My kid wants a mullet
  • regpregp
    DS7 wants a mullet. Not a mullet fish, a mullet haircut (who hasn't heard of them though). 
    He has been asking for one for a few months now and I've been putting him off. I let him have the faux-hawk in pre-k & kindergarten, since then he's been rocking "the Beiber" haircut (long bangs, not the latest one, yikes), until a few months ago when he saw a pic from my sister's wedding. Her husband had a super long mullet. It went well with his white tux and teal cummerbund. So, DS7 thinks this is the coolest haircut he's ever seen and cannot be dissuaded. I told him they used to be popular but aren't now. He said he doesn't care. He chose hot pink Jordans (basketball shoes) recently and really just does not care if someone says something negative about it (we don't, obviously, I like his "style" because it's his). 
    I'm thinking it's hair! we can re-cut it if he hates it. I'm hearing differently from other people and so now I'm second guessing myself. They think he will get made fun of and they've also been pretty clear that they would think badly of ME for letting him do it.

Here are a few options we've been looking at:

At least he doesn't want a rat tail - right?
    The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • Ah it's not like he's wanting a tattoo hair gets cut off and it grows back if he hates it well you cut it. If he loves it at least he's expressing himself and doesn't follow trends
  • Matt115
    I say do it! Let him make himself. You're right, if he hates it, you can always recut it.
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    You took the words out of my mouth: At least he doesn't want a rat tail! I don't personally like the style, buuutttt... IT'S HAIR lol It grows. It seems like your son takes his style seriously, and that is awesome! Let him be his own man, do his own thing. It's good practice for later when he needs to be able to stand up for himself and maybe go against the crowd when peer pressure is kicking in. I vote Go for it!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • beachmommybeachmommy
    I say do it! I love that he wants his own style and dgaf if anyone likes it or not.

I like the top one best, but you should show him these pics and let him choose.
    My beach is still Sandy....
  • OpheliaOphelia
    Let him do it. You can always cut it if he hates it.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • hipmama
    I would say let him do it.  It's only hair , easily fixable.  Kids need to express themselft somehow when everything else is getting controlled for them.
  • KrabbyKay
    I'm dying laughing, but hey. I let DD12 dye her fringe black. Now she wants some punk cut, I told her I would compromise with razored layers. It's just hair. 
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    Yep, let him do it.
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    My nephew (11) had a mullet for awhile and I kept trying to talk him out of it, because I cut his hair...my sister didn't care, but she has had a mullet since forever and won't try a new style. But anyways, my nephew had the full out mullet...think Billy Ray Cyrus, Joe Dirt, etc. I was soo glad when he decided to cut it differently! Every time I cut his hair, I wanted to 'accidently' slip, but I didn't. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had been like your pics, because I kinda like the first 2. And kudos to him for having his own style and the confidence to not care what others think!
  • DemandaDemanda
    I think this is hands down, my favourite thread title of all time.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    I'm in agreement with everyone else, let him.  The thing about the mullet is it's longer in the back, so if he decides he doesn't like it, just get the back cut.  I't not like you'll have to wait til it grows out, it'll already be a bit longer.

And I applaud the fact that he won't be dissuaded.  That's a leader trait right there. 
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • thislittlemommy5thislittlemommy5
    They are cute on little boys... And it could always be worse. My husband wants one with a handle bar mustache to go with. I'm not kidding either, he is dead set on it (thank God he can't grow the mustache yet haha).
  • deviltwinsmommadeviltwinsmomma
    oohhh yeah business in the front party in the back!!
    let him do it. my 5 yr old wants a mowak. and it could be worse.
    my mother used to sing me a song. It went like this: "Life is short, life is shit, and soon it will be over.
  • KiinuKiinu
    I'd let him do it.. but I also gave my 2y.o a 3-4" mohawk haircut. So, I mean, I might just be a bad influence.

Also, I had a mullet looking cut when I was in HS.. I had a 3" faux-hawk and the rest of my hair down past my shoulders. but if I didn't gel the top up it really looked like a traditional mullet. My mother was appalled. But I don't recall getting made fun of, I graduated in 08.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    My brother had one all through high school !
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yep it's hair it grows there are far worse things let him
  • LilbitLilbit
    A few years ago my ex's son and all his friends had mullets its just hair people need to take a chill pill.
  • AAA08
    This is hilarious. But yes, just let him, imo.
  • regpregp
    After looking at literally 10-15 pages of mullet images, he picked this one
    http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13500000/c-ronaldo-cristiano-ronaldo-13534682-980-1200.jpg
    (Idk how to insert images from my phone)
    His appointment it at 5:30 & he is jumping for joy. He already had me take "before" pics.
    I agree about his tenacity and determination. If anyone can pull it off, it's him.
    I think you are a fantastic mother for letting your son express himself, regardless of what other people might think about what he does
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness
  • LoveLove
    There is a difference between this mullet

and the one that immediately springs to mind, like this one

LOL but regardless, dude--it's hair. Love it, hate it, it grows back, and can be altered at the drop of a shear!

