Bedwetting
  • Anonymous
    My sons are 5 and 8 and both still wet the bed nightly. I use disposible diapers rather than goodnights on them. I think they fit better and are better at preventing leaks since both my boys are heavy wetters. Was curious as to the ages of other kids who wet the bed and what they wear to bed (diaper vs. goodnight). Also, is there a family history of bedwetting? In our family, DH was a bedwetter until he was 15. I bedwet until I was 10. According to the doctor, it is no surprise that our sons bedwet. Daughter is 3 and too soon to know if she's going to bedwet too, but I wouldn't be surprised if she did.
  • Anonymous
    Is this a medical condition or just laziness? I'm sincerely asking. My stepson is 5 1/2 and still wets the bed but his problem is pure laziness. He wakes up and decides he's not getting out of bed to go pee so he just pees the bed. Drives me nuts. He does this every single morning. We limit drinks at night and have even woken him in the middle of the night to go and yet never fails he's wet in the morning. He tries to hide it to by changing clothes but he leaves those wet clothes on the bathroom floor. (he's autistic so i'm sure that plays a part too)
  • Anonymous
    have you looked into allergies being a cause of bedwetting? I don't have links in front of me but I know that I have read about the connection before and allergies can be hereditary
  • Anonymous
    I'm watching this thread, sister, we're in the same pissy boat!! DH was a bed wetter until he was 13, so basically I have no hope.. :) We use goodnights. I can find coupons online pretty regularly... I never anticipated MY kid would wet the bed, it's so frustrating.
  • Anonymous
    Both my 4 & 5 year old wet the bed tooo! Mainly the older one. I can't take it!! They refuse to wear goodnights. The older one is so bad that we had to throw her mattress out. I'm so sick of washing bedding everyday when I have other things to wash. I used to think it was laziness but honestly I think it just happens????? I try really hard not to let them drink after 6pm or after super. SOmetimes just a small sip. Both of them peed my couches last week while taking a nap & the dog peed the floor 2x that day! It was a good day :) I can't wait till they stop this peeing thing. I do have a DR. next week and I'm gonna ask the dr. about. My MIL said it happened to her DD & the dr. put her on meds. and once she was done with the meds. it never happened again. But her DS shit his pants till he was 12...... So maybe it just ruins in the family?? Good Luck I feel you're pain!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    My 10 year old still wets the bed a few times per week. I had her on medication a few years ago. At that time she was wetting the bed about 5 days per week and the meds cut it to 2-3 even at the maximum dose. So we quit that. She wears Underjams. They are much more underwear like than goodnights or pull-ups are. I found that goodnights were WAY too tall. Who wants pee up to their navel?
    We've tried making sure she goes to the bathroom before bed, not drinking anything after a certain time, etc. and none of that has worked. Her dad wet the bed until he was about 10-11.

My son is 6 and has never had a bedwetting problem.

I can't stress enough how much I DO NOT think this is a "laziness" issue. That's what I call "old thinking" - like when my aunt used to rub my cousin's nose in her pee like a dog. I don't think ANY child does this on purpose. I would like to suggest to the first commenter that she and her husband look for more guidance on the issue because the boy is autistic. It makes me sad that he's trying to hide it from you.

Also, my daughter has severe allergies (every type of grass and tree!) and I have heard that can be a factor. Sleep apnea has been mentioned before as well.
  • Anonymous
    I wet the bed until age 11. My daughter is 3 and has been potty trained for a year but still wears diapers to bed, I'm sure she'll be a long-time bed wetter.

I have vivid memories of waking up and being so afraid of having to tell my mom that I wet the bed again. I remember trying to hide it, too. I hope my daughter never has to have memories like those, so I just view it as a laundry issue, a temporary one since no one bed wets till their 20 (do they?). I act like it's no big deal, and I plan on continuing to view it as no big deal as long as it goes on.

I haven't looked into the medications since she's still a little young, but I wonder what the possible side effects are?

