Kids selling stuff for school?
  • Anonymous
    We get (or used to get, until I bought a "No Soliciting" sign for my door) at least a half dozen kids a week selling stuff for school, sports, activities, etc. around here. Not to mention the door to door salespeople. How do you handle that?

My son is in daycare, and even his daycare wants us to solicit, which I think is ridiculous. How are you really supposed to take a pre-schooler door to door and ask people to buy crap? We simply write a $20 check every few times these things come around and hand it straight to the teacher and tell them we won't be selling anything. I plan to keep this up for the entire school career, unless there is a 'reason' to be selling, such as paying for a trip or paying for something specifically for my children. Then they can do the hoof work if it's really that important to them.

And I HATE getting bugged at work over this crap. Between the home businesses on the side, Girl Scout Cookies, etc. I'd be handing over my whole damn paycheck some months to keep these people happy. And some people get mad at you no matter how politely you turn them down. Crapola. They aren't even supposed to be doing that stuff at work.

How do you all handle this stuff? I HIGHLY recommend the No Soliciting sign, by the way. It's worked wonders at our house. If one of the kids does ring the bell, I politely explain the sign and they usually just say thanks and take off.
  • Anonymous
    I get it a lot too. I just say I'm sorry I can't this time. When it's the kids I am very polite, I would never want to hurt a kid's feelings but I do get irritated at the adults who do it either on their own. We get these people who come at least a couple times a week trying to get us to buy frozen meat out of their truck of all things! I was pretty upfront with them finally and told them not to come back! I'm definitely getting the no soliciting sign though, thanks for the tip!
  • Anonymous
    Our schools don't allow door-to-door sales, but we get adults doing it all the time - usually those magazine subscriptions - $209 for a 12-month subscription, as opposed to buying it $24 elsewhere. Lots of those wonder-cleaner people too. No soliciting sign doesn't seem to work here, so I pull out the secret weapon: Rottweiler. She's super friendly and wouldn't hurt a fly, but barks like a fiend when someone comes to the porch. I answer the door holding her collar like I can barely control her and they quickly move on to the neighbor. They're so scared of her bark and breed that they never notice her back end is wagging like crazy.
  • Anonymous
    When I was teaching I got LOTS of requests to buy things from kids for their church groups or school fundraisers, and it was like I was EXPECTED to say yes. I'm not sure why. Maybe these people don't know how much teachers make in this state. Anyway now that I don't teach anymore I don't get as many requests. There are a few kids in my neighborhood and they hit me up for something a couple times a year. Last time, a group of girls happened to come by a few days after *someone* had damaged my mailbox. I knew it was one of their brothers. When I opened the door I asked them who messed with my mailbox, and they were so eager to sell me the cookie dough they totally ratted out their brother. I told them I'd buy cookie dough if they took him a message from me. lol It was a reasonable exchange of services. I've had no problems out of their brother since then.

When adults come to sell me stuff, I don't even open the door. If I do open the door not knowing who it is or that it's a sales person, I shut it the second I realize they're selling something. I didn't ask them to come knock on my door and they're not allowed to take up any of my time while I stand there smiling through the sales pitch when I don't want their crap anyway.
  • Anonymous
    I buy whenever I can because I strongly believe in supporting my community and in giving back. If someone is selling something to make a profit that is different. But if it is for a fundraiser then of course I will give - because people like you don't.
  • Anonymous
    I would rather just give the cash than feel obligated to buy the CRAP our kids are selling. And I do. I send a $20 check per child per fundraiser. We have 5 kids, and we have no near neighbors, and we don't go to church enough for me to feel comfortable whoring for the school. Neither DH nor Grandparents are allowed to sell at work.
  • Anonymous
    I've never actually had a kid come door to door, mostly I get adults, weird meat businesses and Jehovah's.
    For the meat guys, well, I have guns. I am alone in the country so... when a stranger knocks, I sit back and let the German shepards attack the door. They aren't really mean, they don't bite, but they're territorial, and they bark, a lot. I never see the same guys more than once... oops.
    For the religious fanatics, I answer in my bra, or without pants on, once I got lucky and they knocked while I was still dripping wet from my shower, so I answered in a towel. Those people just don't handle nudity well...
  • Anonymous
    I would also rather give them cash as opposed to paying $15 for a tiny tin of crappy pop corn and the group gets half of that. Sell something I want to buy (girl scout cookies) or just ask for cash. I think 5k runs, group cook books and group calendars, jump a thons, group rummage sales, bake sales car washes and other things where the kids and families perform a service or are the creative talent are much better options.

