what do you know about sewing??
  • battibatti
    So. I just got my grandma's vintage singer sewing machine. My mom had it, and last time she used it was to make me a quilt when I was 2. I've been interested in sewing (well, making cool things, in general) forever, but have never used a sewing machine. Dh got it running, I've practiced a little with it. It's in great condition except I don't have the things to do different stitches, so I can only do straight stitches for now.

So my question ladies, is what tips, sites, simple projects, ideas, etc can you share with me?? Pics of your own projects/machines STRONGLY encouraged :)

SMSM_s_5

• DemandaDemanda
    I can make scrunchies and pillows.   :D
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • battibatti
    @mommydearest oh I got pillows DOWN lol!! I saw a scrunchie pattern, didn't try it yet. I used to sew all kinds of things by hand, I made skirts out of my old jeans and stuff, now I have a real machine and I feel like a cave woman trying to figure this shit out!

SMSM_s_5

• I got my first machine for Xmas so I'm looking. I found a lot of videos on YouTube about everything to do with sewing.
  • DemandaDemanda
    wait, I made curtains once too.  Basically, what I'm saying is, I can sew seams and nothing else.  
    @batti, I know I keep telling you this but you should try pinterest for some inspiration...
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • BeerWenchBeerWench
    I take my stuff to someone that sews better than me. I did take a class when I was about 9 and vividly remember making a red parachute material purse with rainbow straps.

I think I just aged myself - damn
    :¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•** She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten**•-:¦:-•:*'""*:• -:¦:-
  • shate98shate98
    I sew. I had an old machine but upgraded for a new one that's mid-range. It does zippers and buttons and stuff.

I don't know if these links will work but here are two sets of costumes I made:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=650260654&ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?fbid=10150943062965655&set=a.10150943062640655.771693.650260654&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315082780654.346045.650260654&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=315104260654&set=a.315082780654.346045.650260654&type=3&theater

I make everything, including the hats. IF I don't know how to do something I go to youtube. Otherwise I just go by trial and error.
    "As you wander through your life, whatever be your goal,
    keep your eye upon the doughnut, not upon the hole."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    I did a stuffed animal when I first started really simple, take like an old towel or something, fold in half and cut a basic animal shape out. sew together except a little section about an inch. Turn it inside out or what not so seams are inside. stuff with old pillow stuffing. Use permanent marker for face or buttons.
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    http://www.allfreesewing.com//?s_kwcid=TC|24868|simple%20sewing%20projects||S|p|14277004916&utm_source=google&utm_medium=lwingcpc&utm_campaign=allfreesewing

• nurseli
    There are a ton of websites out there on sewing and really creative blogs. I mainly quilt. But check out: Moda bake shop, sew mama sew, film in the fridge, Oh franson, Ana Maria Horner, jay bird quilts, Amy butler, and make life sweet. There are also a ton of ideas on Flickr. For fabrics, try: fat quarter shop, or Hawthorne threads. Find your local quilt/fabric shop. Most offer classes on more than just quilt making. And have fun!
  • Ashdawn684Ashdawn684
    Make sure and keep your old machine oiled and use that canned air to blow out around the bobbin every time you see. If you use thick material, like denim or a towel like someone suggested make sure and go slow and don't pull the material it can cause the machine to jump timing. Just a couple of handy tips I worked at a singer dealer for a long time, and we repaired and serviced all of the old ones.:)
    ~Live life to the fullest, or die trying~
  • TypoFaeryTypoFaery
    I make gothic clothes and ren fair stuff so I love to sew. Planning on learning how to bone a corset soon. What I started with was simple McCalls patterns you can buy at Joanns or even Walmart. . Like making little girl dresses or halloween costumes, then work up from there to making your own patterns. Before you know it you will be making shirts and skirts and all kinds of cool things :) here are some pics, these were all super easy. Just takes practice. :)

Bodice I made, super easy to do can send you the directions

imageimage

Dress I made for a friend for halloween

Bloomers I made for a friends pirate wedding

• GingersnapGingersnap
    I can talk to you more about Singer sewing machines specifically. I learned on one and my mother and I still use them. My mom might have more information about how to get the cams for the special stitches and the buttonhole attachment, but I find I can make buttonholes but using just a little stitch width, shortening the stitch length and changing needle positions. Mom always uses the special attachment - I cheat. 

I have been sewing since I was a teen *but* I'm no professional. My advice is to start with projects that require almost entirely straight seams, and use mid-weight non-slippery materials. Bulky materials can be a pain to work on, and satin is an effing nightmare for a beginner. Cut your patterns carefully and don't underestimate the power of basting. Watch where your pins are as you sew and slow down so you don't hit them with your needle. A dull needle will absolutely mess with your project. Shoulder seams are difficult. Just accept that you will need a lot of practice to master them - you are not deficient - you probably did cut the pattern out right. 

I made my son a Rapunzel costume for Halloween 2011. It's not very faithful to the movie costume, but neither were the licensed costumes in the Halloween departments. 

“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • battibatti
    AWESOME ladies!!! Thank you everyone for sharing all of this!
    @typofaery YES I would love directions, I love it!

SMSM_s_5

• TypoFaeryTypoFaery
    @gingersnap Oh Gods SATIN!! My friend needed a bridesmaid dress made and she wanted it all in red satin... I still have nightmares about it...

@batti I will PM them to you.
  • Anonymous
    There are some really great books that have super simple projects and instructions with patterns too that are perfect for beginners and straight stitch machines. 

These are all great! I have the Chic and Simple one and it is easy as pie! I have read through the First Sew Serendipity and it is just as cool, so I bet the one about bags is good too. They give really good regular person instructions and once you start to get the hang of things you will be able to understand the more difficult instructions in a pattern. I say they are difficult, but they aren't really they just use terms that are more common to the industry and not always known by a beginner going it alone. 
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    What I know about sewing is this... my grandma can do it...that is all
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    @TypoFaery - she couldn't have known the pain she was inflicting. lol  I remember the first formal dress I made - pale orchid. I had no idea what I was getting into. I am so glad I hand basted. And hand basted. And hand basted. That cursed hemline took forever!
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell