My baby is almost 2 and still wants "boob"!
  • Cocopuff99Cocopuff99
    My baby will be 2 in June and I thought he would give up the "BOOB" by now but he seems to have no intention to do so on his own. I am starting to get pressure from the family to stop. I also feel embarrassed when we are at the store and my little one starts yelling "BOOB" when he wants to nurse. Does anyone have suggestions.
    It only takes one NEGATIVE comment to kill a dream. REMEMBER that next time.
  • TheMomFactorTheMomFactor
    Cold turkey, hun. Just cut him off. Especially if he's yelling "boob" in a public place. I have a hard time with my kids yelling "vagina" at random women.lol Even if he cries and refuses to eat anything else, he WILL eventually get hungry enough to eat something, and you'll have won. But don't break! He's a big boy and he can have grown-up food now.
    "Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way."-The Seventh Doctor

"One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."
  • Katescrazymom
    My ds is nearly 2, in April and has no intention of giving up the boob any time soon. He's old enough to have some nursing manners, and a couple months ago I started telling him it was for sleepy time only. He still asks other times, and if I offer he gets this huge excited grin, but he knows if he wants to nurse, I'm going to put him to bed. It doesn't always work, but it's close.
    Dh would like me to stop, but I'm not going to just take something that's been such a big part of his life away. That might work for some kid's personalities, but I don't think it would be good for ds.
    I carefully didn't refer to them as boobs, lol. He calls it nur nur.
  • TheHeadacheslayer
    Everyone else aside--do YOU want to quit nursing? If you don't--go for it! I nursed my son until he self-weaned at 26 mos. Breastmilk is better than cow's milk (which is what most switch to anyway). It's great for their immune system (mine never got a cold until after he weaned).

For the ppl who don't like it--they are either ignorant or have issues. Fuck that noise!

Now, he is definitely old enough to teach him nursing manners. If you look up baby signs, you can find one to teach him. Use the sign EVERY time and let him know that is the ONLY way he's going to get to nurse. If he starts yelling boob--done. He'll learn!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with nursing a toddler. The World Health Organization recommends nursing til two!

If you have decided you're done--that's ok too. But look up ways to gently wean. Breastfeeding is more than just food. Plus it will be easier on your breasts than going cold turkey (plugged ducts/mastitis are NO FUN).
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    do YOU want to stop?  if you dont feel any urge to stop than i would worko n nursing manners and tell your family to mind their business
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    otherwise known as what @headacheslayer said!
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • Marionettevie
    mine will be 2 in may and i am teaching him nursing manners.. he has NO intention of quitting and i have no intention of stopping either. so nursing manner it is for us. if you (you and only you) dont want to continue there are ways to stop, gently, and there are ways to stop more abruptly. there is the dont offer dont refuse. but i refuse on occasions, such as, the store.. when im trying to get shit done and i just cant stop. i try to give him other things to distract him. and i tell him to wait until we get to the car. and in the car he doesnt ask because he is still rear facing and i thnk he gets that im too far in the front seat. then there is quitting cold turkey and i know people who have put stuff on theri nipples. such as bandaids and stuff to tell the kids that they are done for the day or something similar. but beware. you will have to figure out how to soothe him in other ways..
  • Texas
    @headacheslayer said it perfectly.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yeppers
  • MomenturesMomentures
  • SahmIamSahmIam
    My first self weaned at 15 mos, the second seems that he'll never stop. Granted, he's only 9mo, but he is way aggressive about it and much different about it than his bro. My first seemed only to nurse for nutrition. This guy is a comfort nurser. dh thinks I should cut him off at 1, but I will when he and I decide its best. I agree w the nursing manners. That's something I need to look into as my baby will just pull my tit out anywhere. My SIL has issues w my niece. My niece just yells "boobies now!!" Anywhere and will stick her hand down her shirt and cause a scene. That's a discipline issue IMHO. I find it slightly humorous, but my SIL does not. Good luck! You know when it's time to give up the boob, not anyone else.
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    I am still breastfeeding DD2 (28 months).  We did nursing manners at about 18 months (when she started shouting "I WANT TITTIES IN DA FACE!" in Wal-Mart--the genesis of that particular phrase is another, LONG, story!), and I've cut her down now to only at bedtime and first thing in the morning. Sometimes she wakes at night and still wants it, and I usually give in. 

