Going to events with kids
  • So we were supposed to meet some friends at the zoo (Rainforest) today for a Princess / Frog event. DD5 is excited. Friends had to cancel last night (sick) and she still wants to go. I don't. Am I the only mom out there that REALLY doesn't like these things?  Like the entire idea of going just is giving me a headache. I have a ton of homework to do, my sink is full of dishes. I tried to talk her out of it, "you have to wash your hair you know!" and still no go. Shit....wwwwaaaahhhhhhhhh. Makes me feel like a horrible mom.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    What time is the zoo thing?  How long of an event is it?
  • kmetz44kmetz44
    I hear ya...I always have a million other things Id rather be doing than going to the park, going outside watching them play...Ive never been a "kid person" so the tea parties, cars, trucks, trains things are sooo not what Im into.  Especially when they want to gooutside, where I just sit there becuase I cant run around (not that I would really want to anyways) but Im thinking of the bajillion other things I could be doing.  I do like the zoo though but its mostly because I love animals, but i do HATE the prep work that goes into outings like that...for me its do I have cups, wipes, diapers, extra clothes, first aid kit, money, keys, phone, hand sanitizer, stroller, blankie, ect
    Im pretty extraordinary in an ordinary way
  • It's 3 hours. But we are running an hour late. Lol. And - I think @kmetz44 is right. It's the prep work. I mean - get your ass in wash your hair and stop telling me No!!

I did call and invite a friend. She doesn't have kids but adores me. And she's a professor - so flexible schedule. Gonna but the bullet.
  • But - bite.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    I think seeing your daughter all excited will make it worth while...in the end!!
  • Pppffftttt. Now that I found a grown up to go with and made plans - she's sitting in front of the spongebob movie refusing to go. Brat!!!!!
  • meandmy243meandmy243
    I rarely do anything with my boys cause the refuse to listen.. They know they are missing out. We tell them the plabs fir the day and what we are going to do everytime they dont listen they lose something fun.. We have even gotten a babysitter and did the fun stuff with out them.. We have also taken them and walked them out as soon as we got there. Its a school holiday.. I dont want ny kids home they are not listening... I gave then a talj the otherday about the difference between hearing and listening and they did a whole lot of hearing and very little listening..
    let them eat cake! because id rather have pie!!!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    For me, it's the whole production that happens when it is "time to get ready". We have several nominations for Best Actor in a Drama! They are most uncooperative & then when I try to get dressed, "Moooommm, come ooonnnnnn! Let's gooooo!" Can I just throw some clothes on that aren't covered in your little boy grossness please?
  • Koala82Koala82
    I hear ya @LivinTheDream I am so not the out and about mommy that loves doing it. I've taken my boys to the zoo but that was for a birthday and I had a few adults around to help out! Thank goodness! I do occasionally go to the park at the mother in law's neighborhood as its a lot better than the one we have. Oh and come summer we go to Grandma's for swimming but the hassle of getting ready is awful and trying to remember everything to bring. I always end up forgetting something in the bustle of it.
  • AnonholeMomAnonholeMom
    kmetz44 said:

I hear ya...I always have a million other things Id rather be doing than going to the park, going outside watching them play...Ive never been a "kid person" so the tea parties, cars, trucks, trains things are sooo not what Im into.  Especially when they want to gooutside, where I just sit there becuase I cant run around (not that I would really want to anyways) but Im thinking of the bajillion other things I could be doing.  I do like the zoo though but its mostly because I love animals, but i do HATE the prep work that goes into outings like that...for me its do I have cups, wipes, diapers, extra clothes, first aid kit, money, keys, phone, hand sanitizer, stroller, blankie, ect

Thank you for saying this.  You just made me feel normal.

So much of my day is wasted playing "supervisor" making sure the kids don't get hurt or into trouble.  I'm always hating myself for not wanting to get up and be Mary Popins, inventor of awesome sauce kid games and best-est play buddy EVER.  I can't summon up the "give a shit" to hold play food and dishes up to my face pretending it's delicious--but so many other moms do.  (Or claim to?) 

I tell myself I'll be a great mom of an older kid.  Talking? Reasoning? Hell yeah!  Playdough and hide-n-seek?  Bleck.
  • DemandaDemanda
    lizzwizzy said:

Totally feel you biatches......up one side and down the other!!!!!!
    As a mom of older kids now. .....take heed, there is a light at the end of the soul sucking tunnel.........it gets easier and the kid events are a whole hell of a lot more fun in a few years.......few more for you constant pro-creating breed mares, tho :D

@lizzwizzy - Word.  Yep.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • @lizzwizzy - I have a teen and her shit is easy.

Ok, so we went to the stupid fucking zoo....it was a DISASTER!!! First of all, our zoo let's everyone in the COUNTY in for free on Mondays, but that usually doesn't include special events. Yeah, except this ONE. (DD has sensory issues - remember that!). My grown up friend shows up (she has no kids, single, etc.) we stand in line, in 34 degree weather, for almost a half an hour to get into the stupid event!!!!! So, yeah that is how crowded it is. Skinny blond bitch in yoga pants in front of me? Yeah, she can fuck right off with her snotty looks when DD said hi to her kid. And, did I mention I totally forgot to put vodka in my coffee before we left??

So, we get in. Come walking around the corner - and who do we run into?? A mommy from DD's preschool....to whom I had said "Yeah, we should go! Text me and we'll figure it out!" She didn't text - so here I am with single, childless, little crazy friend (that's dating a 22 year old in her mid-30s - bitch) and mother of a 7 and 5 year old - and 6 months pregnant. Awkward!!!

The place was packed, DD (both) overwhelmed, people shoving, crafts running out, not even GETTING to do anything. Fucking disaster. DD finally said "I want to go home!"

Ok, but on a good note - did get a chance to go off on someone (didn't shank them - but considered it). End of event (3 hours long) in line at the bathroom. Screaming kids everywhere. Little girl 4-5 years old leans away from her mom to peek around the corner (see how long the line was or something)...mom GRABS this little girl by both arms and SLAMS her against the wall. Like I heard the kids head snap back!!! I went OFF!!!!! "Look, I know that you are really frustrated. But, take your f'ing hand OFF of that child before I contact the police. THAT is not a way to deal with children. She didn't take off, she wasn't in danger, and now you slam her head against a tile wall????" Mom then gave me the "well, I had to get her up earlier than usual to get here, and she's tired." (event - 10AM, even if you had to drive an hour, that is only 9 AM that you had to be ready. Not easy, but not THIS bad). And, she's tired. Good, then love her and understand....I let it go, and she kept her hands to herself. Poor little girl scooted along the floor against the wall sniffling.
  • So, in summary - that is why we DON'T go to the zoo on Mondays. Reminded myself...
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    Note to self.  Sounds like an important note to remember!!

Sorry it turned out shitty!  Shoulda let here watch Spongebob!
  • I know...wish I had. Damn crazy! And, it was 36 but sunny, which may have contributed to the overall chaos. And a holiday...Ugh.