Starting a Craft Business
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Through another thread it was suggested to me to try to make my own money. I have spoken with DH and believe that would be a fantastic idea. My concern is spending money making things and then no one will buy them. Dh suggested make 4 or 5 of whatever and if they don't sell then I get to keep them and just try something else. I desperately want to try this. I have almost nothing of me anymore always a mom or wife sister or daughter no more ME. I think in doing this I will have time to myself to craft which I love to do and make some money. Two things..I am terrified i will fail and I am not sure what is more likely to sell..
    I have a few Ideas that would be inexpensive for me to make so if it flops I don't have a big loss. Any one have any suggestions with this?
    I also have  no mind for business anything would be helpful 
    :)
  • breezybreezy
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd397/pbreezyb/IMAG0360-2.jpg

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd397/pbreezyb/IMAG0359-3.jpg

I made a few tee shirt bracelets. Google them. I spent 2 bucks on key rings and old cotton tee-shirts. I didn't use any hot glue. Just some upholstery thread to tack them for braiding and then sewed them on to the rings.

• breezybreezy
    Crappy pics... sorry.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    LOVE this @monkeymommy !  After we move and get settled, that's exactly what I will be doing as well.  I have so many ideas and am fairly artsy...I just need a space to do it in.  My "space" will be one of the first things set up after we move.

Good luck to you!  Can't wait to see all your awesome stuff!  OH!  And it sounds like your husband has the right idea...and is super supportive!
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    @breezy !!  Those are wonderful!!
  • breezybreezy
    Etsy is like eBay for homage crafts.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Is it easy to navigate and use?  Is it over crowded with cute things/duplicates?
  • OnmylastnerveOnmylastnerve
    My mom makes jewelry and other type of crafts and she has done pretty well. Just start small and definitely do etsy like @breezy said. I'm on there every night.
    For the business side keep all receipts and record all sales. I usually do the bookwork for my mom for cheep just ask around if any one wants to do some paper work or if they can give some free advice.
    not my chair, not my problem
    @breezy those are cute!  I am thinking of making newspaper beads, baby booties, decorative bobby pins. I just have no clue..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Excellent advice @Onmylastnerve and @mammatroll !!
    Okay so I don't have any IRL friends... just my mommy:)  So I am gonna ask what you guys think of these and how well they would sell.   One is newspaper beads, I can get newspaper for free the other is baby boots. I have a hard time finding shoes for DS because he has such fat little feet. how well do you think these things would sell here are pics.....image
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    @monkeymommy http://www.etsy.com/category/children/accessories/hair_clip I am constantly buying things like this off of etsy, and I would defnitely buy them if you made them :D Cute hair accessories, I can't find them anywhere locally. 

community-manager

• AnonMomAnonMom
    Those are cool @monkeymommy
    @CanadianMama I have been thinking about those too.. I just have to decide because I don't think I should do several craft projects and try to sell them.....or should I ?
    :-?
    why not? If you feel like you manage it, I say do it!!! And let me know when you're done, I'll be your first customer :D 

community-manager

• breezybreezy
    The booties are freakin adorable! .. there are really cool fancy tee shirt bracelets that I can't make but if you put on the newspaper beads it would be made from recycled materials. I know its gimicky but I eat that crap up :)
    I was thinking about the beads cause they are cheap and its up cycling so I thought that would appeal. I just thought the boots were cute and were appealing. But I also like the hair accessories.
    Try all three! 

community-manager

• OnmylastnerveOnmylastnerve
    @monkeymommy I would so buy those boots! My daughter has the fastest feet and I can't find shoes that will fit and stay on for the life of me!
    not my chair, not my problem
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
    Ok I have made two flower hair prices simple ones will post pics tomorrow I need honest feed back. :)
    No comments??  Really are they that bad?? I need feedback on what to improve
  • battibatti
    CUUUUTTEE EVERYONE! @monkeymommy I've always been into making crafts and jewelry, I had a website for a few months, didn't do so well lol, maybe I will try etsy.. I have boxes upon boxes of craft supplies, its sick lmao. I could make a ton if I turn all the stuff into art work :) good luck ladies, I hope well get a lil cash with our crafty talents!

SMSM_s_5

• AnonMomAnonMom
    Those are really cute @monkeymommy!!