The bottom line is, you do what you and your child are comfortable with.  You do what works for YOU, not what works for your sister, your mother, or your best friend.  My sister is quite uninformed and judgmental about the whole thing.  She even thought it was terribly nasty to breastfeed at all.  You have to learn the words, "We're doing what works best for us."  That usually turns away anyone who wants to judge. 
  • irishdoeirishdoe

@Headacheslayer said it perfectly. My youngest dd turned 2 in Jan and is still nursing but we have had to have some teaching moments with regards to manners. No, you may NOT pull mommy's shirt up anywhere, anytime you want "num num" especially when we are in the store! grrrr....  Family knows better than to ask when I'm going to stop too....she/I will know when it is right.  My 1st was 2 when she self weaned, my 2nd 14months, my 3rd 19months....this is my last and tiniest and I'm just going with the flow of things. Do what is right for you and your baby. 

It's not all good.
  • TheHeadacheslayer
    Even after DS weaned, he continued to try to stick his hand down my shirt for ages lol.

As hard as it was (BF was NEVER easy for me) I miss it. But even at 11, he still has vague memories...mostly the comfort he felt. That and I used to rub the bridge of his nose to help him settle down. He still loves that when he's not feeling well.

Ok time to tell my baby hormones to GTFA lol.
  • Marionettevie

I am still breastfeeding DD2 (28 months).  We did nursing manners at about 18 months (when she started shouting "I WANT TITTIES IN DA FACE!" in Wal-Mart--the genesis of that particular phrase is another, LONG, story!), and I've cut her down now to only at bedtime and first thing in the morning. Sometimes she wakes at night and still wants it, and I usually give in. 

The bottom line is, you do what you and your child are comfortable with.  You do what works for YOU, not what works for your sister, your mother, or your best friend.  My sister is quite uninformed and judgmental about the whole thing.  She even thought it was terribly nasty to breastfeed at all.  You have to learn the words, "We're doing what works best for us."  That usually turns away anyone who wants to judge. 

omg i could not stop laughing with the titties in da face comment. if i heard that in the store i would just laugh! even if it was my kid
  • LiquidPeppermintLiquidPeppermint
    @marionettevie: that came about when we went to Las Vegas.  Yes, I took a 16 month old to Vegas.  DH's work was paying for the trip.  I spent the vast majority of it in our room with limited cable, trying to entertain her. 

Anyway, DH was good about trying to come back (it was a work/seminar/rally thing that he was attending) and keep us entertained.  But one day there, he wanted to go for a walk on the strip with some friends from work.  He got back to the room about 2 am, friends in tow.  As they said goodbye to him, they were all hollering, "TITTIES IN DA FACE! TITTIES IN DA FACE!"  Apparently, some guy on the strip was handing out flyers about a night club, promising "titties in da face" to patrons.

Next day, everyone was joking about it, and DD heard.  She thought it was a good idea to repeat it ad nauseum. 
  • Marionettevie
    @LiquidPeppermint- LMFAO! omg so hilarious. did you scold all his friends?
  • undercoverbanana
    You guys will be fine. My dd was born when my ds was 2 yrs 3/onths old......and told me before baby sis was born, she had to go someplace else because he wanted his boobies back. When she was born, he would look longingly at my boobs, but never begrudged her. He got over it.....but he is still a boob man.
    i'm nekkid.
  • mchemm2010
    I had to stop nursing my 22 mo old when he was 11 months :( because i was 4 months pregnant and just wasn't producing enough. he wouldn't take a bottle and it was horrible. I ended up only nursing at night and he so stubborn that he pretty much starved for 3 days cause he didnt want the bottle w/whole milk. After day 3 that bottle was all he was interested in and didn't even want to nurse at night.
    On a somewhat related note. i was nursing my 5 mo old this morning and he came and stuck his face right up against his bothers watching what was going on. he pulled back and looked at me and said "gross! yuck yuck". I told him he did the same thing and that its not gross. He replied with(he talks really well for his age) "natny no way jose" (natny meaning nasty lol) it was pretty funny
  • undercoverbanana
    he won't fight kindergarten still attached the the boob....and in a hundred years, societal morals will have changed 38 times. Who cares? is he needs a boob for a pacifier now and then, so what? As long as it isn't driving you crazy, dont worry about it. Start holding a lovely when you nurse him. And nurse only to avoid a meltdown, if it is driving you nuts. If it doesnt bother you, fuck what everybody else thinks. what works for you, mama?
    i'm nekkid.