HPV 16
  • momofteensmomofteens
    I am freaking out...  had my annual pap test 2 weeks ago and today the Dr office calls and informs me that I tested positive for HPV 16.  I go next Wednesday for additional tests.  From what I have read this is an STD that can cause cervical cancer correct???  I had an affair this past summer.  So I assume this is where it came from.  Does this mean my husband now has it?  How does it affect men??  Is there anyone out there who can talk to me about this????  I am freaking out!  What in the world have I done????????????? 
  • SingleMomAgainSingleMomAgain
    The HPV-16 virus can cause cervical cancer but it tends to be a slow growing cancer and as long as you make sure to get your PAP screenings regularly you can keep on top of any cancer cells that may develop as a result of the HPV.
  • momofteensmomofteens
    I am supposed to have a hysterectomy soon...  so if I don't  actually have cervical cancer yet then I can't get if they remove it right?? But...  I did have anal and oral sex with this man and my husband...  so I am now at risk for those  types of cancer correct??

It's still a really slow growing cancer.  They measure it in years.  So the good news is that you know you have it, so you can make sure to get screened more frequently.  But you will need to tell your DH.  Does he know about the affair?
  • momofteensmomofteens
    @SingleMomAgain  Yes he knows about the affair.  I came clean with him a couple months ago and he forgave me.  I told him immediately today about the HPV and he was awesome and supportive.  Makes me wonder why in God's name did I cheat on this man???  I've not read anything about screening for men.  Have you?

I don't really know that much about the screening.  But I think you'll feel a lot better after you talk to your Dr. on Wednesday.  YOur DH sounds awsome.  Don't beat yourself up about this, it isn't helpful or productive and it will just make you crazy. 
  • momofteensmomofteens
    @SingleMomAgain  Thank you :)
  • SammieSammie
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. You did the right thing by being honest with your husband about all of this. He's amazing for being so supportive!

I don't know much, but like the ladies said, you will feel better after your doc appt. your husband needs to make an appt asap as well, so he can be tested.

And...you should contact the man you contracted this from. Tell him what's going on. I know that's the last thing you want to do, but if he doesn't know then he could be spreading this to other innocent women.

community-manager

• crazylazymommycrazylazymommy
    The thing with HPV and the strains that cause cancer, is that it is pretty impossible to determine who you may have gotten it from. You can also contract it when using a condom. I was told this from my Gyne when i tested positive for HPV and mild dysplasia. I was an avid condom user, and was  in a relationship with the same guy for 3 years when I found out. I was told the cells they found were precancerous. My boyfriend at the times reaction,"what did you give me?" Yeah that was coming from the asshole I found out had cheated on me. Also the girl he had cheated with and other girls in that group of friends all had HPV. I did all the research i could, wanting to know if i was going to be ok. I luckily did not have the strain that caused genital warts, i would have killed that F'er. I ended up getting what they call Laser, to remove the precancerous cells from my cervix. 5 years later, and my paps have been normal, i show no signs of dysplasia. There are no tests to detect it in men, and they easily spread it to other women.
  • CinnaCinna
    Relax take a deep breath. I have HPV or had I guess. I was told I had it when I was 18 and did nothing about it until I was 26. That's how slow growing it is. They did a LEEP procedure and now it is gone. All of my Pap smears have been normal since. It did not change my life in any way.
    Two hearts! Oh baby I'm beating out a samba!
  • InsanityandChaosInsanityandChaos
    Hold the phone for a minute. You got a call after your normal pap saying to come back in because they found abnormal cells that could be  HPV or you were told you definitely have it? I ask because a few years ago I got a similar call, totally freaked out, freaked out on my husband since how else could I have contracted an STD, all to go in and find out that they had detected abnormal cell growth in my pap. I had to go back and they did this thing where they pinch off a biopsy and test it again. Everything came back clear. Since then I've had no abnormal paps come back. I'm really sorry if you do have it, I just don't want to see you do what I did!
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    HPV can live under the fingernails and be caught from....er....manual stimulation, shall we say. You don't even need to have penetrative intercourse to catch it. Just FYI.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • SammieSammie
    I thought there were certain strands that could only be transmitted through intercourse? I guess I need to freshen up my memory on the matter.

