Tips For Cutting Children's Hair At Home
  • Juliet
    I honestly thought I would never be the mom that does haircuts at home herself, but I'm really considering it at this point. At least until my DS is a little older. DH and I took him to one of those specialty kids' salons for his first haircut when he was 17 months. He FREAKED out! Screaming and crying, snot and tears streaming down his face! And at 18 months it's already starting to grow back, and I'm scared to take him again.

What I'm looking for is some tips and advice from moms who cut their children's hair themselves. (Particular boys of a similar age, but I'm sure moms who have any age and either boy or girl will have good advice for me!)

I've never done hair before. At the salon they used what my husband called "clippers" which to naive me looked like a razor with length attachments. (Yes, I'm pretty clueless I guess.) Where do I get such supplies? How do I learn how to do it? Are there books, you tube videos, etc? And what could I practice on?

Finally does anyone have general good stories or advice to share about when you decided to do this yourself at home?

Thanks!
  • Monkeynmoo
    I cut my sons hair and its fairly easy. Before I start I always just take a snip of mine (very small of course) and show him it doesn't hurt then I sit him in a kitchen chair and start cutting!
  • AnonUser28
    The clippers might be what scared him, because they do make a pretty loud noise. Stick with the scissors until he is a bit older!
  • etherieletheriel
    The professional clippers at hair salons can be pretty loud and scary to a little guy. You can buy clippers at Walmart for about $20. The clippers for home use are generally much quieter and at home you have the opportunity to show him what they are in advance and how they don't hurt, etc. I'm sorry I don't have any actual haircutting advice for you.
    If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • monstamomonstamo
    I am a stylist...my kids have a lot of experience in being good in the chair! Not an option, whether in my chair or in a salon!
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I cut my boys' hair with clippers. This started when ds13 was little. I took him in to one of those kid friendly places with the fun things to sit on, cartoons, balloons, suckers. Ds was having a wonderful time until the lady turned the clippers on right beside his ear. Scared the fuck out of him & he screamed anytime we walked into a salon. The only issue I have now is that the clippers vibrate & it tickles ds3 so I have to have someone hold his head still. But there are instructional videos & the clippers themselves are pretty easy to use. Just start with a longer length than you think you might want, just to get the hang of it (& in case it is shorter than what you imagined!)
  • shouldcleanshouldclean
    I take my ds to a kids specialty place. His first hair cut he didn't scream at all. Up until about 2 to 2 1/2 he screamed but as soon as it was over he was fine. Even now he tells me he doesn't want a haircut. If it's not my child screaming it's some one elses. I just jeep taking him because it's something that had to get done. The one time we tried to buzz cut him at home for the summer it was a horrible experience. I let some one else do it, they are faster than I child ever do it
  • DemandaDemanda

The clippers might be what scared him, because they do make a pretty loud noise. Stick with the scissors until he is a bit older!

^^this.  I use the clippers on my son's hair now, but it wasn't until he was about 4 that he'd let me do it.  We also found when he was a lot younger that it worked really well if his Dad did it rather than me... Dad would cut some of his own hair to show him how easy it was, and then do the boy.  Same when we moved up to clippers for the first few times.  I think seeing Daddy go through it really helped.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." ~ Gloria SteinemPhotobucket
  • LifeofchaosLifeofchaos
    My 5 year old is petrified of clippers so we do a simple brush cut.

Make triangle in front snip desired length, using that triangle do a strip down center of head (u will use this as guide) then go back and do horizontal lines using the guide so you know length...snip snip snip
    Then for sides and back I just finger cut it as short as possible.
    Wish he'd let me use clippers but the brush cut is pretty easy
  • HotSouthernMess
    I went to Cosmetologist school. Paid like over 10K for that education.  I dont use it. I do not cut my childrens hair. My DD10 goes to a day spa and has her haircut. My DS5 goes to the barber with DH.
  • motymoty

My only advice is dont' use the dog clippers on him and don't let him use the clippers on himself.

^^ did both of those...lol! DS was basically bald.

• LoveLove
    Spawn loves to have his hair cut with clippers. He says it tickles LOL It doesn't hurt that his favorite person in the world (besides me and his dad) is my best friend, who is a stylist. He trusts her like he trusts me, and he knows we won't hurt him. I think the first time, she put some kind of cap over the end of some little bitty clippers, and let him hold them, and he sat in my lap and played with my phone the first few times she cut his hair. 

