...and she took that to mean I had fallen for it so she continued "yeah, uh uh, you wuz there when I boughted them and you said you would get me som more...so we need to go to wamart"

• undercoverbanana
    If all else fails, record her tantrum with your phone and threaten to send it to Santa Claus, her Sunday school teacher, grandma, whoever she adores. "what do you think x person would think if they saw you acting that way?" and....sometimes when they realize they are being recorded, and not getting what they want, it works. At least she isn't holding her breath.
    i'm nekkid.
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I have a 2 year old DD and a 15 year old DSS.  And yes, sometimes the similarities amaze me.  Neither of them will go to bed without some sort of drama.  I've seen them fight for ten minutes over a foam sword.  They tell each other off about playing with the cat.  She calls him a douche.  He calls her a little ho.  They constantly tell on each other.  When told something that they don't want to hear (i.e. it's bedtime.  Time to put away the toy/computer/phone), they both slump their shoulders and say "fine."  The words "It's not my fault" are the most commonly spoken in the house. 
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    Just wanted to add support, we're in the same boat too.. Jameson is devastated about 100x a day, heartbroken, tears, devastated over something like one of the noodles falling off his spoon when he's trying to eat. It's obviously worse when he's tired or hungry, but really it's pretty constant.
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • regpregp
    @tothemoonandback Your noodle example is on the money. I had forgotten how fragile their little world is lol

@liquidpeppermint - a teen AND a toddler?? you deserve some sort of award.

@undercoverbanana Her mom did just that yesterday. She recorded one of her fits to show to my DH (goddaughter thinks he is the best thing ever and she acts totally different when he's around). She didn't even have to show the video, just talked about it to DH in front of GD. I'm hoping the threat of that works today. 
  • DebbiedeeDebbiedee
    When they are small, really stop and ask yourselfg, "Is this really important?' If it is not going to matter in an hour or tomorrow let it go. Washing the feet and painting the nails is a great idea.

You have to always be smarter than your kid, I don't care how old they are. I shall tell you this when you feel like you want to jump off the planet be glad that they are still small enough yet that you know where they are and what they are doing and who they are with. You still have control of what they are eating and drinking.

Someday it will get to the point where you just hope and pray that you taught them enough and know when to use good commom sense and hope it kicks in.

As for the the tantrums, just walk way and tell them to let you know when they are through. if you do not react, they loss.