How do I get silly putty out of hair?
  • AnonUser23
    Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse my daughter comes up to me with a clump of gold glitter silly putty smushed in her long blonde hair. :((  Please....does anyone know what to do?
  • onetimeonetime
    Ice?

Suck it up buttercup!
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    Goo gone?

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • AnonUser23

Right now I'm so friggin tired from scrubbing the most disgusting (ever in my lifetime)throw up out of my sons rug for over an hour at 2 am. I haven't slept since and now this shit. ....and this is my first weekend with Jeff on deployment. I just want to cry.

• orangesumatraorangesumatra
    ice to harden it and break it out. it's also good for gum in hair/carpet. (goo gone is good for small stuff)
  • unforgivenunforgiven
    awww I'm sorry @handtowellady  >:D< Crap like this ALWAYS happens when they leave! 

confessional-manager

"What looks like torture is a time to rejoice
    What sounds like thunder is a comforting voice
    When what is beautiful looks broken and crushed
    And I say I don't know you
    But you say it's finished"
  • Peace
    Quick Google search says baby oil dissolves it. Rub some in, let it work & use a wide tooth comb. Then wash & use conditioner to remove residue...hope your day gets better... >:D<
  • Peace
    Vaseline or cold cream comes up after baby oil too...
    Start with wide tooth comb, then fine tooth, then wash.
    The conditioner also breaks it down.
  • AnonUser23

Thanks Ladies :) Sort of freaked out there for a minute. I did use baby oil and googled it and also used hand sanitizer. Between the 2 it dissolved it all except the glitter but she's taking a shower now so hopefully that will get it all out.

Honestly I don't know who I'm fooling....even if my husband was here I would still be the one cleaning up throw up and getting silly putty out of hair. I'm just tired. I am so thankful to have you Scary Mommies while he's away!

• loveitloveit
    Dawn works for gum that would probably work for putty too!
  • SammieSammie
    Oh my gawd, when I saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought: "Nooooo!! Not Kellie's hair!!" Your daughter has gorgeous hair, HTL. I love when little girls have long, pretty hair. Glad it came out!! Sorry about the puke. Is your boy feeling better?!

community-manager

• AnonUser23
    Yes @Sammie he only got sick that one time so I'm assuming it was something he ate and not a stomach bug. Holy shit I can't handle a stomach bug right now! I'm still trying to get over a double ear infection. I know, when I saw Kelly's hair I wanted to cry! I love it long and for a split second I was thinking the silly putty may have to be cut out lol What a week!
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    well behaved women seldom make history
  • mamabish
    That happened to my 3year old. She was freaking out so much I had to cut it out. She wouldn't sit still and was pullingnat it making her hair rip out at the roots. So, I cut it and she now has a weird patch of super short hair in the middle of her forehead. Oh well! Hugs to you and hope your day gets better.
  • primalmommaprimalmomma
    pray or scissors??   hmmm....quite a dilemma.  I will google that. baby oil!!
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5783462_silly-putty-out-hair.html
    “I did then what I knew to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” (Maya Angelou)
    http://www.primalmomma.com
  • AnonUser23

Ok Mamas just so you know, if this ever happens to you baby oil and/or hand sanitizer gets it out! Whatever chemical is in those 2 things dissolves silly putty. I used both. The only bad thing is that I have a feeling that the baby oil is going to take a few more washings to get out. I washed and conditioned Kelly's hair twice and still her hair is really greasy in that one spot but hey anything is better than glitter silly putty!!!

I really wish I knew how it got in her hair! She claims she has no idea...

• Lovebeingamom
    Just had the dis pleasure of dealing with this this morning with my daughter who fell asleep with her Silly Putty & got it all over her very long hair! The hand sanitizer worked like a charm but helping slide the SP out of her hair. Had her sit in re shower after wards while soaking in hair conditioner to rid of the residue. Love Google & all you moms who offered solutions!! Thank you!!
  • undercoverbanana
    i bet she went to sleep with silly putty in the bed somewhere. and her body heat melted it.
    i'm nekkid.
  • gramalibbygramalibby
    Yeah ,I bet it also , glad all came out
  • undercoverbanana
    And wd40 works, too.
    i'm nekkid.