FYI to my knowledge, if your clippers are 'loud' -- they need to be oiled. Hair clippers hum, but shouldn't be what anyone would call loud--even the cheap-o's from Walmart!

community-manager

• GingersnapGingersnap
    We use clippers on both of the boys. They both have sensory issues and were apprehensive about the clippers. I put the guide on and let the boys hold the clippers *before* I begin. My mom used to do the clipping while I held ds1's head. There were tears, but he wasn't totally freaked out. We clip it short all over in warm weather, let it grow out, clip/trim the back and sides and let it grow out for the winter. Right now, ds1 (age 8) will just bend over the tub while I clip his hair. zoom zoom 

ds2 still cries when I pull out the clippers, but he'll cooperate enough to get the job done. Meaning, there are tears, but he'll stay still. 

I used to get my hair clipped and the vibration traveled to my inner ear and made it tickle like crazy. 

Keeping the overall session short seemed more important to my kids than taking breaks. We've done it both ways. 
    “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ― Joseph Campbell
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    Wow... I was going to suggest a bowl and scissors... Glad you got some more constructive advice. 

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • WickedDunkieJunkieWickedDunkieJunkie
    One thing... if it's nice out... I do the haircuts outside... brush them off and no cleanup... the wind takes care of it.
    I HATE sweeping up hair.

ETA: And it gives the birds some nest material.
    WDJ_Avatar_zps4536679b
    We Are The Music Makers... And We Are The Dreamers Of Dreams...

• AnonholeMomAnonholeMom
    Thanks to You Tube tutorials, I cut my whole family's hair!  Even mine!

I bought a pair of $11 hair scissors from Sally's Beauty supply and went for it on my husband, first.  I've cut his hair about 5 times with clippers/scissors combo and he's happy with it.  Trimmed my DD5's long hair and gave her some long layers.  Then I trimmed mine, long layers, and cut in side bangs.

It's fun!  (Or I'm just a freak.)

This was really helpful -

• Juliet
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, ladies!
  • brookiecookie
    My son went absolutely batshit crazy the first time I took him to my stylist for a haircut. Cost me $20 for the cut and another $20 for the bottle of wine I had to give her so she'd let me in her salon again. I cut it myself now. I've gotten some good tips from this site www.howtocutchildrenshair.com. They suggest not using ropes or sedatives on your child to get them to hold still. Why not?!? It works with my boyfriend.

They suggest not using ropes or sedatives on your child to get them to hold still. Why not?!? It works with my boyfriend.

Hilarious! I think I love you
    dont mistake my kindness for weakness
  • pennypenny
    My son (4) did great for his first cut, but then became a total mess from that point on. We had to switch from a cheap-o walk-in salon to a specialty kids place. He still wailed the first couple of times, but I figured that's what they dealt with all the time and went back anyway. He does well now as long as he has a snack to keep him occupied, and he gets to pick which video to watch during the cut. Yes, he eats some hair along with the pretzels, but it's a small price to pay for a fit-free cut.

If you're doing it at home, spread a clean shower curtain on the floor, put a chair on top, and set
    him down in front of a favorite show. Take your time, with breaks for
    snacks or just to regroup.
  • mamaofboysmamaofboys
    Like @love my best friend is a stylistic and cuts both boys hair at our house. Its never been an issue with DS5 but the little one was afraid and screamed through his entire first 3 haircuts. She would just concentrate first on the part that really needed it. Something that really helped was I took Ds2 to the beauty supply store and let him pick out his own kid sized cape. Then he has something to look at while he's having his hair cut. I also usually give him my kindle to play with.
    Good luck!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present.
  • boring_nameboring_name
    A couple words of advice from another hairdresser>  it takes a lot of practice to get a decent looking haircut at home and often the LO won't sit any more still for mom/dad than the hairdresser.

Don't call it a hair CUT.. call it a trim.. Other CUTs hurt right?? 

A stylist should always talk to the LO I always turn the clippers on away from them 2 or 3 times and talk to them about the sound... even show them on my hand that the clippers can't cut skin. Let them touch them while they are running. It really does help them lose the fear of it. I often call them the "ticklers" instead of clippers.

Take them with when you get your hair done so they see it doesn't hurt, and can be fun to talk to the stylist.

