Two things ticking me off
  • i_am_a_thunderbirdi_am_a_thunderbird
    I had the occasion to write two stories for the newspaper I work for (this week actually) about two issues that are causing me some alarm......It's sad that this kind of stuff is going on.

1. A father is pissed at the school (and school board) his 9-year-old daughter goes to because his daughter is being physically abused/bullied by a 9-year-old boy and his 5-year-old brother. They beat her up at school and the 5-year-old made his hand into the shape of a gun, pointed it at her and said, "I'm going to kill you." The school has suspended the kids for two days each time an incident occurs and that's the extent of their dealing with the issue. The father is scared his little girl is going to get hurt even worse. He offered her to change schools but she doesn't want to because she loves the school, her friends and her teachers, despite the fact that NO ONE is protecting her from the violence she is incurring at the hands of this boy and his brother.

2. A colleague of mine has a 16-year-old daughter in high school. One day, during the life studies class, the teacher decides to say that she believes homosexuals and pedophiles are one in the same. She said homosexuals basically become pedophiles later in life. This teacher has been at the school for years. My colleague's daughter was horrified by the comment and tried to approach the vice-principal, who basically told her she didn't have time for her. When she finally did make time, the VPs answer was simply "I'll talk to the teacher....she's been here for longer than most of us and she's a good teacher."

My colleague's daughter is sick about all of this and she feels she is fighting a losing battle.

I can't believe these two incidents. It makes me sick to my stomach. It makes me terrified to send DS3 to school because of just how fucked everything is.
  • Oh my god!!!

Both of these make my blood boil!!!!!!

I say take that mother load national.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    We had a similar situation to story 1 when our son was in 1st grade.  He would come home saying that a couple boys that rode his bus were threatening to kill him and talking about what guns they were going to use.  Called the bus garage first.  Bus driver said she would talk to the kids.  Happened again.  Called the school and spoke with the principal.  She said she would investigate.  Upon investigation she came to the conclusion that the boys (not mine) were pretending they were playing a video game.  Not cool.  Luckily we were only in that place for a couple months longer!
    @AnonMom - Wow, that's scary.

In the case of the father, the school board just kept telling me they were dealing with it through their zero tolerance bullying policy and they didn't want to expel either child because that would only damage THEM.

We're talking about a 9-year-old BOY beating on a 9-year-old GIRL here. And roping his 5-year-old brother in too.

I said to the school board spokesperson that there is no way your policy is ZERO tolerance if this boy keeps attacking this girl with little consequence. The spokeperson just kept towing the line for the board. Disgusting.

So, what's it going to take???? It's going to take that little girl coming home with broken bones or god forbid, even worse, before they take it seriously and do something.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    The second story pisses me off in today's society.  There is no scientific or statistic out there that says gays and lesbians become pedophiles.  Most stories we hear about it's a married man.....hmmmmm....or married woman!  No gay or lesbian tendencies there......Now if you're talking about man to boy...nope, still don't know of any scientific or statistic info to back that one up.  I'd start something and begin to raise holy hell on this one.  Bring it even more into the public's eye.  School board meetings, etc.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    The dad can actually file a report with the police it it's been dealt with at the school to no avail.  Abuse is abuse no matter how old the perpetrator is.  If the school is not doing anything about it, then the police will.  That boy can be charged with criminal acts. 
    @AnonMom - Nope, not here he can't. He's under 12.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Then her dad can file a civil suit against the school for neglect and the parents of the boys for the same.
  • Oh my goodness, these stories are so saddening! No wonder you're upset! About problem number one, sometimes a parent just has to step up and do what's in the child's best interest. He needs to be the parent and pull her from the school anyway. It's for her own good and safety.
    Regarding the teacher in the school, I just cannot fathom this. I cannot understand the lack of reaction from the school administration! Perhaps someone could file a complaint with their local school board representative and a full investigation will take place. I still say contact the press, however. That is horrific!
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Even saying he'll talk to an attorney may change the tune of the school.  I feel so horrible for that little girl. 
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    (She is the press @ApronAbby!!)
    @ApronAbby - Thing is, the little girl has said that if she leaves her school, the bully wins. So she's also standing up for herself by staying.
  • @Anonmom Oh, I didn't read that part. Goodness, I'm so goofy this morning.
    @i_am_thunderbird That is a noble thing to do. I hope she stays out of danger.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    We like goofy around here!!
  • This is a daily issue in my life, @Anonmom. I'm so out there. Sorry!  8-}
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Post the number to the school and we can all take turns calling demanding answers? Just an idea?
  • Oh that sounds like a great idea! The OP may be breaking a privacy clause is she did that, however.
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Not if we don't mention names and just question their zero policy. Talk about vague details, possibly mention questions regarding a 9 yr old girl vs. 9 yr old boy & brother.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    She wrote an article for the paper she writes for.  If she wanted to divulge which paper it was, we could find the info ourselves....
  • Still_ur_mommy
    Exactly, we could call and say something along the lines "we are mothers and we feel that it is our job to protect our children. We have reason to question you zero policy. Please take the time to review it because we come in numbers"

I don't know, there are plenty of awesome writers on here who could write us a statement to read. That way they know we are a group.
  • NinLee
    Those stories are so sad. Story no 1 sounds like my kids first primary school. They also had a "zero tolerance" towards bulling. I came to the conclusion that it was a "do zero to bullies" policy. They just buried their heads in the sand, and made excuses as to why nothing was ever done to the kids running the show. Within a space of 2 years that school went from having 750 students down to about 400 (my kids were amongst those who changed schools). Parents felt like they had no other choice because nothing was ever done. And the teachers who tried their best to sort problems out never had the backing from the principle. That school lost many good teachers, and they have a problem keeping teachers. My son had 3 teachers in 1st grade - the first two left because of the principle's lack of action to address problems. The only teachers who actually stayed were the ones with the same attitude as the idiot principle, and the one's who couldn't be bothered either way (I don't know why they became teachers?)
    Here's the info:

Ecole Nouvel Horizon

613 632-8718

The school board is
    Le Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (CEPEO. They are French, but speak English as well.

The info to call the board is 1-888-33CEPEO

The school board rep for our area is Gilles Fournier.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Fantastic info @i_am_thunderbird!!  Thank you!
  • Still_ur_mommy
    I'm calling tomorrow morning. Who is with me?
    Wow, you guys are awesome.

Just to be clear, that school is the one the nine-year-old girl goes to.

The other issue with the homophobe teacher is a different school altogether.
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    Maybe post a link to the article so people can read it first before cold calling a school about a situation you know very little about ??
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...

Okay @AloneOverseas - I was somewhat trying to protect my identity, but whatever.
    I posted the gist of it up there. I wrote the damn story so I know the issue quite well.

I posted the gist of it up there. I wrote the damn story so I know the issue quite well.

Yes, I have no doubt you know the issue well. But not those who may call. If I were calling I would want something to reference, not just a thread on a message board. :)
    Hence why I posted a link above. Thanks. :)
  • AnonUser35
    I am not one to condone violence, but maybe it is time for the girl's father to teach her how to throw a right hook or a quick knee to the groin area. Sounds like that may be the only way to put a stop to that nonsense!
  • ProudPalsyMamma
    Calling tomorrow!
    Doesn't sound as though the parents of the bully have been spoken to. ??
    @Kim - The little girl is in karate but the kid is literally twice her size.

And the teacher is NOT being punished.