Traveling with 16 month old on airplane
  • Anonymous
    So I am traveling ALONE with my son on the airplane; he's 16 months old. I'm not concerned with activities to keep him busy but I am nervous about how much food I can bring. Has only one traveled recently with a toddler? Can you bring whole milk and baby food aboard and how much was the limit? Did you bring a cooler and ice packs to keep the milk cool?
  • thezmommythezmommy
    Ice packs and regular whole milk, no. I had to buy a small container from the vendor once I was past sercurity. Not sure about the baby food though. Dry snacks, yes
  • Anonymous
    We travel frequently and did so when our kids were small. We packed a small backpack for each child (2) filled with tupperware containers of cereal, crackers and cut up fruit. After getting through security, we'd buy a bottle of juice per child and lots of water. You could buy milk after you get through security if they have it. I don't think that is a problem. As for baby cereal, yes. Bring it on dry and they will give you hot water to mix it with. They will also heat up your milk when they have a moment. I've found most airlines to be pretty accommodating for parents with young children. One time, the airline staff even took my daughter for awhile so I could have a break! So relax and enjoy your trip! (And if you ever have any questions, call the airline and they will tell you exactly what you need to know.) :)
  • Anonymous
    We've had baby food with us in packages and never had a problem. Because my daughter will not drink cold milk we bought those 4oz formula packs to take with us and bought room temperature water from a vendor in the airport. This way we didn't have to bring or make more than we needed. She would drink 4ox on the way up and 4 on the way down when she was 15 months old. We have found that traveling with her in a car seat is easier than keeping her on our lap now that she is older. It was great when she was 6-9 months old but now she just wants to run and play. The car seat helps her understand it's like a car and she must sit like we do. She gets the window seat. We are only in the air for a couple hours and during our last flight I put her in a night time diaper to keep from having to change her in the tiny airplane bathroom. You can bring whole milk. I would bring it in a baby bottle. It is to be treated like medicine and should not be put theu x-ray machine, it is unnecessary and against the TSA policy. They will just open the cap and wave a strip of some sort of paper to see if it reacts as explosive. They just wave it over, for fumes, they do not contaminate your babys milk. They do not have rules about how much, just whatever your baby may need. They want babies to be happy, it keeps everyone happy. I am lucky and my daughter is quite used to her ErgoBaby front pack, so we travel with that and my backpack on my back. It makes life a little easier to get around and keep her calm.
  • Anonymous
    best to check the tsa website for current regulations, but i think if the whole milk is in a bottle or sippy cup, they'll let it by. and baby food should be no problem.
  • Anonymous
    My worst moment traveling with my son when he was about 16 months old was when I was flying to Florida and we got delayed due to bad weather. There was bad turbulence and we circled for nearly an hour. About 5 minutes into this holding pattern, my son took a huge dump in his diaper and I was unable to change it since the plane was totally full and I was traveling alone. After about a half hour, my son became very cranky because he wanted his diaper changed and the other passengers were getting cranky too since my son was stinking up the entire plane. The joys of traveling with babies on airplanes. It was definitely not a good flight.
  • Anonymous
    I recently flew with my 7 month old ALONE as well. I packed 3 containers of jarred baby food in the diaper bag as well as like 4 ounces of apple juice in a sippy cup. TSA regulations say liquids are supposed to be 3 ounces or less but I feel that TSA is lenient with mothers traveling alone with small children. I didn't worry about milk because I am still nursing (which sucked because I had to whip out the boob on the flight! I was covered up though lol).
    On a side note, I'm not sure where you are flying out of, what airline you are using, or if you paid for your 16 month old to have his own seat but here are some things I found from my recent travels (on Southwest Airlines):
    -(this applies if you are planning on holding your child the entire flight) When checking in, ask if the flight still has any available seats, if there are plenty of available seats ask if it is ok to use your child's car seat as a carry-on (checking the other bag you were planning to carry on, since you are only allowed 2) so that he can have his own seat (this worked for me on both flights!)
    -You can check your carseat base for free because it is not a bag
    -You can use your stroller the entire time in the airport and once women with small children are boarding, the flight attendants will take your stroller and stow it in the front of the plane
    -Even if you are cleared to take your son's carseat on the flight and miraculously all seats sell out afterward, the flight attendants will stow the car seat in the same place the store strollers.
    -Make sure your son has a pacifier in his mouth (if you use one) while the plane is taking off and landing. It helps his ears pop that way he won't give you any crankiness due to earache.

I strongly suggest using your sons car seat as a carry-on. My daughter slept in her car seat the entire flight on the way to our destination. She only stayed in it half of the flight on the way home, BUT it is so much easier to feed and entertain while they have their own seat!!
    Sorry this is so long! Hope it helps!!