My 9 year old still wets the bed
  • Anonymous
    My 9 year old daughter still wets the bed every night. This is an issue that has affected almost all of her cousins and well and my sisters and myself when we were growing up. I make her wear nighttime 'pullups' for her age so that her mattress is not ruined but she is so mortified. I feel for her. I know there is medication out there for this issue but I really hate to start her on anything medicinal. How many of you have dealt with older kids who still wet the bed? What worked for you?
  • Anonymous
    I had trouble with my oldest and she is 11 now. I think she finally stop at 9 though. My niece still has to wear a pull-up and she is 10. She was dx with a small bladder and she took meds during the day time. It does help to limit drinks after a certain time. Maybe even try gettin her up in the middle of the night.
  • Anonymous
    I ended up getting a bedwetting alarm. You sew a sensor into the underwear which is attached to an alarm on the shoulder of the pj's. As soon as even a little moisture hits the sensor, an alarm that would wake the dead, the neighbours and everyone else goes off! It comes with a sticker award system - silver for nights kid woke up to alarm and made it to the bathroom to finish, and gold for dry nights. It took only three weeks total to get him to stop bedwetting. He was in kindergarten when I did this.
  • Anonymous
    My daughter is 14 and still wets the bed occasionally. Dr said it was due to hormones and once she gets her period her urine will 'thicken' up and it should stop. The medications have terrible side effects, by the way
  • Anonymous
    My daughter is 9 and still wets the bed several nights per week. We tried the meds a couple of years ago and got all the way up to the maximum dose on one and he was wanting to put her on another to go along with it and I drew the line. Even on the max dose, she was having accidents a couple of times per week.
    She's mortified too but she knows how awful it was to try to get her mattress acceptable after the last time she refused to wear a pull up and drowned her mattress in a lake of urine.
  • Anonymous
    I didn't want to go to medication either if I could avoid it. So when my doctor prescribed the bedwetting alarm, that was my choice. We tried everything first - limiting liquids etc. One night we got him up four times and he wet the bed between each time up to the bathroom!!! The alarm training did the trick - although he slept through the alarm the first two nights - we didn't LOL - but by the time the third night came he was waking up and trying to make it too the bathroom. I really think he just was such a deep sleeper that he wasn't aware of when his bladder was full.
  • Anonymous
    Oh my word, I just want to give your little girl a hug. It alarming to see the range of problems other parents have with their children. I wish you luck and send love and good vibes your way.
  • Anonymous
    My husband wet the bed until he was like 14. His parents did nothing and it went away. He just never went to sleepovers.
  • Anonymous
    i had the same issue, all the women in my extended family did too, each of us til we hit puberty. i wouldnt do meds. i think meds in kids are over-prescribed, especially at a time when they are developing. every kid is different and has different challenges. try a plastic sheet. they wash easily and wont be so embarrasing for her.
  • Anonymous
    That is interesting that puberty was mentioned a couple of times...never thought of that! I will try the alarm thing and see if it helps her to start training herself to wake up at a certain time each night. Glad too to hear that I am not the only one denying the meds....seems that everyone these days wants to throw pills at everything. Thank you guys for responding!!!!
  • Anonymous
    I wouldn't medicate....she will grow out of it....my son is 9 almost 10 and is just now staying dry at night. My two younger sisters also...were tween age when they stopped.
  • Anonymous
    The bedwetting alarm is an alarm that has two parts - one is sewn into the underwear and the other velcro's onto the shoulder of the pj's. When the one in the underwear gets even a little wet it completes a circuit that sets off the alarm on the shoulder by the kids ear. It came with a reward system of stars and a chart. Silver stars for waking up to the alarm and finishing in the toilet and gold stars for waking up and going on own resulting in a dry bed and dry underwear in the morning. Even a little leak was enough to set the alarm off!! It took three weeks and then no more bedwetting - ever!! He was so proud of himself. I was glad we could do it without meds, since I think he just was such a deep sleeper that he just didn't realize he needed to wake up and go.
    In Canada, they are available at a medical supply store and I was able to have mine covered by company benefits because my doctor prescribed it. It was only $90 anyway.(this was several years ago as son is now 13) I highly recommend it to everyone. I passed mine along to another mother in the class, who was having the same issue with her son. I think it went through 5 kids in that class before I lost track of who had it LOL. I was just happy to help and hopefully it helped a bunch more kids that I don't know about!
  • Anonymous
    my daughter wet the bed untill she was the same age, as did her father, and his father as well. i don't know what age the boys grew out of it, but i took my lovely to the chiropractor. i am in the health field and knew who to trust, and if you think it's something you are open to, it ended things instantly. she had three appointments with a minor,gentle adjustment. let me be soooo clear on this point... MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK and find someone you can trust. other than that, it's not as scary or intense as some people believe, and like i said.. end of problem and all that accompanied it. good luck! (meds and/or alarm were not options for me)
  • Anonymous
    My mom wet the bed in her teens and so did my dad...A little embarrassed to say but I wet the bed until my late teens. They became less and less frequent (of course) over time and went away on it's own. Just be patient.
  • Anonymous
    My daughter wet the bed until she was 12. We did good-night pants (which she hated) and I bought her cute little pajama shorts and tops for her to wear when she went to sleepovers so the pants wouldn't be noticable. I would put a couple of plastic bags in her overnight bag so that she could discreetly put the good-night in there and bring home to throw away so her friends wouldn't know. We had her examined by a urologist just to make sure everything was ok. She could've taken meds but after seeing the side-effects, we chose not to. She eventually grew out of it. Good luck!
  • Anonymous
    I wet the bed when I was young and my parents got the alarm system. After a couple of months, I no longer wet the bed. I was told that it had something to do with how heavy a sleeper I was (I couldn't wake up fast enough to get to the bathroom, apparently.) Keep the faith, she will grow out of it! :-)
  • Anonymous
    My daughter wet the bed until she was 10. We put a mattress protector on, no meds, she outgrew it. She also wet herself occasionally during the day because shed hold it.
  • Anonymous
    My daughter did until she was almost 9. We decided against the meds too. Used a mattress cover and pullups.