I also often have mom/dad sit in the chair with a cape, have LO on their lap facing them with legs on either side. It gives me full access to the majority of their hair but they can see/feel their comfort. Yes mom/dad gets hairy... yes kid does too. 
    Also take them in grubby clothes and be able to take them home or such after... if they are afraid of the cape (which many are) skip it. Why wrestle over that part. 

Many want to let their kid eat candy or sucker or such while getting the cut (it's a mess!). they will just end up eating a lot of hair and crying because hair is stuck everywhere. 

You really want to try to make it fun. The bigger deal and production the bigger they will react. 
    B
  • no_whine
    This cheap ass mom cuts ds (28mos) hair in the tub. The part that bothers him the most is the cut hair itching his neck and skin. He loves bath time so I do it in the tub with a basin of water he can play with and regular kiddie scissors. I basically trim to keep his hair from being in his eyes and tickling his neck. I use dry wash cloths to brush off the cut hair as I go and rinse stuff with water as I need. It's usually okay when I'm done. It's pretty even, passable.
  • LLBLLB
    I do ds's hair with clippers at home. After him freaking out at the "kid friendly" salon and their less than kid friendly reaction to it I bought a pair of clippers and do it at home! I don't do anything more than a buzzcut on him though! I just run the clippers all around his head until it all looks even.

At almost 6 dd still has baby fine hair that barely touches her shoulders. I got her bangs trimmed at the salon 1 time just so I would have a line to follow and now I do hers at home as well! I'm certainly not going to pay $20 for the 30 seconds it takes a hairdresser to trim her bangs. I'm usually pretty good unless she moves!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    The only thing I have is don't make the same mistake my SIL did. Check the number of the attachment before you start!! Her ds got shaved bald because she forgot to put the guard on ! Lol. Then she cut my DSs really short she put the wrong one on ! Thankfully both cuts were at the start of the summer. They have grown out.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • boring_nameboring_name
    LLB said:

I do ds's hair with clippers at home. After him freaking out at the "kid friendly" salon and their less than kid friendly reaction to it I bought a pair of clippers and do it at home! I don't do anything more than a buzzcut on him though! I just run the clippers all around his head until it all looks even.

At almost 6 dd still has baby fine hair that barely touches her shoulders. I got her bangs trimmed at the salon 1 time just so I would have a line to follow and now I do hers at home as well! I'm certainly not going to pay $20 for the 30 seconds it takes a hairdresser to trim her bangs. I'm usually pretty good unless she moves!

@LLB another tip.. use masking tape to get a straight line across the bang where you want it.. then cut along the top line of the tape.. 
    B
  • GrainneGrainne
    We take our boys to the stylist who does my and my dh's hair. First few times they cried screamed and complained but we persevered and made some positive rituals around it - they sit onour laps while getting haircut, they get to have a cup of "tea" while there (she has a k cup thing) while I'm getting my hair done(we get everyone done at the same time they and DH go first) they go to the park across the street with dad and after we are all done we go to the bakery across the street for a treat. Now they LOVE going to see Heather and get their hair done. Our stylist is awesome and totally understanding and it was so worth it to make it positive.
  • LLBLLB
    Thanks @boring_name! I might try that but it literally only takes me about 30 seconds to do it right now! Her hair is Sooo thin but it's got a bit of a wave to it so even if I mess up a bit it's not really noticeable.
  • honeymomma
    youtube saved us when my husband was unemployed for 6 months and I became a pretty good barber. Sadly though DS3 has stick striaght hair and I'm curls and hubby is wavy. Almost impossible to cut stick straight hair evenly!
  • anxiousmama27
    mine is about 17 mths and lots of people are saying he needs his first cut.  I love his little curls though and I don't want them to disappear yet!
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    I cut Jameson's hair sometimes, with scissors.  If you get clippers, there's apparently a difference between those for beard trimming and hair cutting.. a size 4 guard is perfect for a semi-short but not totally buzzed look, a size 4 with a beard trimmer is practically to the skin, a lesson I learned a few months ago.  That youtube video posted is great, I use scissors and just pull chunks of hair between my fingers (a strip up and down, not side to side or you'll end up with 'steps' or whatever) all around his head and cut what's sticking out, ends up with a really great all over cut that is about an inch long.

For grins (I can laugh now that it's grown out..we were all horrified!) here's what a size 4 guard with beard clippers does:

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe
  • tothemoonandbacktothemoonandback
    And this is what a size 4 hair clippers guard does (much better...):

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. - Marilyn Monroe