I was extremely self-conscious of being a bed-wetter. I felt like there was something wrong with me, but I grew into a capable, confident, successful adult. All our bed-wetting kids will be ok :)
  • Anonymous
    My DD is almost 6 and still wetting the bed. She gets rashes from it a lot. I'm glad it's happening to other cause some people in my life make me feel like shit and a bad mom. They always questions me on it like it's very abnormal!!
  • Anonymous
    @102... I do not embarass him or punish him. dh doesn't either. his bio mom? well idk cuz I don't live with her thankfully. I've seen him wake up and I ask him do you need to go potty and he says no and at the point he is dry then in seconds he is soaking wet and grinning. That is laziness not a medical issue
  • Anonymous
    I have 5 kids. My oldest is 12 and never, not once, wet the bed.My second is 10 and has always wet! We finally tried an alarm last fall and it cut it down dramatically, but not completely. He was wetting a minimum of 6 nights a week and now its down to about twice a month. So, much better, but not complete. (any tips on cleaning a mattress btw? I usually keep a waterproof pad on it, but he wet a couple times without it) My third child, again, NEVER wet! My fourth (5) and fifth (3) were chronic wetters, but they wore pull ups. As soon as I put them both in underwear, it stopped almost completely. It's been 6 weeks and they have each only wet once. I am SO over all this pee though! UGH!!!!! At least I am finally free of diapers after 12 years though!
  • Anonymous
    I have 5 kids. My oldest is 12 and never, not once, wet the bed.My second is 10 and has always wet! We finally tried an alarm last fall and it cut it down dramatically, but not completely. He was wetting a minimum of 6 nights a week and now its down to about twice a month. So, much better, but not complete. (any tips on cleaning a mattress btw? I usually keep a waterproof pad on it, but he wet a couple times without it) My third child, again, NEVER wet! My fourth (5) and fifth (3) were chronic wetters, but they wore pull ups. As soon as I put them both in underwear, it stopped almost completely. It's been 6 weeks and they have each only wet once. I am SO over all this pee though! UGH!!!!! At least I am finally free of diapers after 12 years though!
  • Anonymous
    My eldest son is 11 and wets about 3 times a week; I limit his drinks, wake him up to go to the toilet when I go to bed and this helps (it was every night) but hasn't solved it completely. When he's going on overnight trips with Scouts etc he uses underjams so that he doesn't have to deal with any embarrassing situations. When he's home I don't make a big deal of it but ask him to put the bedding in the laundry basket so I know and can put fresh sheets on for him etc - that way he doesn't have to actually say to me he's wet because I know it bothers him. My daughter is 10 and has been clean and dry at night since the age of 3. My youngest son is 8 and at the moment wets pretty much every night so I'm following the same process with him as with my eldest. I remember wetting the bed right up until I was about 12/13 so I don't view it as a particular problem - it's an absolute pain to be constantly washing bedding and sometimes I just want to scream but they're not doing it on purpose so what can I say?
  • Anonymous
    First of all, I am shocked to read that some kids who still wet do not wear protection to bed at night. Outrageous. Why would you let a kid just pee in the bed, wake up wet and have to do all that laundry? That doesn't make sense. As for the mother of the 4 and 5 year olds who refuse to wear goodnights, you might want to remind them that they are 4 and 5 and YOU, not them, are in control. As I said in the original posts, my sons still wear diapers and I prefer those ove the goodnights. I think diapers work much better than the other products and if they "refuse" to wear goodnights, then put them in a diaper at night. 