We started limiting drinks - just a little to drink after 5 p.m. We also had her try to hold her pee for a short bit - not enough to be harmful or anything - just try to hold it until "we get home" or "finish our meal", etc. After about a month of this, it worked! :)
  • Anonymous
    My boys are 12 and 14 and both of them still wet the bed. They've wet every night of their lives. Neither has ever had a dry night. Been checked out by doctors and nothing is wrong. It's just something that runs in my husband's family. All of the men have been bedwetters into their late teens. Since my boys are very heavy wetters and are bigger guys, goodnights don't work and we have had to resort to buying bigger sized disposible diapers online. Since they've worn protetion every night of their lives they really don't mind the diapers all that much. They don't do sleep overs though. We don't want to ue meds due to the side effects and we know they'll eventually grow out of it. It's just part of everyday life and we deal with it. No reason to make a big issue out of it.
  • MotherMayIMotherMayI
    This isn't too cause any false alarm. But bed wetting is a sign of high blood sugar. My son has type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes. That was one of the first signs.
  • [Deleted User]
    I understand that the situation is frustrating. This particular subject is a sensitive issue for me. I wet the bed until I was around 16-17, my accidents became less and less frequent and eventually went away. It's the most humiliating thing ever. My mom wet the bed until her teens and so did my dad.

My dad and step-mom used to put grown-up diapers on me because they were worried about their mattress getting ruined. They put me downstairs in the den with an air mattress and made me wash it off in front of the entire neighborhood with a hose outside and made me wash my own sheets. I understand parents being worried that there may be something medically wrong with their child. BUT that's not always the case. Stop assuming there's something 'wrong' with your child. It's a normal common thing.

You shouldn't compare your child's growth to what society has laid out as 'normal' or 'acceptable'. I understand parents wanting to 'train' their children to get up in the middle of the night but please don't use all these bells and whistles and alarms. This is an issue that shapes your child's self-esteem and self worth. My mom would set an alarm for herself and then come and get me and take me to the bathroom. She showed she CARED. She showed my compassion and patience. Of course she was frustrated at times but she didn't take it out on me. She didn't make me feel like I was a freak who was a huge inconvenience to her and her life or an embarrassment like my dad and step-mom. I'm not saying all parents do what my dad and step-mom did all I'm saying is be careful how you treat the issue. Please.
  • lokaloka
    my daughter just wet the bed... she's 9 was so tired that day though from studying.... so sleepy .. in deep sleep... whats the big deal? we tell them to drink 8 glasses of water everyday.. pee before bed time.. but then again is still happens... she's in perfect health.. but then she wets the bed every now and then.. i know it'll pass... i love her still even the pee stinks.. hihihihi. ;)
  • Anonymous
    My DS and DD both wet the bed. DD is 7 and DS is 11. Both dad and I wet the bed and so did some of our siblings. In my day bedwetting was not understood so my folks did their best to tease and humiliate me. There were times my DH and I were even spanked by our pants for bedwetting. We take an entirely different approach. We know the kids can't help it and know that they will eventually out grow it. We don't treat them special and we don't even limit liquids. They have to learn to control their bladders living a regular life like everyone else. Yes they pee before bedtime but that's about it. We use disposible diapers on the kids because we find pullups too unreliable. It's not a big deal. We want them to feel that we're involved in the situation and to be able to monitor it and discuss it with them. Diapering them and changing them in the morning gives us that time to do just that. Sure our 11 year old can take his own diaper off but he knows he's not allowed to and he doesn't. He's fine iwth that. On the very rare occasion when he's had a dry night he's actually anxious for us to change him so that we can see that his diaper is dry. We're cool about the bedwetting and the diapers so are kids are too. And please don't lecture me that its wrong to diaper and 11 year old. It's a personal choice. I think eveyrone on this board needs to respect everyone else's way of parenting more. So many judgmental people here. Can't we all just be online friends and supportive? Why such disharmony?
  • diapermom
    My daughter is a bedwetter and i use a thick cloth diaper and rubberpants on her at night.she broke out in rashes from goodnites and the other disposables she wore.the cloth diaper and rubberpants work well for her.i buy the adult size rubberpants and they fit her loose over her diaper.