community-manager

• fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I don't think so, but I'm not an expert.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • SammieSammie
    Me either. Thats why I asked. I'm jumbled. Gonna google later ;)

community-manager

• shadylaneshadylane
    I don't want to scare u but men and women can get also get throat and rectal cancer from hpv. Unfortunately there is no way to test for it in men so they just keep spreading it. Unless they have warts there is no way to know ur with a man with hpv. But they can get testicular cancer like we can get cervical. Don't freak out though, this does not mean u and ur dh will get cancer. I know its terrifying but its a very common std, almost 50% of sexually active people have it or have had it. Some strains go away by themselves. Don't freak out, this is most likely not going to change ur life at all.
    ~slim shady~
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    I also have HPV, Ive had it for a while so I cannot be sure where I got it from.  

I did get abnormal cells which I left untreated and ignored.  Once I decided to actually address the issue it was over 4 years AFTER i had first been found to have the abnormal cells.  When they did the colposcopy it was found that the cells were turning to cancer.  I promptly had them removed and the surrounding tissue and have been ok for my checkups.  It has affected me because Im high risk because the procedure has shortened my cervix and it will most likely cause me to deliver the baby early.

Your DH probably has it, if you were the only partners hes ever had, you probably gave it to him. If hes been with others, he might have given it to you.
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • shadylaneshadylane
    Yeah its hatrd to tell who gave it to who, he could have given it to u when u first got together or u could have given it to him when u first got together. U could both have had it this whole time.
    ~slim shady~
  • momofteensmomofteens

@InsanityandChaos the office called and said I tested positive for hpv 16 and need to have the other test done. I forget the name someone mentioned it in the posts it starts with a C. I am praying it is a false positive. But I know I can' tbe that lucky

@goodmommy  was it hpv 16 that you tested positive for?

Does anyone know if there is a way to detect mouth, throat or anal cancer early?

Thank you so much ladies for your support.

• Anonymous

if you're going to have a hysterectomy soon, it's a non issue. no cervix, no possible cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in/on your cervix. as far as your hubby, a lot of guys carry different strains of HPV. i doubt he was a virgin when you guys got together. it may not even be the affair. there's no way to know unless he's tested to see if he carries it.

• momofteensmomofteens
    @mammatroll  I didn't think there was a test for men, is there?

could I have had it for yrs and it never have showed up on past pap tests?
  • Anonymous

there must be a test for men. that's where women get it from.....also, there's an HPV vaccine for boys, now, too, so there has to be a test of SOME kind. probably a blood test?

yeah, you could have had it for years. you (or he) could have contracted it as teenagers with other people. they aren't new viruses. they just started testing for them recently--like, the last 10 years, i believe? i'm 42 (nearly) and i don't think they started talking about it --or, at least, i didn't hear about it--until i was 30ish or so. i'm sure some of the nurse mommies can give you better info.

• AnonUser37
    According to my sister, who is a nurse there is still no test for men. There are many, many, strains of hpv, some cause cancer, some cause warts and some cause nothing....
    When I had hpv, I had pre cancerous cells, they removed them, a little tiny patch of them, with a LEEP procedure and I've been fine since. I was advised, by the ob, that it is a virus that in many cases clears the body on its own. Even the strains that CAN cause cancer, do not always do so.
    Literally, 80% of sexually active people will be exposed to this during their lifetime, most will never know, because the body fights it off.
    Also, the warts people have on their finger or elbow....that's hpv as well.
    I know its hard, but take a deep breath, and try not to stress too much until you've gone back for further testing. Write down your questions, so you can ask your doc....I know asking them everything I could think of made me feel so much better.
  • Anonymous

@mommacop---that's weird..........still no test for guys? so why did the male vaccine just recently come out?

(i'm not questioning you, i'm just pondering. i wouldn't put it past drug companies to pull that crap.) how did they know who to (and not to) give it to? how do they know if it's actually preventative in boys if they can't test for it? how do they know it works? i'm going to have to bring that up to my obgyn next time i see him.

• AnonUser37
    I don't have an answer for that.
    The way I understand it, the vaccine is the same for everyone, they've just recently had the light bulb go off that using it on boys TOO would help slow the spread, versus just leaving it to girls to be protected.
  • Anonymous

.........................but since there's no way to test for it, they aren't even sure that it works....................wow.

gotta love the drug companies, don'tcha? scary.