99.99% of kids don't wet their beds because they are lazy. There are a variety of reasons why kids wet the bed, but laziness is very rarely the reason. As for the mom with the autistic stepson, if he is wetting after he wakes up in the morning, it is not bedwetting, it is considered an accident. Since he is autistic, I would assume that his condition might be playing a role. I have an autistic nephew who is in his late teens now, but mentally and socially functions about 6-7 years younger. So when he was 10, he was still behaving like a 3 year old and the fact that he would wet or mess in his pants was related to his autism, not because he was a lazy 10 year old. Be kind to him. As for the poster who thinks that kids don't still wet when they're 20 - WRONG! My brother has been a lifelong bedwetter and I know others like him too. One of my cousins has a daughter who is 22 and still wetting the bed every night. Bedwetting does not know from age limits. It's not common for adults to wet the bed, but not unheard of either. When I look around and see all the various medical issues my children could possibly have, I thank the Lord that there issue is only bedwetting. A lot more serious things out there. As for the mom whose kids wet the couch while taking a nap, we are very conscious of the fact that our kids wet regularly. If they are going to take a nap, they get diapered. If we are going on a long car trip and they're probably going to fall asleep in the car, they get diapered. Because we don't make a big deal of it, neither do they and they are fine with being diapered. We've always done it so it's no big deal to them and nothing out of the ordinary. We discuss how much better off it is for them to wake up in the car when we arrive at our destination and they only have a wet diaper and not wet pants. That would be far worse. We then slip into a bathroom, remove their diaper and we go about our business. Be compassionate with your kids and don't make them feel as though there is something wrong with them.
  • Anonymous
    Ok I disagree. If a child PURPOSELY sits there and pees in his/her pants that is NOT an accident. That is pure laziness.
  • Anonymous
    If a child does wet or soil his or her pants on purpose, it is more than laziness. There is most likely an underlying emotional problem. Children who are abused will often wet or soil themselves. It is inidicative of something and should not be ignored.
  • Anonymous
    Both of our kids still wet the bed nightly. Daughter is 8 and son is 12 and we use cloth diapers on them with plastic pants at night. They're more absorbent, result in less leaks and they're eco-friendly. The only time I'll use disposible diapers is if we're on vacation and laundry facilities are not readily available or they're being diapered for a car ride/trip. Since they have wet every night of their lives and since dh and I have diapered them every night of their lives it's no big deal to them. It's just part of their every day routine. Kind of like brushing their teeth before bed. They're not teased or ridiculed or embarrassed. Bedwetting runs in our family. My dh and I were both bedwetters as were all of our siblings. In addition to our kids wetting, all of our neices and nephews, with the exception of one, are also bedwetters and their bedwetitng is handled the same way. It only becomes a big deal when people make it a big deal. It's really not a big deal after so many years and so many wet diapers. Of course it will be great when they stop wetting and we no long have to change them, but I think it's crazy to read parents complaining about wet diapers (especially when your child is like 4 or 5). Its part of parenting. There are much bigger issues and things to complain about.
  • Anonymous
    3 daughters and all 3 bedwet. They're 12, 9 and 6. The younger 2 wear diapers and the older one swittched to goodnights when she turned 10 (it was her request and we said OK). I've met a lot of other moms online who still have older kids in diapers due to bedwetting. We just generally feel that diapers work better. Not as uncommon as some people might think. People just don't tend to advertise that their 9 year old still wears diapers. We try and keep it private.
  • Anonymous
    Please be kind to these kids who are bed wetters. They need compassion and support. I was a bed wetter until around 12. I was constantly mortified. Once my mother threatened to tell my friends and I thought I would die of mortification. Just hug these kids. They will grow out of it.