@batti -- I have box upon box myself.  My DH is such a patient man.  His biggest wish at this point is that I would actually do something with the garage full of stuff I have.  Multiple reasons really -- extra cash, he believes in me and well, extra cash!  HA

And yes, good luck to all the ladies that are being creative! 
    %%-
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @monkeymommy I love those boots and have seen similar ones on Etsy! I think the headband would go over great with the baby crowd of customers, too! Headbands like that are popular, I see similar ones through Zulily.

I am on Etsy and peddle my wears when I get a chance to make them. I will warn you that it will take time to build a following there, but it's worth a shot and not that exspensive. I would also get my foot in the door with local craft fairs. In our area here in MD and back home in NJ craft fairs were popular fundraisers with schools and churches, just be wary of what they charge per spot and if you have to bring your own table, or if they charge you for a table and chair(s) in addition to a vendor fee.

Dry spells are very common as mamma troll mentioned, especially in this economy. I haven't made a sale yet this year, but I have a good size following, so it'll take time. Plus I'm busy with DS and pregnant, my ambiton levels have been a tad on the low side. ;-)

Good luck and let me know when you decide to start selling! I might be interested in some booties for DS on the way!
    "I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
    I LOVE THEM!!!! Pink and Lime green is my current favourite colour combination! And the white flower is beautiful!!! Let me know when you have them up for sale!

community-manager

Will do.. right now I am going to give one to my niece who is 7 and one to my cousin who has a little baby girl to try the durability out. the flowers are made from a cloth paper so I am not sure on durability yet.
  • battibatti
    @anonmom I'm lucky my hubby is so patient too, I've tried so many weird little projects and he always backs me up and gets me the supplies I need. Now I have a corner of the basement to store them and slowly sorting through it all. I'm borderlining on craft supply hoarder xD

SMSM_s_5

Something new I made What do you think?image
  • AKimiBAKimiB
    Pretty cute stuff, lady! If you get a site up, I will share. :)
    SMSM_s_5 photo SMSM_s_5_zps5d122d86.jpg
    How's this going @GlitterQueen?

community-manager

Not fantastic, I made some and have them in a shop here, but only made $6 in a month. I still have all the supplies so i don't know what I am going to do
    Put them on etsy!!!

community-manager

• KakabelKakabel
    @GlitterQueen  Etsy, facebook and twitter. better yet link facebook TO twitter so you can do all three at once.

Where are you located? there are craft shows and festivals around the summer, and TONS of craft shows in Nov./Dec.  Try some of the speciality baby shops, to see if they'll sell the headbands on commission. (Offer them $2/headband sell for 10 so you get 8 and they get somethign for "taking up space". ) ;)
  • KakabelKakabel
    That Dr. Pepper headband is cute.. but I'd be worried about the edges of the can cutting things.
    I am in Ks, etsy is expensive. and the can bow is more for adults than kids, i have some made out of beer cans too.
  • LoveLove
    Glitter...Etsy is 20 cents per listing, per month. How many bows you GOT girlfriend???

community-manager

I have more than a 100 some are doubles some are different..I am not sure how to handle etsy lol
    or maybe around 100 i think I need to recount and take inventory again

• LoveLove
    Let's see if we can sort out an economical way to use it!

I know that you can post up to (I think) 5 pix per listing. If you have, like, one design in several colors, you could get 5 different pictures on there for 1. (which I think you're technically not suppose to do it that way, but just to get them on there... You can put in the description line to specify which style/color.) That cuts your listing down to 20. Doubles, I'd skip posting duplicates of anything, starting out. So that would cut it down to $4 a month... IF there aren't a whole lot of variations...

community-manager

• LoveLove
    To show them off, I'd get a foam wig head or use a live model (like your kid), and take the pictures of all the different ones from the same angle, so people can see the variations.

community-manager

like this:

And you can put colours available on request in the description, you don't need a listing for each individual piece. 

community-manager

• LoveLove
    THERE you go!

community-manager

I will have to get some more pics together and contact you guys on what to do next :)
  • MarySunshineMarySunshine
    @glitterqueen How did you end up doing?

"I don't poop. I create magic."- ABC

I'm as sexy as a burp mid-kiss. Watch out!

For every loser there's one that has to win. So bite your tongue, grit your teeth and grin...
    I have some stuff in a consignment shop, I have only made about $30. But I still have lots of bows. Right now we are trying to buy this house we are under contract with, and half our stuff is packed. I may try to sell them in a garage sale. Etsy doesn't seem worth it for me, for what I am charging with shipping and costs I wouldn't make much. Thanks for asking!