Help! Quick dinners?!
  • farmmommyfarmmommy
    Ok, So my fiance works on a farm and has very unpredictable hours, so I rarely cook because I don't know when he will be home... 

So in short in need ideas of meals that i can cook that are quick/easy to heat

Thanks!!
  • farmmommyfarmmommy
    @lizzywizzy, I have one, but i have no idea what to cook in it lol
  • farmmommyfarmmommy
    awesome thanks!
  • melloyellow8182

Taco Soup..It's so so yummy and hella easy and quick..

2 cans red kidney beans

2 cans corn

1 large can of diced tomatos ( if you want it really spicy or to have onions or peppers you can use a can of rotel)

1 16 oz can tomato sauce or two 8oz cans

1 lb of ground beef

2 packets of taco seasoning mix

okay so the hardest thing in this recipe is literally browning the meat lol

pour all the canned items in a large pot dont drain though you need the juice from the veggies to create the soupiness

brown and drain beef and add it to veggies in pot

bring to a boil and stir in taco seasoning mix and salt and pepper to taste

and thats it..turn that sucker on low and let it cook until you're ready to eat..I leave mine about 20 minutes or so just so the beans are soft.

We serve it over fritos and top with shredded cheddar and sour cream

• melloyellow8182
    oh and you can always play with it a little and add or take out things you like..I gave my mom the recipe and she switches the kidney beans to black beans and adds shredded chicken or pork instead of beef and adds jalepenos..either way it's super easy
  • battibatti
    I was just looking up a pizza bake, I found an easy one at allrecipes.com:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/biscuit-pizza-bake/

I'm making it tonight, except with my own biscuit mix and without the ground beef.

And I agree with the others, my slow cooker is amazing :) my family loves the soups I make, they seem elaborate but they are SO EASY! Plus I make a huge pot of it and freeze the left overs, even EASIER the next time you eat it!
    I spice it up a little by serving 'matching' biscuits, for example, with baked potato soup, I add crumbled bacon and grated cheese to the biscuit dough (bisquik and milk), or cheddar bay biscuits with clam chowder etc.

SMSM_s_5

• farmmommyfarmmommy
    Bump
  • NeedMoreCoffee
    My fave: Italian crockpot chicken.
    3 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 package cream cheese
    2 packs dry italian dressing mix
    Package of chicken breasts
    Seriously... Throw it in together and cook and make pasta right before you eat (can be warmed easily later too). It's a hit at my house.
  • NeedMoreCoffee
    Also: BBQ crockpot chicken.
    Bottles of any BBQ sauce
    Package of chicken breasts
    Let it cook, and make with corn on the cob.
    I use frozen corn!!
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone

i love supercook.com. you put in what you have in the pantry and it tells you what recipies fit. i do this before grocery shopping when i have a hodge-podge of stuff and no idea how to put it together.

a couple of tried and trues for the crock pot at my house are:

bbq chicken

4 chicken breasts, about a cup of water, and some salt. let it get about half way done so eveyone fits nice and smother in BBQ sauce. let it simmer till chicken is cooked through. soetime i will then 'shred' it for sandwiches for the next day too.

chicken soup

cut your chicken up, all your veggies (i use carrots, celery, onion, and a little garlic) and put them in the crock. fill with water till every one is covered and you have a little space at the top. add salt and pepper. let cook about 4 hrs, add some parsly ad serve w/ bread.

roast -beef or pork

put your roast in (frozen or thawed) and cube potatos, carrots, and oions (i do atleast 3 b/c they cook down so much). add 2 cups of water. i the put salt peper onion and garlic powder and a pinch of peparika on the meat. depending on the size of your roast you can be done in as little as 3 hrs

i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • Anonymous
    I have nothing to add sadly, but just wanted to say BEST THREAD EVER!! Thanks for all the recipe websites ladies
  • Mommyliciousx4Mommyliciousx4
    Yamisetta (?)
    Egg noodles cooked,drained and mixed w a can or two of cream of chicken
    Ground beef, browned and drained, mixed w a can or two of tomato soup
    Layer of noodles, meat, then sliced cheese
    Alternate several times
    bake @ 350 til bubbly
  • OnmylastnerveOnmylastnerve
    I just copied the taco soup recipe, I have absolutely everything excited for tomorrow :)
    not my chair, not my problem
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Put chicken broth. Chicken breast,bell peppers onion and fajita seasoning in the crock pot. Yummy soup. Then I take the tortillas cut them in strips fry them in oil till brown sprinkle with onion powder and salt. Top on soup Dh loves it!
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Here is another.
    3 cups chicken or beef broth (depends on if you use chicken or beef for the meat ham is awesome too)
    1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    1 med onion chopped
    2 garlic cloves minced
    Your choice of meat.