Please also check the thread on sleep apena. Bed wetting is associated with sleep apnea. I strongly suspect I had childhood sleep apnea. This can cause a lot of problems for a child for concentration and learning. Simple test.

I wouldn't put a child over three in diapers. How humiliating. Get them some pull ups at least. Rubber sheets for the bed and a shower in the morning. Be kind to these kids. They have no control over what is happening while they sleep.
  • Anonymous
    If a child does wet or soil his or her pants on purpose, it is more than laziness. There is most likely an underlying emotional problem. Children who are abused will often wet or soil themselves. It is inidicative of something and should not be ignored.

This is absolutely correct. These issues happen for a reason. Either it is standard bed wetting, a medical issue or a psychological issue and none should be ignored.

Chronic constipation can cause kids to involuntarily soil their pants. The bowl is stretched and desensitized and leakage can occur. It is an embarrassing and uncontrolable problem for the child.

There is always a reason for these behaviors if it is anything more than standard issue childhood bed wetting. Be it medical or psychological, it should be promptly addressed.

No child is so lazy to intentionally soil themselves. Any kid over the age of four or five would be embarrassed. If they aren't embarrassed they are acting out and the issue should be addressed by their pediatrician and psychological counselling.
  • Anonymous
    I'm wondering if early toilet training leads to prolonged bed wetting.
    Some friends who completely toilet trained their kids by 2.5yrs are still having reoccurring bed wetting many years later. Whereas those of us who didn't push the issue have had very few problems. My DD was day toilet trained my 2.5yrs but still wore a nappy at night until about 4.5yrs and she has never wet the bed. We used nappies because pull-ups would leak and are too expensive and DD is quite small for her aged so goodnights were too big.
  • Anonymous
    Putting a child over 3 in diapers is humiliating? I strongly disagree. My dh and I have diapered our daughters with love, care and compassion. We have always made diapering a special time when we get to spend a few quiet moments with them. If you take a 9 year old that hasn't worn a diaper since she was 3 and all of a sudden diaper her, that's humiliating. Our daughters have worn diapers every day of their lives. Big difference. To them it's just part of their daily routine. And when I read about all the mothers on this board who are mean to their kids, wish they never had their kids, ignore their kids, can't stand their kids and are generally neglectful and abusive to their kids, don't you dare telll me that I'm wrong to be a loving, caring, compassionate and concerned mother who happens to diaper her kids because they bedwet. I'll match my parenting skills against yours any day of the week. Happy Mother's Day!
  • Anonymous
    "... I'll match my parenting skills against yours any day of the week. Happy Mother's Day!"

What a nasty post. I wrote that I did suffer the humilation of bed wetting and fully comprehend the mortification associated with it.

I know how I would have felt if my mother had subjected me to the horror of diapering a grade school kid. I know.

My god, what a nasty post. Perhaps the diaper saves you a little work but I doubt you comprehend the job it does on a young mind. Take just a moment and really put yourself in the mind of your nine year old for just a minute.

Get some underjams that look like underpants, a protective barrier for the bed and be kind to these children. Extra laundry and a quick shower in the morning is a small price to pay for the emotional welfare of your children.

