2.5 DS stopped napping all together
  • crazymama2twocrazymama2two
    Dear Mommies:  I shall slit my wrists now thank you very much.  Listen girls, I work from home.  It's not easy at-freakin-all.  The ONLY time I have to work is when my DS takes his afternoon nap and he naps anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.  OR if I have any energy left at night I"ll work but that is not often lately.  WHY OH WHY has my son stopped sleeping during the day AND when he goes to bed at 8pm, 830 he's up there in his crib talkign to himself until almost 10pm.  ISNT HE EXHAUSTED cause he always wakes up at 8am on the dot...is ANYONE else going through the suddenly not napping bullshit?  and how have you handled it?? i dont know what to do to get work done.  I gave him some books to keep him quiet but it's like theyre keeping him awake so after an hour i took them away and he's STILL FUCKING BANGING ON HIS CRIB WITH HIS FEET!!! i readjusted his goddamn blankets and shit and NOTHING...any hints??  thank you my loves...
  • Monkeynmoo
    I did with my ds2.5 but was consistent in maintaining a nap schedule and the no nap phase lasted all of three weeks. He is back to napping and will sleep2-3 hours again
  • anonymommy
    I have a DS 2.5 also and he's not napping for me either.  He'll nap at daycare sometimes, but at home, it's not happening.  He won't fucking sleep at night either.  I am worn out.  I don't know what is happening, but around 8:00 (bedtime is between 8:14-8:45), I would swear he's found a red bull stash or something because no matter how tired he's been all evening, he's suddenly running laps around the house and ready to go.  He's finally nodding off around 10:30-11:30.  It's killing me.  So, no advice here, just letting you know you're not alone.
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    is he sick? if my ds3 has even the smallest head cold he cant breath well and will stay up.
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • Monkeynmoo
    Anonymommy, when my two year old gets that second wind it means he has been up too late and is past tired... definitely not trying to tell you what your doing is wrong, just relating your situation to mine... try moving bed time a little earlier and see if that helps.
  • anonymommy
    @newmomof2 and @Four_Winds, you're both probably right.  I try, but the problem is that I don't get home from work until 6, DH at 6:30, we usually don't get through with dinner until 7-7:30 and the night is gone before I can even catch my breath.  DH is out of town for work this week and it's just me and the little man while I'm trying to finish getting ready for a trial, so our usual chaos is stepped up quite a few notches. 

:
  • anonymommy
    @Four_Winds  It's exhausting!  I feel like our nights are such a whirlwind.  I always think it sounds like a good idea to cook a lot on the weekend and then just heat it up through the week, but we have so much to catch up on over the weekend that that never seems to happen either.  I do need to get some crock pot recipes together though.  That would be a huge help.  I do the same thing as far as giving ds something to eat while I'm cooking.  A lot of times it's leftovers from the night before when I didn't have dinner ready before he decided he was starving to death.  I'm hoping once I get past this trial I can start getting home a little earlier, at least for a while, but I'm not holding my breath.  There's always something at work. 

I just need to win the lottery.  Would solve so much...if only you could win without actually buying the tickets because I never seem to remember to do that. 
    :-</span>
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    @Four_Winds i prep my crock pot on sunday, so its ready to go monday morning. atleast one meal a week is ready to go lol
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • Monkeynmoo
    Anonymommy, do you have a crock pot? There are some great recipes you can use your crock pot for or maybe fix him something simple when you get home that way he is fed shortly after you get home. We run into that a lot too but my son isn't a dinner eater so a hot dog or a cheese burrito works for him most nights.
  • anonymommy
    I do have a crock pot. I just need to get my act together and get some recipes pulled before I go shopping. When it does occur to me to just throw something in there, I never have anything crock pot-able.
  • anonymommy
    And I'm such a bad morning person that I would have to get it together the night before or it wouldn't happen.
  • GrainneGrainne
    We had to give up naps with our twins at 2.5 because if they did nap it was a horror show at night up until 10/11 pm and driving us crazy. No naps means they sleep better and quicker at night for us. Still have odd nights where they are up late but not too bad they are 4 now. I used to struggle in evening with getting home and dinner etc but used my crockpot and them recently got into once a month cooking and freezer meals and life has gotten SO much easier. I also have an oven with delay start so will take one of the frozen meals out put I oven in an set it to start cooking at 4 til 5 then ready when we walk into the house. Big batch freezer cooking is not as hard as it sounds and I LOVE it as its made such a difference
    Umm my discussion got hijacked. I work at home so the idea of no more naps is killing my mind. The only time I get to work is when he's napping so im about to lose my mind. Idk how I would handle the change cause idk what else I can change??!!??
  • anonymommy
    I'm sorry @crazymama2two!!!
  • anonymommy
    On weekends when DS won't nap, we do still make him gave quiet time for at least an hour. He can lay in our bed and watch a movie, doesn't have to sleep but he does have to be quiet. Sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he doesn't, but it gives us a little bit of peace.
  • anonymommy
    *have
  • GritsGrits
    @crazymama2two, my DD3 stopped napping at about that age, too. I don't mind it too much, because it does help her fall asleep faster at night. Would it help if you woke him up a little earlier? On the days when DD gets up earlier than usual, she'd flagging out by around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We've gotten used to her not napping, and I kind of prefer it that way now. But I don't work from home so I can see how that would be frustrating if that's the only quiet time you have during the day.

If he won't nap, is there something else he could do that would entertain him while you work? I know they're messy, but playdoh and finger paints always kept mine busy for HOURS...I just put down a bunch of newspaper or an old sheet and turned them loose if I had something I needed to do. Hugs and best wishes to you! 2.5 is a tough age...independence is a big deal to toddlers! Hope it gets better soon!!!
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
    I just came back from th library and got some audio books. Hea going in his crib and having quiet time today and I know he's safe. I also ole him up this am. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the ideas :)
  • anonymommy
    How did it go today?
    hey, thanks for asking...it went - meh-like.  the audio books just kept him awake so in the end after about two hours of talking to himself and listening to the books and kicking his crib (at least he didnt scream for me) i went up there, said okay, no more books.  do you want a pop?  yes.  i said then if you tkae a nap right this second you can get a pop.  fuck me if the kid didnt go right to sleep.  im POSTIIVE it was cuase it was 300pm and he was tired but shit, ill do that every day.  i woke his ass up at 430 and he was pissed but then remembered his pop so he snapped out of it...and today he goes to his grandmothe'rs house so i wont have to deal with the nap time and i get to work in PEACE!!!! and then staurday DH has to work AGAIN :(  so i have to deal with him again...the DH has worked 14 days in a row and i think that's why im so over the edge too cause ive had no break.  he's good with DS and shares in shit so im just tired of dealing wiht it :)
  • SouthernButterflySouthernButterfly
    Okay, I don't know WHY my post was deleted, but I don't like it. As I said in the earlier post. Have you tried giving him a dose of Benadryl at naptime? My son had a stint like this where he didn't want to nap, and we gave him a dose at naptime for a few days, after that, he was completely back on schedule. Going down and getting up at the same time everyday. If nothing else works, give this a shot.
    oh benadryl backfires on me -- i dont care if people judge me on trying that shit :)  hes at his grandma's this afternoon and i used the pop bribe again. we'll see what happens LOL  i hope it's a short phase cause im burned out :)
  • anonymommy
    I hope it works out!  I really wish bribery worked on my kid, but he's not having it :(

Awww idk he slept at his grandmothers house. We shall see tomorrow :) hugs to you my friend