#142115 How to make laundry soap
  • becky2183becky2183
    1/3 bar Fels Naptha or Zote bar soap
    1/2 cup washing soda (Arm and Hammer)
    1 cup Borax powder
     *2 quart pot
    * Large 5 gallon bucket
         Grate soap into pot and add 6 cups cold water. Put on stove with low heat or flame. Stir until it is melted.
         When it is melted pour the washing soda and borax and stir. It will thicken up. Remove from heat.
         Pour 4 cups hot water into bucket. Add soap mixture and stir.
         Add one gallon, plus 6 cups cold water, and stir.
         Let it sit for 24 hours, it will gel. When ready to use, just stir again and use a 1/2 cup at a time.

• momofeveryonemomofeveryone
    nice!!!! man i wish i had space for this....
    i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • crazymama2twocrazymama2two
    I love this. I need to print it out. How many loads do u get out of this?? I'm awfully excited about this!!!
  • crazymama2twocrazymama2two
    Are u mocking me and my lack of math skills?! Lol I know I suck :)
  • becky2183becky2183
    I make it about once a month. We have 4 kids and my husband goes through clothes the most. I love it! I am sensitive to perfumes and such in the store bought stuff. I haven't felt itchy since switching. Sorry if that seems like to much info, but I'm happier in my clothes now.
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    what is Fels Naptha or Zote bar soap? will any soap work
  • SunSeRay
    Fels Naptha & Zote can be found in the laundry section, they are commonly used for stains zote is pink and fels naphtha is yellow. I make powder not liquid. 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing powder and 1 bar fels naphtha. I store it in a jar, it's pretty. I use a coffee scoop, I get about 40 loads.
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Okay I just have never seen that soap before. I have seen other recipes for laundry soap where it says to pick your favorite soap and then grate it or shave it into small pieces. I didn't know it mattered what kind of soap. I told my DH i was going to do this and he asked if I was insane.
  • becky2183becky2183
    The last time I made some was the middle of December. It lasts a long time. I've thought about switching to the powder. It can be stored in a smaller container. Seems more praactical.
  • becky2183becky2183
    I guess I should add that I just mde some today. My mom thinks it is ridiculous, but we like it!a
  • doublemommy
    I use a POWDER version: (Less mess, less hassle)
    1 bar Fels-Naptha, Zote or whatever kind of laundry soap bar you can find
    1 box Super Washing Soda (55oz)
    1 box Borax (76oz)
    Grate bar with cheese grater (do not reuse on food). Dump it all in a bag (I use a trash bag). Close bag. Mix it around by "massaging" with hands. Dump into containers. Use a coffee scoop (or 1/8 cup) per regular load. Less for less... more for more.

I actually make this and it works great. I gave it out as gifts last Christmas to the family and THEY are addicted. My sister uses it for the baby's clothes, too and she loves it. My MIL uses it for her dog's blankets (pee, poo, and doggie smells? EWWW!) and comes out super-clean every time! If you like SCENTED clothes, use a fabric softener, because it has NO fragrance, but I like that. 
  • LoveLove
    I have yet to find a recipe that includes any kind of freakin soap I can FIND around here! LOL

Our Walmart carries Borax, but no powdered, flaked, or bar, soap in the laundry aisle.
    Can you use Ivory body soap, or something?

(I have to order the washing soda, they don't sell it in the store here either!)

community-manager

• LoveLove
    I found Zote on Walmart.com! Problem solved! LOL

Eta: Buuuuuuuuuuutt it's not available. Not carried in the store, and will not ship. That sucks ass, why the hell not? Can you use it in bomb-making or some shit????

community-manager

• PhDMommyPhDMommy
    @Love you can use Ivory.  I've never made it but I know several people who do.  Here's one the uses Ivory :)
    Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • PhDMommyPhDMommy
    Oh and washing soda is also called soda ash (sodium carbonate)
    Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • LoveLove
    Thanks @PhDMommy !

community-manager

• GingersnapGingersnap
    We use ivory soap. I go by weight rather than volume - 1 part grated soap, 2 parts borax, 2 parts washing soda. 1 T for a front-loading washer. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • 4kstillalive
    I love the original recipe, i've tossed in baking soda when i had kids at home and laundry was worse,,I'm making a batch this week. I like that I'm set for a few months on soap.  All those bottles lined up in the basement..:) I love feeling stocked up.
  • doublemommy
    I have actually seen people use Ivory or ANY kind of bar BATH soap. On one site, it said you CAN use your favorite bar soap. So... why not? It goes down the bath tub drain? Why not use it in the washer?

Just for other info:
    Do not use "baking soda" instead of "washing soda". Not the same thing! But, adding it in, as an extra, is a-okay.
  • 4kstillalive

@love, if you check most sites, they say you can use your favorite soap. I've made it with just about everything, bbworks, stuff from the drug store,, it's the base stuff that gets your clothes clean. The washing soda and borax. I'm on a bucket of it tomorrow~~

• Monkeynmoo
    Is this ok to use on he washers?
  • doublemommy

newmomof2 said:

Is this ok to use on he washers?

Yes. It is VERY VERY low sudsing, which is the difference between regular and HE detergent.