No one said you were being a horrible mother. I just said it is very humiliating and emotionally damaging to diaper a child of that age. Good God, think back to those years and if your mother had done such a thing to you. I'm sure you are a great mother in other respects. You are just way off the mark here. Take some constructive critism from a fellow mother who has been in your daughter's shoes.
  • Anonymous
    I posted at 11:57 am and I'll not be returning to see any attempts to try to justify diapering a school age kid. So go at it if you want. There is no reason to diaper a kid that age except to save yourself some work if the underjams leak. It is humiliating for a child. You may have them going with the flow but what choice do they have. They will look back on these years and cringe.
  • Anonymous
    I am sorry that the manner in which your parents handled your bedwetting has left such emotional scars. I do not see any of that with my children. Did your parents diaper your or just let you sleep in a wet bed? As far as I am concerned, underjams, goodnights and pullups are just another form of diaper and none of them work as well. When you wake up in the morning wearing a soaked undergarment, it doesn't matter what you call it - - it is still basically a diaper. In case you didn't know, youth size disposible diapers, although not sold in retail stores generally, are sold on the internet. There is a market for them. These diapers cover the age span between the end of pampers and the start of adult sized diapers. Millions of children, teens and adults wear diapers due to bladder control issues or incontinence. If people weren't buying them, they wouldn't be manufacturing and selling them. If my daughters expressed any unease at diapering or bedwetting I would give them some counseling. If this is a lingering issue for you from your childhood, and it might be, you might want to consider the same. I don't think anyone here is looking for a ffight. We obviously just have a difference of opinion.
  • Anonymous
    My 12 year old son is a bedwetter. He wears goodnights to bed. The deal is if he stays dry for 30 consecutive nights he can stop wearing them. He was dry 25 mights but woke up wet this morning. Now we start counting from 1 again. That was the longest dry spell he's ever had. He was so close, but now we're back to square one. Bummer.
  • Anonymous
    Why are you making it a contest when it's not really something he can control?
  • Anonymous
    My 15 year old son still wets the bed every night. He wears pullups to bed now. Wore diapers when he was younger like some of the other moms mentioned. Just wondering how many other parents also have high school age kids who still bedwet. I'd like to think that my son is not the only one. He's been checked by doctors and nothing is medically wrong with him. He just doesn't seem to be able to control it. I don't think he's being lazy. He is concerned about what will happen if he still bedwets and it is time for him to go to college.
  • Anonymous
    Yours is not the only one. 14 year old daughter here. Never has had a dry night in her life.
  • Anonymous
    My husband is 1 of 6 brothes each of whom wet the bed until their teen years. These 6 brothers have fathered a total of 27 children. As shocking as this may sound, each child has been a bedwetter. It's just something that runs in the family. Some kids have only wet until they were 6 or 7, while others have wet into their college years. Being that it has been so prevelant, it's just something that we've all had to deal with whether it be our own kids or our nieces or nephews. No one is embarrassed or ashamed. The kids generally wear diapers through grade school and then switch to goodnights. Some of the older kids have actually opted to switch back to diapers because the goodnights were leaking too much and didn't provide enough protection. At that point, it was up to them to diaper themselves. The key to handling bedwetting is to not make a big deal out of it. Just make it a part of your everyday routine the same way you brush your teeth.
  • Anonymous
    DH and I have 4 kids and they're all bedwetters too. DH and I were both bedwetters and like some of the other posts here it seems to be hereditary. Doctor agrees. We have 2 boys 12 and 5 and daughters who are 10 and 7. All wear diapers to bed. None of them ever has a dry night. Depending on the night and whose getting the kids ready for bed, either DH or I do the diapering. We also change their diapers in the morning. They are not humiliated and I strongly disagree with the poster who said it's wrong for children over 3 to wear diapers. Obviously her kids don't bedwet. In our house, bedtime diapering is just part of the everyday routine. All of our kids are well adjusted socially in school, have great grades and are all around great kids. It's all about how special issues are handled and if you don't have kids who bedwet you won't understand. And by the way pullups and goodnights are just another form of diaper in case you didn't know. More expensive and less absorbent form of diapers.
  • Anonymous
    Was going to start a new thread and then I saw this one so I decided to revive it.  Glad to see there are other families with older children who still bedwet and wear diapers.  Thought my kids were the only ones.  I have 4 boys ages 8, 10 (twins) and 13 and all 4 of them wet nightly.  Each of them has always worn a diaper to bed every night of their lives.  That's how we handle the situation and we find that it works well for us.  Having grown up wearing diapers nightly, our boys don't find them a big deal or babyish.  As they grew, the diapers got larger.  We always emphasize how much better it is to wake up in a wet diaper than in a wet bed and soaked pajamas.  They're occasionally reminded of that fact when one of them falls asleep watching tv, without a diaper on, and wets his pants.  They think that's gross.  FYI - both my husband I bedwet into our teen years and both of us were also kept in diapers by our parents so this is something we have also experienced growing up ourselves so we know how our kids feel.  I think attitude is very important and my husband and I project a very positive one to our children.  We don't treat them like babies or make fun of them.  We handle diapering the same way we handle baths and other bedtime activities as just a normal everyday bedtime routine chore.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I just talked to my dr about this just to make sure & she said they don't even consider bedwetting to be abnormal until the child is 9. We put a pull up on all the kids before bed. Sometimes they stay dry, sometimes they pee through the pull up. Its no biggie. They aren't doing it on purpose...they are asleep!

Pooping in the pants is a whole different issue once potty trained. And that it what I am trying to get a handle on :-\
  • loveitloveit
    I don't have a bed wetter and don't understand it but I'm just wondering...how / why would u change an older child's diaper? 8 or 11 years old? I can't imagine laying them down for a "diaper change" especially if they are going through or have gone through puberty! Why can't they change their own diaper at that age? ....extremely curious on this one
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    Mine are 3, 4 & 6 and they put on their on pull ups & wipe up themselves in the morning.
  • NotSoSilentLurkerNotSoSilentLurker

DS7 still wears a pull-up every night  We spoke to his doctor and he assured us this is very common, about 25% of kids up to age 13 wet at least 4 nights  week (or someting simliar to those #'s ~ i don't have the exact figures memorized).  For him, he is just a REALLY heavy sleeper.  It is what it is;  DS5 has never wet the bed since being potty trained. 