Put in crock pot
  • sanityseekersanityseeker
    for the crock pot, seriously throw it in and let it cook it cooks so long that EVERYTHING tastes good
    I'll do a roast (beef or pork) whatever I have on hand
    a can of green enchilada sauce
    some chicken broth or even just water and season it well 
    let it cook all day shred it up and put it on tortillas with your choice of toppings. 
    my SIL does the same but makes her own green sauce with tomatillos and what not if you want to put in that effort let me know and I"ll get the recipe from her 

any kind of roast topped with BBQ sauce in the crock pot or even ribs

going to try to find the chicken pot pie recipe for the crock...you do the filling in the crock and finish it off in the crust in the oven....I've had a few so probably wont get to this tonight but if you'll remind me tomorrow I can find it for you!!!! 

portuguese beans
    soak pinto beans overnight
    drain and rinse put in crock,
    grill onions and linguica just a bit till you get some brown and some drippings in the pan
    add to beans 
    cover with water or broth and seasonings, including a bay leaf, a can or two of tomato paste 
    slow cook all day
    you can also add jalapenos or any kind of pepper you like to this to spice it up

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
    Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
    and spanish rice.....

slightly brown rice in olive oil then add tomato bullion and water cover and simmer like normal

for ex.

1 cup  white rice in 1-2 tbsp olive oil 
    cook stirring,  until toasty 
    add 2 cups water and 1 tbsp tomato bullion (or to taste I really just eye ball it)
    bring to boil turn heat down cover and simmer as per rice pkg directions
    "If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?" -Castiel
    "Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure.” -Dobby
  • GypsyMamaGypsyMama
    Sauerkraut and kielbasa: 1 can sauerkraut, 1 kielbasa sausage sliced, 1 small yellow onion choped, 2 T olive oil, 2 t caraway seed, 1 t garlic powder, 2 bay leaves, 1/4 t pepper, 1 c chicken broth. Cook onion in olive oil in skillet until translucent abt 5 min. Add all ingredients except sausage. Stir to combine. Simmer covered over low heat 15 min. Add sausage and dimmer covered for 15 min
  • motymoty

I love quick dinners! Thanks! Here are a few of my favs:

6-8 thin boneless pork chops

1 large onion

2 to 3 potatoes

1 bell pepper

Place pork chops in a 9x13 glass casserole dish.

Season the pork chops with salt/pepper, sprinkle some worchestershire(sp) sauce on the pork chops. Then slice the onion/pepper/potatoes and place them on top of the pork chops. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 mins. Then I take the foil off and just let it brown for a few mins, usually I'll throw in some canned biscuits while doing this. You can serve with some frozen corn on cob or with a salad or just with the bread/biscuits.

crock pot chicken

take one whole chicken and throw it in the crockpot. I put about 1/2 stick of butter in the cavity and some salt/pepper and seasoned salt, you can use whatever spices you like . Then I pour some coke or chicken broth in the crockpot for moisture and cook it on low most of the day. Serve with rice, salad, bread or frozen veggies.

• motymoty

We also love "pigs n' blankets" once in awhile for a quick dinner. Just take some cresent rolls and roll those hot dogs up and bake at 375 for about 10-15 mins, until cresent roll is done. I serve it with box mac n' cheese and chips/fries. Not the healthiest but it's good and quick and the kids love it. :)

A pkg of frozen chimichanga burritos 9*13 pan cover with red or green enchilaada sauce and foil 350-375 for 45-60 take foil off top with cheese til melted make spanish rice as side not real quick but easy and. Sooooooooko good
  • motymoty
    @eapple ^^ that sounds yummy! I want to try it!
  • NoMoreMonkeysNoMoreMonkeys
    I like to take a tube of pizza crust dough and lay it on a cookie sheet. Put whatever your favs are in the middle and fold it up. Ham and cheese is a big one here. But you can put anything in. it takes about 20 minutes to cook in the oven.

I also like to put together packets to put in the crock pot. Carrots, tators, onion, and beef/pork/chicken. I spend about one day a month putting together meals so when I am busy, they are ready to grab and go.
  • SAHDude
    A desert that is so easy I can do it. Not quick, as it takes an hour to bake.

Dump Cake, It is the best.