And the worst crap sales is when my private daycare that I already pay for wants my kid to sell stuff. Not! And no donation either!
  • Anonymous
    Hey, 9:59 - I think the point is that most of us don't have the money to buy every single time this comes around. The OP said she gave $20 to the school every few times, it's probably all she has to give after paying her sons daycare fees and whatnot. It's great that you have all this extra money to spend, but your shitty attitude that the rest of us are just being stingy is unreal. I wouldn't even have the extra $20 every now and then. What a bitch you are.
  • Anonymous
    I always try to buy from the kids fundraisers as well. I know that a straight donation to the school or club they are promoting would probably yield them more profit, but young kids take so much pride in these fundraisers. I don't mind buying something and helping them out. I'd hope people would do the same for my kids when they are that age. I do think going door to door is a little archaic and a bit dangerous, so I prefer the other options like 5K runs, rummage sales, etc. like another poster mentioned. If kids were knocking on my door daily, then I would have to kindly say no, but we never have kids knocking on the door. It's usually friend's kids, younger relatives, etc. and that makes me even more willing to help out.
  • Anonymous
    It's literally once a month with the selling crap for my kids ! No, I don't want a 2lb tub of cookie dough for 10 dollars. I also don't want a single roll of gorgeous Christmas wrapping paper that is only enough to wrap ONE present for $5. I wouldn't care for a tin of popcorn. I can buy better quality jewelry at the flea market....
    Mine only WANT to sell any of that mess, because the school pushes HARD 'if you sell this many, you get x prize' . I look at the prize page and it's shit we can get from the Dollar Tree.
    I'd much rather send $20 straight to the cause and just BUY them the toy they want.
    That's for MY kids. If you're kids are trying to sell me something, I'm sorry, but this bank is closed. With 5 kids of my own, I can't afford to sponsor yours, too.
  • Anonymous
    Say "No thanks," and shut the door. Works every time.

If it's kids, though, I usually give them a couple of bucks to encourage them but rarely buy what they're selling. Sometimes it's ridiculous, like a 20-pound box of oranges or something. I like oranges just fine, but there's no way a family of 3 is ever going to get through that many oranges before they go bad, even if we give some away. So I just make a donation. They're happy, I'm happy, end of story.
  • Anonymous
    ---------------> would rather just give the cash than feel obligated to buy the CRAP our kids are selling.
    THIS!! Me too!
  • Anonymous
    Hey 9:42: Settle down. It is possible to make your point without calling another person a bitch- certainly no one called you one. Not very classy. And just so you know, if someone doesn't have money to give, that is fine. I don't think anyone was saying that was wrong. But if someone can give, particularly if it is for something their kids are involved in or something that will support their community, then they should. We all do what we can.
  • Anonymous
    Ugh!!!!!! Those 20 pound boxes of oranges are the WORST!!!!!! LOL. I finally just gave up trying to eat them all. No one around here can even look at oranges without getting sick. Fundraising FAIL.
  • Anonymous
    I bought $60.00 worth of terrible chocolate because I am a) too lazy to sell stuff for my son's nursery school b) most people don't like feeling obligated to buy stuff c) I pay for the NS, so why should I have to make them $...and, now my ass is fat!
  • Anonymous
    Like I said this is why fun runs and jump a thons etc are better because the organization gets 100 % and I don't have to feel suckered into a tin of popcorn. The worst is when they advise the kids not to sell door to door because it's too dangerous. Translation: mom is supposed to purchase $70 worth of this crap and worse yet, mom is supposed to hock this stuff on behalf of her kid at work (where people run when the see you coming.)

The worst of the worst is the shitty prizes the pump the kids up with.... But mommmmmmmmm if I don't sell five magazine subscriptions I won't get a google eye weeble!

I just tell him I'll give him a buck if he stops whining about the frigging weeble
  • Anonymous
    Our kids are all instructed to NOT go door to door and to have parents hit up family, co-workers, friends, and fellow church members (no, they don't say "hit up", but they may as well!)

