explaining to teenage boys why they should wear underwear
  • Anonymous

DS is 19.

when he was little, it was socks. socks drove him nuts. either the seam was on top of his toes, on the edge of his toes, or just under his toes. winter time was awful he would pull of his socks, screaming.

didn't get much better when he was in school. took me hours to find socks in the store, i would end up trimming the seams so close, his toes would pop out. still, he bitched about socks. finally, they started making socks that he finds comfortable.

now it's underwear. he has 5 different kinds of underwear, yet he prefers to freeball. the heatwave is over, dude.

and i'm tired of you saying "because they make my testicles hot", because you think every time you bring up balls i'm going to drop the subject. i'm completely aware that you have balls. i had to inspect and clean them more than once a day when you were a baby.

he gets really embarassed when i'm honest with him, but sometimes, he can be so damn obtuse i really have to "take the low road" for him to get the point.

"why do i have to wear underwear for blah blah blah? tell me ONE REASON."

ok.

you asked for it.

"because you look like a baby elephant looking for something to do (swinging one arm in front of me like a trunk and whistling)." 

yes, the boy was embarrassed.

• CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    I personally go commando, I'm way more comfortable, and the only time I've ever received a yeast infection was when I was on anti-biotics, and I kind of equate that with my not wearing underwear. HOWEVER, I've never understood how a guy can be comfortable not wearing underwear. Wouldn't his dingaling just sort of flop around then?

community-manager

• Anonymous
    i would THINK so. and the boys might get pinched. you'd think it would be more comfortable if everybody was reigned in? i hate not wearing a bra & feeling the girls flop around, all akimbo.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Have him checked for fibromyalgia.
    deus ex machina
  • Anonymous
    he has no aches & pains, ridiculously healthy kid, maybe overly sensitive (tactile). i think stinker is showing off.
  • ImWendyImWendy
    In younger people, it can be just a tactile thing, but progresses. Or maybe he's just showing off. lol
    deus ex machina
  • Anonymous
    probably both. especially since he doesn't chase girls, he prefers to be caught. i don't even want to know if there's "truth in advertising."
  • breezybreezy
    I use to wear my socks inside out because the seam bothered me. Hanes makes tagless/seamless boxers... If he's got sweaty balls tell he to spray some antiperspirent on the taint and put that baby elephant away! lol.
  • Anonymous
    i tried the inside-out-sock-thing when he was little. didn't work. he's got tagless, flannel, cotton knit, stretchy cotton & silk boxers & boxer briefs.FREAKIN' SILK! i don't have silk underthings, put dumbo AWAY!
  • violetmama
    When my boys are 19, I'm going to be over worrying if they wear underwear or socks. I feel once they're adults, their underwear preference or lack there of is no longer any of my business. 

• AnonUser24
    Lol good point @violetmama
  • Anonymous
    for the most part, i agree.....but if he's asked to go somewhere that requires a suit or semi-formal dress, reigning "the boys" in is required. or he has to at least be aware of how it looks.
  • Anonymous
    socks, i don't care about. that was when he was little.
  • AnonUser24
    Yeah I think as a mom I would be mentioning the baby elephant on those occasions lol ;) what a hilarious thing to say, that made me laugh.
  • Anonymous
    it's disturbing to me to see my son's junk swinging around. also, those little (and not so little) girls ogling his crotch in front of me makes me want to slap them silly. i once told some chick in her late late 20's that if she called my son & his best friend "the yummy brothers" in front of me one more time, i was going to eat her face.
  • breezybreezy
    lol and a bit disturbed at the same time...
  • CrashCrash
    He's tactile sensitive. I have sympathy for that. But honestly? Wearing underwear is annoying....but having the boys rub on jeans is not? i don't get it. That's why I've never found going commando, even as a woman, comfortable. Outer clothes are just not made to contact tender bits.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • ImWendyImWendy
    Secretly take a pic or video when it's at its worst and he's not looking, then show him?
    deus ex machina
  • Anonymous
    I don't understand why underwear makes him sweaty.  Even if he doesn't wear them, doesn't the pants or shorts he wears make them sweaty too??  It's times like this I'm truly glad I don't have a penis.  :D
  • TypoFaeryTypoFaery
    this makes me glad I have girls. LOL I agree with @ImWendy either record it and show how stupid he looks, Or have an older relative point it out.. loudly in front of people..Something along the lines of I can see your wally wally!! But getting an older relative to do this might be difficult........I could loan you my mother, she would do it in a heart beat. She would say something along the lines of, " You aint got much to advertise, so why dont you go put the earthworm and the twins away"
  • loveitloveit
    Ok I don't get it...how are you seeing an "elephants trunk swinging around " if he has clothes on? I'm assuming that just because he's not wearing underwear doesn't mean that he's not wearing clothes?
  • breezybreezy
    I was thinking of dh when he is in his pjs sans underwear... You can see it.
  • Anonymous

all his pants/ shorts are soft, fairly thin, and baggy. he's 6 ft 2 in. & about 165 lbs. and i guess, "gifted". and there's no way i'm taking a crotch shot pic of my boy to show him.

i don't think underwear makes him sweaty (ok, the flannel boxers, i can see that. it's 80 degrees or better 8-10 months out of the year, here), i think he mistakenly assumes that if he brings up testicles, i'm going to drop the subject.

on a day-to-day basis, i don't really care......but when he's required to wear something nice, it's REALLY obvious. and yes, girls and women to ogle him and leer at his crotch in front of me. i've actually pointed it out to him a few times. ("see that one right there? in the hootchie dress? she just checked out your junk and saw your mom watching her. not a classy broad.") i mean, seriously, who checks out a guys crotch in front of his mom?

