Any Paleo/Primal mommies here?
  • QueenOfSwordsQueenOfSwords
    I've been following a fairly strict primal diet for over a year now. (Primal is a less hard-core version of Paleo.) Basically, I eat meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruits and nuts. No bread, no pasta, hardly any sugar. I do occasionally have sweet or white potatoes, or a little bit of white rice. My big indulgence is alcohol, which I'm trying to cut down on!

I'm almost 49, and I've been able to maintain a weight of 110 lbs. eating this way, plus my arthritis and chronic heartburn went away. Just completely disappeared. Plus the energy is amazing....and my hair, my skin, my sleep...I could go on and on about the benefits.

Just wondering if there are any others here?
  • I have recently googled it and loved the concept. 
  • MissEMissE
    I'm primal! My DH and I have been for about a year now. It makes me feel wonderful too. Alcohol has always been a tough one to cut out. I just have one or two glasses of wine on the weekend. Red wine is the better option when it comes to alcohol, of course none is best.
  • thormom
    Here! We're hardcore healthy on most fronts. I'm glad I'm not the only crunchyish one here. ;)
    Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Pretty much everyone in my real life thinks I'm nuts, except for my 19 yr. old daughter, who is mostly primal too. (She lost 15 lbs. on it.) Family and friends constantly ask me what my secret is, but then when I tell them they say, "Oh, I could never give up bread." It's funny, I was a HUGE bread and cereal eater and I don't even miss it anymore.

My sister is forever complaining about her weight, but she insists she doesn't have the willpower to go primal. I explained that the cravings go away after a few weeks, but she won't even try it. Oh well.

Now that I've got the way of eating down, I want to try to incorporate some of the other primal aspects, like fitness, sunlight, etc. How is everyone doing in those areas?
  • MissEMissE
    I laughed when I read your post. Everyone I recommend the diet to says "I could never give up bread!" It does seem hard to do, but now that I've made that change I don't even think about it. Spaghetti was my favorite meal, but I don't have cravings for it anymore. My DH and I play around with different recipes to make meals that are like non-paleo ones. Fitness is one major area I need to work on. We always say we're going to start walking everyday, but then one of us is too tired or the weather is crappy. It's starting to warm up here, so I think we can take advantage of that and get outside more. 
  • Ashdawn684Ashdawn684
    That is something I have never heard of but would definitely be more interested in finding out more information
    ~Live life to the fullest, or die trying~
    @Ashdawn684, the best place to start is Mark's Daily Apple. Mark Sisson is the guy who coined the term "primal" and wrote a book called The Primal Blueprint. There's a ton of info on his site, plus a huge, active forum.

Plus, I know quite a bit at this point, and I'd be happy to answer any questions. 
  • monstamomonstamo
    Does it help with your energy level? Mt chubby self needs help b/c I am tired all of the time and my diet is shitty.
  • monstamomonstamo
    Okay, I just purchased the e-book and this makes sense to me. Looking forward to having some oomph again, thanks @QueenOfSwords
    @monstamo, just give it 30 days. I promise you, after 30 days you'll feel amazing, have a ton of energy, will have lost a few pounds, and won't be craving starchy carbs anymore. Your energy level will be much steadier through out the day, no crazy surges and dips. With my old way of eating, I used to get so hungry my hands would shake, and that never happens anymore!

With the Primal Blueprint, he says to shoot for 80/20. That means you try to adhere to the plan 100%, but accept that you'll probably fall short about 20% of the time and that's okay. For me, my 20% is usually restaurant meals. I like to eat out once a week or so, and I know I can't be picky about certain ingredients in sauces or dressings, so I just don't sweat it.

I'm starting a blog about primal living, I'll post the link when it's up and running. Good luck!
  • monstamomonstamo
    I had to bump this one because I am pretty excited. I have been eating primal for 5 whopping days. I have tried vegan, juicing and almost every diet under the sun. Still covered in baby weight for 3 years (165 last week, I am 5'4.

This morning, after a few days of carb withdrawal, I am down 5 pounds (probably water weight, but I'll still claim it) and today is the day before my period starts. I feel great, am recovering energy and I am NOT HUNGRY at all!
  • ProudPalsyMamma
    You can make noodles from a squash it's called spaghetti squash I think and it's real stringy on the inside and then if you eat meat you can put chicken or whatever on it and throw some tomato juice and seasoning on top it's really yummy
    @monstamo, that's great! Keep it up. Make sure you're getting plenty of good fats, like avocado, olive oil, coconut milk. Those will help you keep satisfied and your body will start burning the fat for energy. If you're trying to lose weight, just take it easy on the nuts and fruit. it's easy to go overboard with those.

@TiredSAHMamma, yes! Spaghetti squash is delicious, especially if you're missing pasta. I also love roasted cauliflower. I use it as a pasta substitute under my own homemade meat sauce.
  • PurpleFlowersPurpleFlowers
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting. I am like most people though and think i cant live without breads. I may try it though. I am obese , have bad arthritis and im tired all the time
    Stay away from my chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

I think I like who I am becoming...
  • forkinthehead
    I feel like such a ninny. I have never heard of this. I read this thread yesterday and went to the website that was suggested. I have to admit sounds interesting. I am diabetic- no meds or insulin yet. I am however doing my best by diet so I don't have to go onto meds. In my diet it consists mostly of veggies and very little protein or carbs. It's like eating dirt and grass. I'm more of a carnivore than herbavore. I suppose I should check ADA as far as the meat goes. They'll probably tell me it will raise my blood sugar to fast. I'd love to try this!
  • monstamomonstamo
    Next day, still feel amazing, I figured out what to eat when I am at work, in case of emergency (I work in a sports bar) and am amazed at the energy I have. I hid my scale for this week.

After reading up on the subject and watching the documentary "Fathead" on Netflix, I am positive that Ms @QueenOfSwords has pointed me in the right direction. Not just for the weight loss benefits, but for my overall health.
  • momofeveryonemomofeveryone

will sooo look into this after my 6 week post partum check up, sounds cool!

i want a nap. and some chocolate. who's with me?!