Let's face it, no one can afford it most of the time, it's not worth the money you spend on it - EVER, and it's a waste of time!

I really wish they would do something else to raise money - have a program at school and take donations and/or sell concessions, have a family/game night and serve food, stuff like that that people actually will WANT to do.

Sorry, I'm not gonna buy 5 lbs. of cookie dough for $20!
  • Anonymous
    9:12pm

Oh I hate that!! We had them come by in our neighborhood all the time. I'm too nice. I always say - aw, maybe next time!

And there's a sweet family that comes door to door selling tamales too - the little girl is friends with my daughter, and I'm a tamale-aholic, but I hate that they're sending their kids door to door to do the selling. And I don't always buy b/c I don't always have the $$, so then I feel guilty b/c this little girl is so sweet!
  • Anonymous
    I was head of my kids' school PTO for three years. The really crappy thing about fundraisers is that schools make anywhere from 20-50%. So if you buy a tin of popcorn for $15 and the school only gets 35%, that's a whopping $5.25 for the school! I personally give the PTO $20 for each of my kids at the start of the year and am done with it. We'll occasionally do things like when they have Chick Fil A nights or whatever.
    When kids come to my door, I just say, "My kids are selling that, too, sorry." I don't open my door for adults.
  • Anonymous
    UH!! I am dreading the fundraiser thing when my kids get old enough! I still to this day get crap from my parents about the $100.00 of candy bars they had to buy for me in H.S. for a cheerleading fundraiser. I shoved the boxes under my bed and forgot about them, lol! I don't answer the door for adults, and guess I'm lucky I only get a few kids a year for stuff. I usually buy the least expensive thing they have. In my area they mostly set up tables outside of the grocery and discount stores rather than go door to door. Nice because you can choose to stop or keep on walking.
  • Anonymous
    Whenever someone knocks on the door I do not know I pretend to be deaf. I know its wrong but hearing people are afraid of deaf people if they don't have any prior experience with them, as most in the community do not, it works like a charm. I just point to my ear and shake my head "no".
  • Anonymous
    We had a candy bar incident not too long ago, this school year. We have always participated with that, because really, what's easier to sell than a $1 chocolate bar?
    Well, this year, they were $3 each, AND no returns. Which meant if the kids got a case, WE were responsible for the entire $$ of the case, not just the ones we were able to sell. Same with those crazy local discount cards they try to sell. You might have 50 people say yeah order me one, but when they come in, it's oh I don't have any money, and then parent is responsible for the cost ($10 each)
  • Anonymous
    This is my daughter's first year in Girl Scouts. I just now (yesterday!) got the $45 my BFF owed me from MARCH when her cookies came in. I love the woman, but geez oh man I thought I was going to smack her a few times over the past few months! I had to turn that money in so my daughter could continue in the troop. $45 isn't a huge amount but it was enough. Never again. It's upfront or nothing. I know she feels/felt really bad about it but it would have been easier for her to have either not ordered so many cookies or to just pay me $10 4 times plus.
  • Anonymous
    Girls Scout cookies are my weakness!! I order from every one of the pig-tailed little things that come knocking on my door! They are just so cute in their little uniforms and the cookies are awethome! I'd pay six bucks a box for those any day rather than a roll of wrapping paper that's not big enough to wrap more than one present in any day!
  • Anonymous
    I think girl scout cookies are officially the only thing children should be asked to sell. That's it. And it's a good deal for everyone. The girl scouts make a profit, the other organizations jack the price slightly and make a profit. I don't know what the he'll the boy scouts were thinking when they decided to sell tiny tins of popcorn for $20. When it is popcorn season I cringe. I tell all the relatives "do you want to donate to the cub scouts in exchange for a lovely consolation prize of popcorn." no one wants to buy that shitty over priced popcorn. Grandma just cuts to the chase and writes a $20 check direct to the pack.
  • Anonymous
    The sad thing is the girl scouts earn between $0.40 and $0.60 per box of cookies. $2.50 a box and the girls get sixteen percent of that? Insane.
  • CrashCrash
    Well people...it's that time of year again! School and sports starting, right along with fundraising!