1- large can of Pineapple chunks, or a fresh one is best. Large chunks

2 reg size-can cherry pie filling 

1-pkg yellow cake mix

1 stick butter

Pecan halves

8x10 glass baking pan

oven at 350

NO Mixing-

Drain pineapple and place chunks in bottom of pan
    Pour Cherry filling over the pineapples, I always check for pits..1 1/2 cans may be enough
    pour cake mix over this and spread evenly over top, usually it is 3/4 of the bag.
    Slice cold butter into 1/4 inch pats.  place on top to cover totally.
    Place pecan halves on top evenly spaced out every couple of inches

Bake @350 for an hour.  Check it at 50 minutes.  At this time look for the pecans to start turning
    black.  1 hour is usually done for me, but I keep it in until they really start to go darker. An extra 10 minutes
    and check them every 2-3 minutes.  The slightly burnt flavor is really good. Discovered this by accident.

Let this cool for an hour at least, best served with Vanilla ice cream.  Refrigerate any leftover and it is great cold too.

EAT carefully if you do not check the cherries!  I always get the pit!
  •  Burritos:

1 pound ground beef
    1 can refried beans
    1 packet taco seasoning
    Flour tortillas

Brown ground beef.  Mix in beans, and taco seasoning to taste (I use 1/2 packet).
    Roll it up in the tortillas.  Add cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa - whatever you like - as you roll each one up.
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder

I make Tomato Basil Pork

4-5 boneless pork chops cut into cubes

1 can tomato basil soup (Progresso makes an awesome one)

1 medium onion

1 medium bell pepper

rice

Saute bell pepper, onion, and pork till pork is cooked through. Add tomato basil soup. Let it come to a bubble. Pour it over cooked rice. Done

For dessert you can do an old family recipe of ours called One Cup Peach Cobbler

1 cup flour

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1 can of peaches

Melt the butter, mix all ingredients, bake at 400 till golden brown.

You can substitue pretty much any canned fruit for the peaches to add variety. Cherries or any kind of berry is really yummy too.

• SAHDude
    Pizza Dough. 

If you have a bread maker this is so easy and a pizza can be made start to finish in an hour.

Sometimes
    We pre make the dough and refrigerate it covered or in a plastic bag the night before.

2 cups flour, All purpose
    2 T sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 T olive oil
    3/4-Cup warm water*
    1 tsp of SAF instant yeast 
    OR
    (use pkg of regular yeast & follow directions)

(We Double this basic recipe when we make pizzas)

In machine place in order and set to dough cycle.  
    After a few minutes, check it.  

*If it looks too dry-add water by 1 tbsp at a time.
    It should be sticky but slightly stay in a ball and slowly lose its shape.

It is ready to use after 20 minutes. But it can go for 3-4 hours, Just punch it down every so often,
    or cover in a bowl and put olive oil on top and cover and put in fridge

cut the dough into 4 pieces and form into balls, cover them as you work, on floured surface.

roll out dough and stretch it, let it rest and roll it some more, don't be in a hurry. Does not need to be
    perfect circle either.

TIP:
      PANKO BREAD CRUMBS
      sprinkle with bread crumbs, lightly roll these into crust and turn over so they are on the bottom.

I use a pizza peel and have a baking stone in the oven
    The bread crumbs allow the pizza to slide right off and they add a great crunch.

Put on sauce-not too much, less is better.
    Cover with your favorite toppings 
    Bake @ 425 for 12 minutes and check until crust is browned or cheese is browned.

I always pre cook the pepperonis in a pan to get a lot of the grease off of them.
    Roast garlic pieces in oven in small baking dish and a little olive oil. 30 minutes

Sauce- 2 small cans tomato sauce and 1 can tomato paste
    add in 1 T sugar, Herbs, Parm cheese, little red wine. Simmer
    Add what ever you want or use store bought.

Use hot pepper flakes on top of the sauce, under the cheese.

DW loves crust brushed with Olive oil -Goat Cheese and the roasted garlic.
    add some fresh rosemary leaves sprinkled about and bake it until crust is browned.

I love cooked- chunked chicken breast-diced red onion -bacon bites-BBQ/tomato sauce and cheese.

DD loves the dough rolled out, rectangle shape, cover with pepperoni and rolled up into a log.
    Bake for 12-15 minutes, slice into pieces. She is anti cheese.

You can make these rolls a couple days ahead of time and kept in fridge wrapped in cling wrap.

I usually make 2.  The extra one I slice into 1-1/2 inch slices.
    put olive oil in 8x10 glass baking dish and sprinkle tarragon, rosemary,basil & hot pepper flakes over oil.

Place cut pieces in dish, cut sides down,  drizzle pieces with olive oil.  Cover with  Grated Mozzarella cheese
    Bake this until cheese is browned.

We haven't had a pizza delivered in 25 years. 

Left over dough- put 2 T olive oil in 8 inch cake pan, place dough and spread it out with fingers
    for a thick crust. Put toppings on and half bake it.  Cover with foil and freeze it.
     When needed-Pop it out and place on cookie sheet add more cheese
    Bake at 400 for an hour