Home birth vs. hospital
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Im trying to decide on whether to have a home birth or hospital birth. My last pregnancy ended in a C-section and was a horrific experience. I want a Vbac, natural birth this time, but most hospitals won't do them in Las Vegas. There are only two hospitals that allow them and both a pretty far from my house.

Has anyone here done a home birth? I'm really thinking about it but am a little scared to squat in my living room lol.

Any info would be great.
  • StillTryingStillTrying
    I was hospital birth all the way so I can't offer any insight on home births, but I am curious why the hospital won't do a vbac?

Would a hospital birth with a midwife be an option?
  • Still_ur_mommy
    I'm nOt sure why they won't do them. When I told my dr I wanted to do natural he just said "well Vegas doesn't do that. Only two hospitals allow them. We schedul your c-section on your due date. If you go into labor before that you can always just refuse the surgery." he seemed ok with me trying but not much help to make it happen. So I went and met a midwife. She was all for it but when I asked if I could do a birthing center she told me there are none in Nevada. My options are fight in a hospital or do it at home.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Can I ask why the c-section was done to begin with? If you do a home birth get a midwife someone needs to be there in case something dangerous happens to you or baby. Giving birth is the most dangerous life threatening thing a woman does. Just be cautious.
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Yes, the midwife is fully certified and is a real midwife plus she has a doctor she works with who will do all my ultrasounds and is on call for any emergency incase I do need to go to the hospital.

I would never have a home birth without a certified professional with me.

My question is has anyone had a home birth and what was it like?
  • GlitterQueen GlitterQueen
    Oh i am sorry I misunderstood. I have not I don't know if anyone here has.
  • shadylaneshadylane
    This reminds me, I keep meaning to look up the article about the home birth advocate that just died during her own home birth. That is crazy.
    ~slim shady~
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone

the navada doesnt do it issue- navada has one of the countries highest malpractice costs, and the OBs are insainly high. im not surprised your having trouble finding a dr to do the Vbac, the can have complications.

if i were you, first thing is contact your health insurance provider and see what they cover. if they cover a cert. nurse midwife, your in luck! go meet with a few and have them evaluate you. if they feel comfortable doing a home birth, your in luck again.

how long since your last birth? what was the reason for the c-section in the first place? had the placenta attached to the front of your womb and near the scar? these are things that will be considered. your health and safety and the babies is paramount. if all the Drs and NMW say no, its for your health and the babies so dont be too sad.

if they say yes, be ready for a mess!!! lol!! one of my gf did a home birth and it was great, she had a fast delivery and a 6lbs even little girl. she rented a pool/tub and had it filled with water in the livingroom to labor in. she has a NMW and a doula and her DH and sister. it was cool!

i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Thank you anyway GlitterQueen. I don't know anyone either lol.
  • Still_ur_mommy
    My last birth will be over 6 years ago and 7 years ago when this baby is born and my dr and the midwife said I'm perfectly capable of having a successful Vbac. My last pregnancy I had an epidural and patosin (sp) which put stress on my son.
    good news then! if your insurace covers it and the local hospital knows your doing this, then go for it. you hvae your own washer and dryer right? ;) my gf had laundry for a few days after lol.

and also see in the insurance covers a birthing tub, you can hook the hose to your sink tap to fill it so the water isnt cold. i'll give my gf a buzz tomarrow and see if she has any suggestions or web sites, she did this about 2 years a go now.

• Still_ur_mommy
    My insurance will cover everything except the midwife, but surprisingly her fee is only $3000.

She did mention it is messy and also I have to dispose of the after birth myself. She suggested having it made into pills that I can take, plant a tree on it, or just throw it away.
  • Still_ur_mommy
    That would be awesome! I can use any info I can get.
    will do ma'ma :D  and i thinkn your getting out cheaper then i am next week lol. im 38 weeks.
  • SouthernButterflySouthernButterfly

First of all go and visit http://blog.ican-online.org/tag/vbac/ They are dedicated to helping women have the birth they want. Also I suggest watching my friend Cami's video about her C-Section versus her Vbac http://youtu.be/_TZyTH3-R2o She was so traumatized by her first birth, that she became a trained doula. The video is beautiful. We are TTC number two and I plan on having a Vbac come hell or high water. Advocate for yourself, and speak to a doula. Remember ultimately, it's YOUR birth and YOUR choice, no one else's.

• I'm all for your want of a home birth after c section. If its been longer than two years since your surgery, you're good!
    Good for you! Your birthing experience is yours. Make it how you want!!
    (statistically speaking, it's safer to deliver at home with a certified nurse midwife than at a hospital. Due to the high amount of unnessicary interventions that lead to unfortunate outcomes)

If you are looking for a midwife, check out some facebook pages and post your situation on their wall, they WILL get back to you.
    Facebook has amazing resources.
    I recommend:
    Midwifery Today (awesome resource, my mom is on their)
    Birth Without Fear
    Las Vegas Doula
    Jodi Theplacenta lady (she lives in Vegas)
    The Feminest Breeder
    The leaky B@@b

You can always message me or find me on my blog, The Chronicles of Motherhood. I'm on Facebook too.
    I am a lactation educator and am beginning my certification to become a midwife assistant. My mom is a midwife too. I'll ask her and get back to you.

Here's to YOUR best birth!!!!
    @Still_ur_mommy my gf is gonna make an account and pm you. she said she just googled homebirth and read everything and watched some on youtube. when she was ready to go with it, she had dh watch a few vids too. good luck!!!