What crap are you all expected to sell and/or buy?
    Why be a king when you can be a God?
  • chaosmomchaosmom
    I don't remember what the elementary school does for fundraising. We normally just throw it away lol. Buuuuut, this year, ds13 HAS to do fundraising for Chorus. They don't get any money from the state for Fine Arts programs. He has to have $78 for his tux & another $80 for the general fund & well, I can't afford that shit. They are selling fruit baskets, biscuits of some sort?, cookie dough & Christmas trees. They are also doing a car wash, a Pelican SnoCone night & I think 1 other thing along with selling tickets to the concerts (they are only $3 so not bad). And all this will happen between now & the middle of October. Sheesh!!
  • anonymommy
    Ugh.  Just typed out a long response re: DS3's preschool fundraising.  PRESCHOOL. Wtf?  I swear that's really all they covered in open house the other night.

golf tournament--we have to "donate" $ to the cash prizes for the tourney, expected to play ($60 person/$240 team) or sponsor/find someone to be a hole sponsor (another $50)

Monthly market days (basically a food catalog--add in some Christmas stuff in October)

T-shirts--have to have them, but the smallest size they have is a 6-8--and this is for preschoolers.  Mom and dad have to have them too because we have to walk in the town's parade with them on.

pictures in the fall and in the spring

And, we pay monthly tuition.  This is just what they hit us up with at open house.  I'm pretty sure there will be more.  I just can't believe it starts up this hardcore in preschool.

• LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder
    Cookie dough. My brother, former MIL, and I bought just enough so the kids get to go to the "magic show". So lucky my oldest thought it was the lamest thing he'd ever seen and said "The only prize on there I want is the digital camera. I'll never sell enough. Just get me a cheap one for xmas and call it good" He's 10. damn I love that kid!
  • CrashCrash
    I think we have to sell the following for school: Cookie dough. Bird feeders and christmas wreaths. Magazine subscriptions.

And for hockey, we sell meat. That's right...meat. Lol. 
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    Yes, I get the great joy of selling popcorn, yeah me.  Along with what everyone loves, the wrapping paper.  Whoot whoot.  Party going on here.  Our school also does the Spirit nights at Chuck E. Cheeses and Chick-fil-A, they have both Fall and Spring Carnivals for $13.00 an armband, and they do a yearbook for grade schoolers, really?  I also think they are looking into doing coupon books. 
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • CrashCrash
    Actually if anyone has kids in playschool or pre K and needs an idea for a fundraiser, here's a really cute one that no one can resist. Christmas cards. Every kid draws a nice christmas scene, you print it onto a card with a message inside, and sell them in packs of, well, however many kids are in the classroom. Lots of people, even stingy relatives, will buy these, and the kids get a buzz off of being real 'artists'.
  • etherieletheriel
    I never make my kids participate in the school-wide sales, but I do make them participate in the sales that benefit the organizations that are providing them with financial aid opportunities (Girl Scouts, Little League, and band). We'll have Girl Scout fall product starting in 2 weeks, a band Rock-aThon, band candles and coupon books and other band fundraisers TBD to pay for spring trip, and Girl Scout cookies and Little League raffle tickets in the spring. If I tried to hit up all my friends and family for every little fundraiser that came our way, I think they'd kill me.
    If I'm not supposed to do it, how come I can?
  • GritsGrits
    Good lord our school send home a never ending stream of crap fundraisers. I swear, if someone would just put a little thought into it, one or two that offered stuff people really wanted to buy would be so much more effective than 10 fundraisers that are all pushing junk. And overpriced junk at that. The only one they do that I participate in is the bread braids. They're a little pricey, but they're yummy, and people are usually willing to order to help out the school.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • LLBLLB
    Ugh I hate fundraisers! Last year in kindergarten they has cheesecakes, cookie dough and the dreaded wrapping paper! I "misplaced" them all!

Yup, sorry I cannot afford $20 for a 5" cheesecake, $20 for a tub of cookie dough or $10 for a sheet of wrapping paper!

