Crap my kid has head lice HELP!!
  • AnonUser34
    My DD10 school called a hour ago but never left a message so when my DH goes to pick her up he asked them what was going on..

Come to find out a kid in her class has had head lice for two weeks and has been going to school TWO WEEKS!!!!
    When my DH checked her head he said she has the beginning stages of it but I haven't check yet.. Has anyone been thur this what do I do what should I buy? I've never dealt with this before.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    Rid and wash every damn thing. There's a package of Rid that comes with a spray for mattresses and carpet. Friggin sanitize everything. Those sumbitches are hard to get rid of completely, but Dawn dishwashing liquid kills them on surfaces and in bedding.
  • AnonUser34
    Thank you @CanadianMama I'll go thur it
    Thanks @MammaTeeRoll I'll PM @gingersnap
  • GingersnapGingersnap

lice? sucks.

tea tree oil in olive oil or hair conditioner in everybody's hair. go to walmart and get flea combs, they won't tear up the kid's heads.  wash all your clothes in warm-to-hot water, and put in hot dryer minimum 20 minutes.vaccum everything every day. flea products have the same active ingredient as lice stuff (pyrethan or something like that) come in bigger bottles, and are cheaper. spray the furniture. every week for 3-4 weeks. anything that can't be washed, seal in garbage bags and do not touch or open for 2 and 1/2 weeks. get the straight tea tree oil @ the health food store (about 10 bucks) and dose for everybody (with conditioner or olive oil) is about 20 drops. unless they have long hair. past shoulder length, 30 drops. down to the butt, 40 drops.

wash the kids hair, pile on the conditioner, and comb with flea comb. lice combs don't work, and tear  their scalps. flea combs work better & have round tips. comb everyday or every couple of days for 3-4 weeks (because the eggs take 2 weeks to hatch). wash bedding at least every week. be vigilant for about a month and a half.

been through this--ex boyfriend had 3 kids, 2 in soccer, one in brownies, my 2 had activities, and they all went to different schools, they lived with their mom, and we had them every other weekend. if they visit with another parent or grandparent, you have to tell them, or everybody gets re-infected. keep the flea combs. dogs & cats won't get them, birds can.

about 9 years ago they just exploded here, we hadn't had a freeze in over 3 years, they were everywhere AND drug resistant. so anything you got at the pharmacy/grocery store was worthless. between 5 kids, 2 houses, 3 schools, plus the kids' activities, it was murder. i remember going to the grocery store one day and seeing a big fat louse on the handle of the cart! it was awful.

oh--and treat everyone a 2nd & possibly a third time (every 2 weeks) whether you think you need it or not. i've also heard that mayonaise suffocates them, but i have no experience with that.
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • AnonUser34
    Oh crap @LA_PygmyHerder I'm freaking out now..
  • GingersnapGingersnap
    Thanks for remembering I got it archived on the computer. @MamaTeeRoll, was that everything you have to say on the matter?
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    Don't Katrina, it is a managable issue, but a pain in the ass
  • AloneOverseasAloneOverseas
    It is a huge problem here! I've been through it countless times. So annoying, gross and frustating! special combs are great, but your own fingers are better. Yes, ewww, I know! There are many products out there, just be sure to read labels. Do not fall for the 'color your kids hair' or 'use dog flea products', etc. those things are harmful!

Specialty shampoos for lice on people only, or even loading up conditioner or mayo on the head for a good thirty minutes helps, but will not kill eggs. The conditioner/mayo trick is to help loosen the glue so the critters can be more easily removed. But if any are missed, it does not kill them. Only specialty lice treatments ypthat state they kill the eggs.

You will need to check everyone in the household daily for at least a week. Might be best to treat everyone right away, your call. Strip bedding, wash and put in a hot dryer. The heat will kill any eggs that may have been on the bedding. Vacuum floors. Might be worth it to vacuum your car as well ... and any other furniture (couches) your child was on (in case of transfer).

Yes, it is a real pain in the ass and a bit of work to be sure it's gone. I've also been told putting a bit of tea tree oil in the shampoo bottle will help prevent a reinfestation. Not sure if that is true or not, but it does smell bad! Lol
    I love purple; I love cats. Imagine if cats were purple ...
  • 4kstillalive

I used to work in a family literacy program and did head checks on kids every Monday. *Sigh.

Spring clean, wash everything, blankets,coats, carseat covers, hats, gloves, mittens, vacuum everything and run to the Drug store for a nit kit. Some parents swore by oil in the hair for a few days, not sure that worked. Also had some say Suave coconut shampoo kept them at bay during school years.

Call your local CPS, they give kits out if you qualify, they can be expensive.

Nits look like little/tiny pieces of white rice STUCK on a hair shaft,if you run your finger along it and it doesn't move, you've got a nit.