• Anonymous
    in texas, they just started marketing it for boys. before, it was girls only.
  • LoveLove
    Once a long time ago, I had a pap come back bad too. They said I had atypical squamous cells, generally associated with HPV, and could be pre-cancerous.
    I had the (very painful) biopsy thing done, and everything was fine. doc said we could do the cone procedure thing and wipe it all out, or we could take a wait-and-see approach.
    I opted for the wait-and-see.
    That was about 7 years ago, and I get annual paps, and haven't ever had another come back.

The info already shared on HPV is excellent. Although some classify it as sexually-transmitted, there does not have to be actual intercourse to contract it.
    And as most never present any symptoms whatsoever, it's very easy to spread, because you don't know you have it.

community-manager

• CinnaCinna
    @momofteens unfortunately I have no idea what strain I had.
  • momofteensmomofteens
    @mommacop  thank you.  It's been over 24 hrs since the phone call...  and after all the reading on here and google  I am feeling so much calmer.  It's almost like HPV is like the common cold...  everyone gets it and it goes away on its own most of the time.  I just happen to get the nasty one that will cause me to have to be very careful and not miss a single pap test.  
    This is such a great group of women, thank you to you all!!!   
  • Anonymous
    i'm glad you feel better, and hope that all of it works out.
  • tammidz
    Anonymous

if you're going to have a hysterectomy soon, it's a non issue. no cervix, no possible cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in/on your cervix. as far as your hubby, a lot of guys carry different strains of HPV. i doubt he was a virgin when you guys got together. it may not even be the affair. there's no way to know unless he's tested to see if he carries it.

I am responding to the person who posted the above text in pink.....this is not correct.  I had a hysterectomy when I was 12 (medical condition).  I have a PAP every year.  The last one came back abnormal, my doctor did more tests and it confirmed that I had HPV16.  She did a colposcopy and I have mild dysplasia.  Correct, I have no cervix, but it does affect your vaginal walls as well.  I am waiting on third opinion on how to proceed since I do not have a cervix.  However, the colposcopy showed A LOT of precancerous cells around my vaginal walls....and I've never had a wart, lesion or any other indication of this.  So, please DO NOT BE FOOLED that you will be okay if you have a hysterectomy.

• MoJoMoJo
    Guys do not have a HPV test b/c it does not effect them. They are carriers, the only kind of HPV that shows for them is HPV warts. The skin on the penis is alot thicker than the skin on the vagina. Them dirty bastards :)
  • NewtoHPV
    I am 52y old and have just been diagnosed with cn1 with HPV.

I am now being checked every six months and know am under good care.

But I am really worried about my 15y old daughter who fell sleep in my bed last week and being summer we were both wearing short night dresses. I am worried sick that I havnt passed this infection in case our legs touched in the night. Please help...
  • CinnaCinna
    @newtohpv I'm positive that your daughter is fine. HPV is not contracted by your legs simply touching. it has to have a way into your body
  • MorganD
    I had a pap come back abnormal when I was pregs with DS18most, and my doc said we'd explore the possibilities as soon as I had him, but she never brought it up again after that. I haven't seen a gyno since, I can't afford it, so I have to just hope for the best, I guess.
  • NewtoHPV
    Thank u goodmommy. I am a little relieved!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    Anonymous said:

@mommacop---that's weird..........still no test for guys? so why did the male vaccine just recently come out?

(i'm not questioning you, i'm just pondering. i wouldn't put it past drug companies to pull that crap.) how did they know who to (and not to) give it to? how do they know if it's actually preventative in boys if they can't test for it? how do they know it works? i'm going to have to bring that up to my obgyn next time i see him.

The vaccine is just that, a vaccine and prophylactic, like any other vaccine.  They don't have to know who to give it to. and who not to.  My understanding of the women's is that it's give between ages 12-30.  I would suspect it's the same vaccine for boys/men and same age range.  The statistics indicate that >50% of men will get/be exposed to the virus and it manifests itself as genital warts in men.  The male cancers associated with HPV are extremely rare and getting the vaccine isn't so much to protect men as to protect the women with who they're having sex.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Dr. Oz is having a segment on HPV tomorrow (Oct,11) @momofteens
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...