I agree with the others if they were to do a tag sale, bake sale, car wash etc I would have no problem donating to it. Don't send my kids home to sell me overpriced crap so that my kids don't whine about not getting a freaking bookmark or $ store toy
  • fatchickonabikefatchickonabike
    I send a donation cheque and send back whatever it is DD is supposed to be selling. Sorry, I'm not a door-to-door salesperson and neither is DD. Plus I hate being hit up by co-workers and acquaintances to buy whatever crap their kids are selling, so I refuse to do it to anyone else. Tough shit if DD doesn't win the prize for raising the most money.
    Part of growing up is learning to forgive your parents for being human.
  • Rosie08
    I refuse, and used to roll my eyes at that nonsense when I taught middle school. I'm not going door to door, nor am I harassing people I know. Who can afford that crap? Plus, all my neighbors have kids, hello. So stupid.

I agree that I'd do a bake sale, car wash, etc. However, I get pissed if anyone tries to guilt me into giving them money.

• CrashCrash
    The thing is, I *get* why organizations and schools fundraise. They need money, and they can't charge the kids or the parents. But shit, people. There has to be another way to raise cash.

One thing that really got my goat when I sat in one PTA meeting last year was this: They had about $18k of money that was raised at a casino fundraiser. They had to spend it, otherwise they wouldn't qualify for another casino. But meanwhile, we're still selling fucking Mom's Pantry. Why?! 
  • LA_PygmyHerderLA_PygmyHerder

The ones I REALLY hate, but the kids love are the "art shows". They have the kids do projects in art and frame them in cheapo frames then sell them for $25 each to the parents. If the art doesn't sell, they take it out of the frame and send it home anyway. And they usually start these things at 4:30 in the afternoon till 6. My husband doesn't get home till 5:30, takes 15 min to get to the school, and 45 minutes to get back out for 15 minutes of kool aid and disgusting cookies. No thank you.

They're also doing a jumpathon, fun run, candy sale, reusable shopping bags (that are ASTRONOMICALLY priced btw), and a book sale, and a fall festival on top of the cookies we're selling right now (2 weeks into school I might add!)

And this is all for the PTA. Whom I despise our PTA because they attempt to get things the school really doesn't need (read big screen TV's for the gym) and do almost no kind of outreach. And when someone suggests it and offers to run it they get all kinds of good wishes but zero help. I attempted to do a clothing swap last year to benefit all the people who got laid off around here and help them with winter clothing. They were all for it and abandoned me at the last minute. Needless to say, it didn't get done.

Don't get me wrong, I'll do anything for the teachers that's within my power and budget. I get emails asking for things and I give all I can to them. I know it's hard to teach these little monkeys especially when budgets for supplies are so slim. But the PTA here can kiss my ass.

• Rosie08
    Oh god, the art shows. No thanks!
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    I forgot to add the Stress Free Fundraiser, where they basically just ask for cash.

Saw our PTA budget last night, they have $16K left over from last year, so they said we were not going to do as much this year. Looked like the same damn list as last year to me.
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • bluemom
    Reason #120 why I love homeschooling, no fundraisers. When we do something for a club, or scouts, I usually just ask them how much of a profit were they hoping to make from each kids sales, and then donate that much, if I can afford it.
  • BlessieBlessie
    Ds did cookie dough and plants last year. I only bought cookie dough, but I will again, because it cut down on sooo much time at Christmas, and the colored dough is yummy and comes out as bright as it went in.

But DD's program fundraiser (she is hearing impaired so they are part of but separate from the school system) are geniuses. Their big fundraiser? Trash bags. And good ones. Who does't need trash bags? She was the top seller for the whole program last year, and people are already asking when it starts again. School Hans't even started yet! (Ps, and I didnt have to buy any! I forgot to film out a form!)
  • mericksmom
    I volunteer at the school so when they sell I already told them I bought.   I rather spend my time volunteering helping them earn the money, like at a PTA store, car washes, concession stand at the games  than buying crap.
  • 3223L3223L
    They should respect you decision not to sell! Especially if you're paying for daycare! I stopped asking people to buy anything from DDs school because it's overpriced crap. 
  • km.mamma
    I have to admit i luv girl scout coikies they r yummy! But the school fund raisers like wrapping paper r si overpriced!
  • 3223L3223L
    @km.mamma I know! We paid $16 for a tiny salad bowl with a dressing holder and it broke after about 15 uses. :(
  • 3223L3223L
    They should do something like Yankee candles or chocolate bars. Something people will actually want to buy.
  • jfletch1719
    Thank God we home school. We don't have to sell ANYTHING!