Don't be horrified, it's common with kids in school, not the end of the world, a pain in the ass for sure but it'll be ok!!

• AnonUser34
    I just checked my head looks like I have it too #-o Is it ok to go to work with it and send her to school? Thank you@Ginersnap
    No, not until you are both treated. If any have hatched and you get close enough to another person, you could spread the problem. Treat first, then you can go back to work and your child to school.
  • AnonUser34
    Thanks@AloneOverseas my DS is 2 and it doesn't look like he has it is it ok to use the shampoo on him?
    Yes, the special shampoo is fine. Once you are treated following the directions on the product, then going out is ok. You just want to be sure you are not contributing to the spread because it can go on and on and on if left untreated.
  • Ugh. My head itches. Sucks. >:D<
  • mamagonecrazy
    Do the special shampoo to kill and then the Mayo. The Mayo is nasty to wash off, but after my kid had it off and on for six MONTHS,yes months, the pediatrician had me do the Mayo and literally it was gone within 48 hours. Now whenever I even hear the mention of lice all three kids get a Mayo wash immediately! Good luck-there is nothing worse than lice!
  • anonymommy
    I was just told last weekend that schools around here are going to stop treating it as a communicable disease and stop sending kids home because some of them are out so much with it that they're literally getting no schooling.  Makes my head itch thinking about it....
  • AnonUser34
    @mamagonecrazy I'm so doing the Mayo thing do you just put it on the scalp and around the hair lines and leave it in for 30min? @LivinTheDream the moment I heard the word lise I felt like there were bugs crawling all over me :-SS
  • Is it ironic that they were??? Omfg. My head ITCHES!!!! You 3:-O

o=>
  • AnonUser34
    @anonymommy that's messed up I'm 29 and this is the first time for me I was told that most of my DD class has it theres a lot of parents freaking out right now :((
  • serenitynowserenitynow

my kids have had it 3 times. i usually get the treatment kit from walmart (equate brand) or RID (but it's pricey). what i do is treat their hair, comb it out with the special comb. then about 2 days later, i comb through their hair again. but instead of using the expensive treatment junk, regular dollar store conditioner (like suave, white rain or vo5) works the best cuz it's so thin. then i wait about 3 or 4 more days, depending on how bad it was, and comb it again with the conditioner. usually it's gone by then but i just do it to be on the safe side.

if you comb it through the 1st time and don't find any bugs, it's still gonna be there. you can't have nits without a bug, so there's gotta be at least 1 or 2 roaming around. it's a pain in the ass...on the bright side though, lice are attracted to CLEAN hair, so at least you know your kids have clean hair!

• AnonUser34
    Do I comb her head first before I shampoo?
    @LivinTheDream the fucked up thing is I brushed her hair this morning and didn't see anything but there right behide her ears..
  • Oh!! Coconut suave shampoo after you get her tested. That's what pediatrician, nurses and preschool teachers use.

Now stop tagging me!! My head itches.
  • mamagonecrazy
    Yes put on her head, wrap it with Saran or a plastic grocery bag and leave on for thirty minutes. You will have to help rinse it and be prepared for the smell...bleh! Then I combed it with a fine tooth comb several times.
  • AnonUser34
    So after I wash her hair when it's wet put the conditioner in leave it for 30 min before and after it gets rinse comb it out?
    Sorry if I'm asking the same thing over again lol my DS2 is all over me while I'm checking my phone and cleaning and dealing with DD... #-o
  • anonymommy
    @Katrina...it is messed up!  DS is only 2 1/2, so hopefully I have a while and they'll change their minds, but he goes to daycare so I'm not totally in the clear. 
  • AnonUser34
    @LivinTheDream >:) Tag your it!!
  • Bitch. 3:-O
  • AnonUser34
    Now that I've slowed down a little bit read thur what everyone has posted I think I got it thanks for the help guys..
  • AnonUser34
  • I'm ignoring you jack off. b-(
  • stinkersmommystinkersmommy
    @katrina one more thing take all stuffed animals that can't be washed (electronic ones whatever) place them in black trash bags and leave them for at least two weeks to suffocate the lil buggers and if it still dropping below freezing at nite stick them in the garage or on the porch it will kill em faster
  • KellynnKellynn
    I've used any type of oil, such as vegetable, olive, etc, drenched the hair completely, wrapped the hair up in a plastic sack and let them sleep with that on all night. I think it smothers the lice and eggs, then just do what everybody else suggested as far as combing out and washing everything. It's worked every time for me. Only hard part is getting rid of a greasy head, lol.
  • AnonUser34
    I freaked out a little bit.. but I got them out of my DD's hair now I'm acting like a crazy lady cleaning my house top to bottom and I've put a ton of things in garbage bags lol.