I can't speak for others, but in our house, DS7 is responsible for all the putting on and cleaning up of his pull up all on his own... if we had to resort to diapers- I would teach him how to do it himself, but pull ups suffice fine for us at this point.

• Anonymous
    My kids wet the bed and I still diaper them too.  Even though they're older, I prefer to do it to know that they've done it right.  I've always done it so it's not big deal and they're used to the nighttime routine.  Yes, it might be strange to start diapering your 11 year old, but it's not strange if you've done it every night.  They're used to it and so am I.  I just want to make sure that it's done right and that they won't leak.  I'm also concerned that if they do it themselves, they'll just fall asleep and not do it and then I'm stuck dealing with diapering a sleeping child whose dead weight or leaving them undiapered knowing they're going to wet the bed.  Issues like this are hard to deal with and until you're in the situation, you can't fully understand it.  Only parents with bedwetters fully understand what it's like.
  • justheatherjustheather
    I am glad to have read this this morning ( of course the one morning he did not wet the bed). I have twins, dd stays dry but ds wets almost evey single night. He doesn't get into trouble at all unless he endevors to hide te evidence (yuck!) but sometimes it gets to be very frustrating.....
  • Anonymous
    re: 5.1/2 yr old wetting the bed writer says he is lazy as he just wakes up and wets the bed and goes back to sleep have you ever thought the child could be afraid to use the bathroom because of being afraid of the dark? this happened to us and we put a night light in the bedroom  and a potty and wow it done the trick no more wet beds !.later we put a night light in the passage and extended the cord in the bathroom  so she could put on the light many times we heard the light go on in the bathroom ok one of us had to get up to switch it off but the message got through and when she got older she would turn the light off herself! samewould apply to boys!
  • bobby
    As a child back in the 60's I had a bed wetting issue. It seemed to have started after my parents divorce that was quite emotional for me. Mom was having a hard time in life and certainly did not need the added stress of a bed wetting 6 yo. The washer was and old wringer type and the dryer was the clothes line. Imagine washing sheets, pajamas, underwear, bed pads, blankets etc everyday with this equipment. It was not long before she asked if I would be willing to wear a diaper. Of course no self respecting 6 year old would ever consider such,that is without a hard sell from mom.She explained how much work it was causing her and how uncomfortable it must be to be in a wet bed. She said I would be such a good boy and be such a help to mommy if I would only try a diaper for one night. It would be our little secret and NO one else would ever know. You can guess the rest of the story. a few years later I learned to diaper myself.
  • justkeepswimmingjustkeepswimming
    I have a child with bladder issues as well as regular bedwetting. The CHAD specialist told me that they have recently found a gene that usually "switches on" during toddlerhood and is responsible for flooding the brain with a urine suppressing hormone at night. Not everyone's does this during toddlerhood however, many kids go right into their teens, and a few into adulthood. She is totally against any measures used to awaken kids. Said just limit fluids after 5:30 and make sure they have sleep pants/night time pull ups. Also, other factors can exacerbate the issue, such as functional constipation, UTIs, bladder irritating foods and the like. Best to just see your doctor and discuss any worries with them.
    When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.
    ~Oscar Wilde
    Cat Kitty Love Hugs Smilie Smiley Smilies Smileys Emoticon Emoticons Animated Animation Animations Gif
  • mericksmom
    Dh and I were bed wetters.  Dh had a surgery for it I think and they had to cut something inside him....I think  one of the pipes was too narrow plus he was a deep sleeper. for me it was a phase I grew outta.  Deep sleeping whatever.   I was afraid my son was going to have our issues but his doesnt but has a friend who is.