community-manager

• SammieSammie
    I was going to say exactly what @Love did! That is not your traditional mullet! Lol. I think you're a great mom for letting him express his individuality. :)

community-manager

• PJSaregreatPJSaregreat
    Yes! What @Love said! I would have been ok with my nephew's hair had he had what your pic shows.
  • jaydensmom09
    Its hair. It will grow back. If he wants it, go for it! All the pics of the mullets are cute! You said mullet, I.thought 'joe dirt' lmao!
  • BettyboBettybo
    ... and now that ive read ur decision... hahaha...

coolest. mum. ever.
    Harry Ray - 10th June 2013 <3<br />
    We all got old at breakneck speed, slow it down - go easy on me...
  • regpregp
    Oh my gosh. I know I'm partial because he's mine but he looks too cute!
    He was hilarious with the stylist "a little more off here please" "no, the sides aren't quite right" etc until he got this huge grin and said "that's it! Perfect!"

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u428/twitterstalker/0B51BDC9-6E53-4634-9F34-3AA0DD651631-9029-000004C8FE40B4C1_zpsa0a70d67.jpg
  • BlessieBlessie
    Awwww
  • SammieSammie
    Oh my. You aren't lying! That is one adorable boy, @regp! Such a stylish little dude :)

community-manager

• jaydensmom09
    He's so cute! :)
  • LoveLove
    Omg how ADORABLE!

community-manager

• regpregp
    Thanks!! I'm so glad he's got his own style. He can't wait for school in the morning!
    How do you like those headphones as an accessory? They shorted out so he cut the wire off and this is his "for looks" pair lol
  • katz_meowkatz_meow
    Oh my gosh, he's adorable!
    There is nothing to be gained from treating others poorly.

Don't be a dick.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    He looks tuff.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • BettyboBettybo
    haha! what a little duuuuude!! too cute.
    Harry Ray - 10th June 2013 <3<br />
    We all got old at breakneck speed, slow it down - go easy on me...
  • VegantasticVegantastic
    What a doll! He looks like a little model! And I LOVE the hair- it looks great!!!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"
    "Don't Panic"
  • regpregp
    He loves to strike a pose! lol
    Thanks for the encouragement ladies :)

He said if someone says they don't like it he's going to say "too bad I don't care. Worry about your own hair." 
  • DemandaDemanda
    Oh my gosh, he's adorable, @regp! The hair suits him!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • regpregp
    @demanda So far everyone who was skeptical has responded in the same way, it definitely suits him!

@love He's seen Joe Dirt (his Pop lets him watch wayyy too much stuff lol) and so he knew what he didn't want it to look like lol
  • I love it I just want to squeeze him from being so cute.
  • fancyspatulafancyspatula
    I had a rat tail in the 80s... sad face.
    If I take myself too seriously, I get bored.
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    He is adorable! I love it!
  • OpheliaOphelia
    It's adorable @regp!
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • mama2boys
    So cute... such a doll!  I love the headphones!  I would let my boys do that too... a very tasteful and "fashion-forward" mullet (never thought those two words would be in the same sentence)!
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    Don't lie @regp... that's not your kid. That's a child model picture you snagged from the internet.

Too cute.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• anonymommy
    What a doll! Love that he's free thinking and that you give him room to figure out what he likes himself. Especially love the hot pink shoes!
  • Zooy
    That is so cute!! I keep telling my husband I'm not cutting our sons hair because I want to make a mullet.
  • GPAMomGPAMom
    (I totally think he deserves a mullet fish too, for the record.)

and he is 175% awesome! :-)
  • Lakegirl34
    He is adorable and has so much style! Yay for you for picking your battles.
  • regpregp

Don't lie @regp... that's not your kid. That's a child model picture you snagged from the internet.

Too cute.

:)

I should have posted the whole series of photos. When I asked him to stand there so I could take an "after" pic, he started striking a pose....or four.

The headphones are purely an accessory. They had a short in them so he cut the cord off and wears them "for looks".  
    He said that two kids at school told him they didn't like it and he said he told them "I don't care. If you don't like it, don't do it to your hair". I'm one proud mom 
    :x
  • jaydensmom09
    He's so cute! :)