Running laps as punishment
  • tampabaymom

Last Updated: Thursday, February 23, 2012 LAKELAND -- 
    Alabama authorities say a 9-year-old girl died after relatives forced her to run laps around her home.

Her biological mother lives in Lakeland.

Officials say Savannah Hardin's step-mother and grandmother forced her to run for three hours in Etowa County.

They were allegedly punishing her for eating a candy bar and lying about it.

After the run, Sheriff Todd Entrekin said the girl became dehydrated and had low sodium.

She had a seizure and later died.

The relatives face murder charges.

The girl's father, overseas at the time, took eight flights to get to Alabama to tell his daughter goodbye before doctors took her off a ventilator.

This is a local news story. Just wondering opinions. I have made my kids run laps as a form of discipline, but it's usually 10 laps around the yard or whatever.  It's hard to believe they would make her run for 3 hours without stopping, or even giving her water?  And this seems like an extreme punishment for sneaking a snack. SMFH.... I feel for the poor dad.

• unforgivenunforgiven
    There was a military family who did something similar on Dr. Phil. It's not my thing. But I can understand why parents go this route. I think people who don't know when to draw the line like this family in the news shouldn't do this shit! Running for 3 hours?! No.

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • runbitchrunrunbitchrun
    My BIL makes his boys do push-ups and a coworker of my husband makes his kids do that sit against the wall thing, I have no idea what that's really called. Three hours seems a little extreme, ya think?!?
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I don't see a problem with a few laps around three house but 3 hours is insane! That poor little girl :( stories like this break my heart
  • AnonUser37
    I don't see a problem with "running ten laps" or some determined amount of reasonable time but this? This saddens and disgusts me. This is about far more than this candy bar in my opinion....to allow it to get so out if hand that a child DIED...there were some deeper issues in this family.
  • AnonMomAnonMom
    For me it's not the punishment that gets me.  It's the length of time they made her do it.  And the fact that it was over a stupid candy bar.  Poor family for having to deal with this horrific tragedy.

During sports, if our son gets in trouble he runs a few laps around the sports field.  Off season he does outside chores.
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I can see running a few laps. We have made a couple of our kids pick up rocks out of the yard until a small bucket was full (like those little ones that you take to the beach). But I would never withhold water or go to that extreme. That is ridiculous! Over a lie?? Fuck them.
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    Physical labor as punishment is one thing, but excessive physical punishment is abuse. 3 hours? For a 9 year old? Hells to the no! I've made my kids run laps, do extra chores or "hold up the wall" but never ever for more than 15 minutes. Ever.
  • I want to cry for that little girl.
  • theoutcast
    I hope someone makes those bitches run around a prison yard for 3 DAYS straight.
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie

I hope someone makes those bitches run around a prison yard for 3 DAYS straight.

With ravenous wolves chasing them.

WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• I hope someone makes those bitches run around a prison yard for 3 DAYS straight.

WORD
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    Word x2

confessional-manager

• tampabaymom
    OMG... I couldn't even do that to my DOG :O
  • @unforgiven - Gonna give it a #wordx3
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    You just HAD to add a hash tag didn't yah?! Lol

confessional-manager

• Couldn't resist!
  • AnonUser29
    I want to cry for that little girl.

I did cry for that little girl AND her father. Some parents are so "out there" it simply amazes me. I came from a home that was strict and highly disciplined. If we misbehaved, we had to carry 5 gallon paint buckets half full of bricks around the yard for 30 min- 1 hr. If we lied, we ate habanero peppers.I think that in a lot of ways, these things made us stronger even though we harbor a bit of bitterness today. In this story, these aren't parents, they are monsters. I truly hope that the murder charges go through. 
  • lilolmelilolme
    This is horrific. I feel, I can't even put into words what i am feeling, I am so MAD at these people! I have made my kids run laps as punishment, but never for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I have also made my kids hold up the wall, do push ups, mountain climbers, etc it can be used as a decent form of discipline as oppsed to spanking them. My 8 yr old DS wants to be a navy seal and can run laps, do over 200 push ups in less than ten minutes, but that was by his choice to train for anapolis, and we educate him on rest and hydration etc.That being said, goin to the extreme as these ppl did is ridiculous. I hope they rot, or die painfully in some way, grr to these ppl.
  • AnonUser29
    @verdictlesslife... eh, it's the past but thank you. I finally let go of (most) of it a few years ago. Having my own child I think has helped because I am determined not to be the mom I had. On a good note, it DID help to mold me into the bitch I can be today. 
  • lovinmom
    I'm training for a half marathon......TRAINING. I'm not even up to 3 hours yet. There is no way I could run 3 hours right off the bat. I don't know if this was a typical punishment but I don't see how a child could run 3 hours. Laps, 20 mins fine but 3 hours? I feel very bad for this child
  • Sleeplessinnc
    It was her stepmother and grandmother that did it... Stories like this scare the hell out of me because it just reinforces the fact that I can't always control what happens to my babies. If I were this girls mother or father they had better hope they went to jail so I couldn't get near them.
  • tampabaymom

What blows my mind is that they didn't give her water!! Even marathoners have pit stops for water.

• motymoty

This is so horrible!! My heart breaks for that little girl. I hate hearing of stories like this, it's just ridiculous. I don't have a problem with running laps ,we were always made to run laps in softball or gym class if we couldn't follow rules. But it was a few laps, or for a few minutes.

I have threatened my DS with running laps around the yard, to burn off excessive energy when he was being wild inside, but I've never actually made him do it.