Books for 2 Year Old Girls
  • DemandaDemanda
    Hello ladies...

So, I have to go to this birthday party for my friend's twins in a couple weeks.  I asked her what they wanted and all she said was, "Oh, clothes or books."  Okay.  So, I don't want to get them clothes, that's no fun for them. Then I realized I don't have any clue what kinds of books girls this age would like, and that I'm really quite clueless when it comes to girls.  My son - I've been buying him monster books since as long as I can remember.  I don't want to scare these kids - mine has always been a bit of a creep.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't want to ask a salesclerk because I hate soliciting their help.  (just one of my quirks)  I'm a bit of a literary snob, so if you know of any really cool or amazing books, I'd love to hear about them.  I don't want any instructional books...but inspirational, or poetry, or something with amazing artwork...that sort of thing. 

Anyone?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • DemandaDemanda
    I should add, I don't necessarily mean they have to be "girly" books, just that what I buy my son is normally sort of macabre, and I don't think I should do that here.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • farmmommyfarmmommy
    My niece LOVES elmo,or rather Abby Kadabby... any princess book really
  • CrashCrash
    Stranger in the Woods.

It sounds kind of creepy, actually. Lol.

No, it's an awesome book about deer and snowmen.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • CrashCrash
    Also, any of the Robert Munsch books, my kids *love love love* Robert Munsch.
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • AKimiBAKimiB
    Oh, dude... (<~ I know, juvenile right? Lol :P ) I go to Target ($1 section) and load up on all books (they even have classics in paperback for the parents to read to the kids), Dollar Tree is also a good place for many toddler stories, very age appropriate.
    SMSM_s_5 photo SMSM_s_5_zps5d122d86.jpg
  • TypoFaeryTypoFaery
    SkippyJon Jones books were/are my girls favs mine are 10 and 3( one of my favs too. I love them ) , those and Fancy Nancy books. Or any of the interactive character books where they have to push a button and make a sound during the story. My youngest loves the Dora ones of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Nancy-Jane-OConnor/dp/0060542098/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328128359&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Skippyjon-Jones-Judy-Schachner/dp/0142404039/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328128387&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Dora-Explorer-Choo-Play---Sound/dp/078538278X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328128409&sr=1-9
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • DemandaDemanda
    @AKimiB - dude, I totally use that term myself.  

These suggestions are awesome, thank you guys!  I knew I could count on my Scary Mommies!

@mammateeroll - I miss that too!  Except now he has to read to me every night for school, and that's kind of nice as well.
  • Julie Andrews has a series of girls books put now as well.  
  • DemandaDemanda
    you mean Mary Poppins Julie Andrews, @survivormom?  I adore her.
  • SammieSammie
    Eric Carle books!!! They are always a hit. Also anything by Sandra Boynton. Both of these authors have books in sets that are perfect for gift giving. I've seen them at all the major bookstores and Target.

community-manager

• yes,@MommyDearest Mary Poppins Julie Andrews!! If I am correct her daughter wrote them with her
  • etherieletheriel

Definitely Eric Carle.

My kids LOVED The Monster at the End of This Book. It's a Sesame Street book starring Grover and it is so cute! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_at_the_End_of_This_Book:_Starring_Lovable,_Furry_Old_Grover

One of my favorites is Ghost Eats it All by Janee Trasler. Hilarious! http://books.google.com/books/about/Ghost_Eats_It_All.html?id=4H2HPQAACAAJ

If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • TypoFaeryTypoFaery
    OMG @etheriel I forgot about that, we read it like 5 times a day! My neice always used to crack up at "Do you know you are very strong"
  • DemandaDemanda
    @etheriel - I  have that Grover book!  It was from when my younger sibs were kids, and I took it from my Mom's when I found out I was pregnant with him!  @TypoFaery just brought back a memory I had totally forgotten about - my ex-husband does a killer Grover impression and he'd read it in that voice.
    Ah, "Do you know you are very strong," I can hear it now...
  • CanadianMamaCanadianMama
    Dr. Seuss books are Rylees favorites. She loves the rhyming.

community-manager