His friends mom has them in sleep diapers and in counseling.  She is trying so hard to help but they dont know the reason why. It is hard having so many accidents and as a mom cleaning them up.  HUGS to you for this but you will find a solution and it eventually will go away.
  • GrainneGrainne
    We have a bedwretter. Plastic table cloth under the sheet (better than plastic sheets) limit liquids and just started using the goodnight bed mats LOVE THEM. No shaming no judgement and when has a dry night we tell him great work. He's a deep sleeper. He will be 5 soon. At some point he will stop we figure.
  • bluemom

Four of my six were bedwetters. I used the bedwetting alarms for two of them, they do work, but honestly were a bigger hassle than they were worth. They only cut the bedwetting down by about six months. My bedwetters started staying dry between ten and twelve years old. My two that don't wet began staying dry around three. My sister and my husbands brother were both bedwetters, it's definitely genetic. My oldest had a full medical workup at ten and there was nothing wrong. We just put plastic on all the beds, stocked up on small adult diapers(cheaper and don't leak) and worked really hard to not make them feel bad about it.

• stephaniew
    bedwetting runs in both my family as well as my husbands I wet till I was 12 my husband till he was 18 both of are teen boys are still wetting there beds and both are diapered every nite they have been wearing diapers every nite since birth I didn't wear diapers growing up but my husband did I sure wish I did I remember how bad my room smelled and how much sleep I didn't get always tired day after day my school worked suffered as well as my self esteem diapers are the way to go in are family
  • SickOfPregnancy
    Anonymous said:

I can't stress enough how much I DO NOT think this is a "laziness" issue. That's what I call "old thinking" - like when my aunt used to rub my cousin's nose in her pee like a dog. I don't think ANY child does this on purpose. 

When I was a child, I wet the bed and had accidents when I was awake on a regular basis. My mom was concerned, so she took me to a doctor who found no issue with me. So, she was under the impression it was my fault and I was just lazy, which was not the case at all. I was punished for it, which she's sorry about now, but she was told by a doctor it was likely my fault... because a 10-year-old enjoys wetting themselves!

I don't know what the problem was, but I just wouldn't wake up. If I was awake, I would just sort of leak. I wouldn't even feel the need to urinate, but if I laughed, it just came out of me, or sometimes I would get a VERY sudden, uncontrollable urge to go and couldn't get to a bathroom in time. It's embarrassing and not something anyone wants to deal with, so I completely agree that probably no child does it on purpose. 

Now that I'm older, I can hold my bladder for hours, but if I laugh REALLY hard or my husband tickles me (he knows about my problem and has done it on purpose before, that cheeky bastard!!) I will pee myself a bit. I can have just been to the bathroom and emptied my bladder, but if I laugh really hard, it happens. 
  • SuperMomx3SuperMomx3
    When I was a teenager I was sexually abused by family members that lived in the house, therefore I wet the bed because I was afraid to get up. With that all in the past I feel for my son who now wets the bed.  I know for a fact that he is not being abused, but I can kinda relate so he doesn't get punished when it happens.
  • luvmy2grlzluvmy2grlz
    Both of my DDs are bed wetters. DD6 has stayed in pull ups at night due to it and is wet daily. 
    DD10 has really good spurts (only 1-2 accidents a month) for quite a while and then has bad spurts too. She is now back to almost nightly and we are going back to pull ups for her as well. 
    My biggest issue with all of this is DD10 tries to hide it. She will tell us she didn't wet the bed and will hide her clothes and wait for her sheets to dry. Of course when we go tuck her in, the room STINKS. Or like this morning, DH discovered that she wet the bed last night as they were driving to daycare because she stunk up the whole truck :O :((
    I am at a loss - we have not shamed her, not punished her - all we ask is that if she has an accident she bring down her bedding and clothing right away in the morning so we can get it washed. And of course for her to take a shower. But she hides it and lies about it and that makes us SOOOOO angry! ~X(  Am I really expecting too much for a 10 yr old to do this? It's not as if she pees so little that she can't tell or is unsure. UGH! I keep trying to explain to her that she needs to be better about her cleanliness/hygiene as other kids are going to start making fun of her and not wanting to be around her. I don't know if she doesn't believe me or just doesn't care....

Any advice anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated - I don't have a whole lot of control over what happens in the house in the AM as I am at work before anyone else gets up. DH is there, but between getting himself and both girls ready and out of the house on time time is limited and he doesn't always get a chance to check their room.... 

Laura @};-
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.