• Anonymous
    I bought my DS17 a bottle of nice nuggets made by Doc Johnson (http://www.amazon.com/Doc-Johnson-Nuggets-Genital-Freshener/dp/B0051I9YFI) he was embarassed at first but once he tried it he was hooked!
  • Anonymous
    oh---i just got him the "anti-monkey-butt" gift pack!  but i'll look that up, thank you!
  • shanlars
    Ok, so I can totally relate, my son is 8 and has refused uderwear since about 5years old. I have tried everything. He wont wear nice shorts or jeans because theyre too itchy, but if he wore underwear they wouldnt be! He flat out refuses. His wardrobe would expand greatly if he would wear underwear. Any ideas are appreciated...........
  • mericksmom
    has he tried a little powder or deodorant/antiperspirant on the skin so it doesnt get so sweaty.....kinda like us when we get under the boob itch/sweat?        Maybe a talk with dad, uncle or grandpa?
  • TottyCake
    @shanlars my 8 year old is exactly the same! So I save that battle for school. It's tough, but I tried all kinds of undies. He likes boxer briefs.
  • undercoverbanana
    That was me.....that was my boyo and his baby elephant. Maybe it was his new girlfriend, but he wears underwear when he leaves the house. Good enough.
    i'm nekkid.
  • OpheliaOphelia
    Just the way the first post was worded had me thinking this HAS to be @undercoverbanana. I'm sitting here laughing like an idiot about the baby elephant and antiperspirant taint. So glad no one else is here.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.. -Grateful Dead<3
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    Here's a good reason:
    franks_and_beans
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • French_momFrench_mom
    That picture had me cross my legs even tho I am a girl. EEOUCH   X_X
    It is for me to know and you to dot dot dot.
  • LLBLLB
    I have a male friend that goes commando all the time. He admits it's to "show off the goods" :roll eyes:
  • undercoverbanana
    I think my son just likes to be as close to naked as is socially acceptable. When he was in Jr. High, the first thing he would do when he got home from school is take off his pants and walk around in boxers and declare "pants are for losers!"
    i'm nekkid.
  • LLBLLB
    Oh god! @undercoverbanana ds5 does that! He strips when he gets home. The only time he is not walking around in undies at home is when there is company over or hes playing outside! Even then it's only because we make him put on clothes! You mean it doesn't stop???
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    DD is a little nudist, too. I make her keep her panties on, but most of the time, that's all she has on. She even sleeps that way.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • bombkittybombkitty
    My 15 y/o does the same thing.  I told him about the VDP.  "Visible Dick Print", as in junk all obvious in your pants.  I don't know what to tell you, boys that age do whatever they want, maybe he enjoys the attention a little, too.
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    I didn't read the thread so I apologize if I'm being redundant but.. I would say because you don't want your equipment sticking to your leg or peeking out of your shorts... but they might do that anyways depending on what kind of underoos you got on... This requires way too much thought for a sick person at 930am. 

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • undercoverbanana
    :-P I hope you feel better. No, he's not so "gifted" it would hang out, like that guy that got felt up and searched at the airport.
    i'm nekkid.
  • BreakOutQueenBreakOutQueen
    just LMFAO...I go through the same shit with my 15 yr old. Same shit. One day the boys will get caught on something. He'll figure it out.
  • Kmb1
    You guys are nuts! Pun meant!

I am in my 30s and have never worn underwear, because it serves no purpose, except in the minds of others. I am a man. My body is shaped like a man. And? So what? I am relatively well endowed; not huge, but nicely good, and I am sure there is movement, but again, so what?

I am happy with my body and it feels so much better not to be confined, and yes I get the occasional admiring look from girls, just as they get from me for their curves and bits and pieces. We forget some of the nice parts of being human when we are so worried about covering everything up all of the time...

Many of you say you do not want to see your sons package, so I would suggest you focus your gaze on his face. Why are you looking down there so much??????????

Leave the boys, and your boys alone, and yes, pun meant again... Do not make them feel self conscious about their hang downs, just because of your hang ups, and yes, pun intended yet again! Haha!

Let them be as nature intended. It is not a big deal, except in your own minds. If they are happy with their bodies, that is a great thang! Let it be!
  • undercoverbanana
    @kmb1 I dont mind him being happy with his body.....but I do mind grown women being happy with his body right in front of me.....hes moved out, so his freeballing is entirely up to him.....i just wanted him to reign his stuff in when he went somewhere dress slacks were required. .......i still say, though, girls and women that leer at a man's crotch in front of the man's mom is a skank. Wear sunglasses or something, at least.
    i'm nekkid.
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    My DH wears boxers. mostly because he's sensitive to the thread and seams in pants. I've not noticed that it does anything to reign in his junk. 

I don't care.

I've got two boys and I don't know if I care whether or not they choose to wear underpants later. They do right now. I suppose the greatest benefit to underpants for my boys is protecting pants from skid marks. 

I did go commando for a brief period of time in my early 20s. Personally, I think my nether regions are a bit too humid to go commando. It's less laundry for me to change underpants frequently than to change pants. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • Kmb1
    Skid marks? Yuck! Not being mean, but if you tend to yourself properly, there should be no chance of said marks, ever....

Also, I find I sweat more with everything forced together. With a little breeze, no sweat. Also with the extra heat of underwear, you are less fertile and more apt to sperm damage. You balls are outside for a reason.

And for me, I cannot wear clothes
    more than once between washes, unless we are talking jeans on a cool day, or shorts around the house. I wear once and wash. No criticism of your patterns... Just saying what I do.