For those of you with pools
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    For those of you with toddlers and pools, or g'parents and pools:  PLEASE, PLEASE do not leave your children unattended around them and please make sure there are self-closing gates.  We just lost another little one in our state...the 4th or 5th  ALREADY this year to a pool drowning.  This child was 3 yo and the gate to g'parents pool was left open...

Children are sneaky little shits and yes, they can get away from us, and yes, during the summer season pools are HUGE temptations, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful!!!
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • regpregp
    I hate to hear about little ones drowning because they had access to a pool and weren't well supervised :(
    We have locks at the top of our doors, that way they can't gain access to the pool at all. 

A little girl "drowned" in our pool - before we bought the house. She was resuscitated, thankfully. Our pool goes from 4 feet to 11 ft in a span of about 8 inches. If you step on the slope, you will slide down and quickly be over your head. So, we are super vigilant even when we are outside with kids. Non-swimmers are not allowed in the pool without a life jacket. I visit thrift stores all year long to collect life jackets, so we have virtually every size they come in. And I insist on them wearing them. You would be surprised at the number of parents who think that arm "floaties" are sufficient life-preservers.

The only thing saving you from me is Jesus.
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    I was about 7 when I "sneaked" out of my g'parents apartment and was playing around an unfenced pool.  My parents thought I was in the kitchen with my g'ma and my g'ma thought I was in the living room with my parents.

I grabbed a palm tree leaf and was pulling on it, lost my balance when I let go and fell into the deep end.  Fortunately, being little I had a habit of jumping up and balancing myself on the side of the kitchen sink to get a drink of water from the faucet.  That saved my life.

I walked into the house dripping wet.  Needless to say my mom and dad and g'ma COMPLETELY freaked out and started screaming.  I have a story with a happy ending, many don't.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    Yes please watch the kids at all times. My DD drowned in a lake. It takes just a second and then they are gone and I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that kind if loss.
    " Wibbly wobbly timey wimey ......." The Doctor
    " I'm a leafe on the wind..watch how I soar ." Wash :((
    " Oh the wall had it comming.' Sherlock Holmes
    yea I am geek !!
  • ChristyJChristyJ
    We don't have a pool, but I watch our Alex like a hawk at his grandparents who have a big beautiful pool he likes to play around.  We are getting swimming lessons starting this weekend.  I will feel a lot easier when I know he can at least float. 
    Imperfect and proud of it.
  • 456Imamom
    We have a backyard pool... I'm super paranoid about keeping my DS (and ALL children) far away from it when not in life jackets AND within arms reach of an adult (a sober one if alcohol is being drunk). Friends tease me about having "pool rules" ... until they see the list, then there are no questions OR complaints!
  • GritsGrits
    We have an above ground pool, and fortunately, it's too high for younger kids to climb up into when we take the ladder off and lock it in the storage building. We do it EVERY.DAY. unless someone is in the pool, no need for the ladder to be there. DD3 has a lifejacket that she is required to wear in any water whether lake or pool, and DD8 has learned how to swim and float. All that and I still don't let them in it or near it unsupervised. We also have a pool cover that goes on in the evenings to help keep everything (neighbor kids included) out of the water, and we let our neighbors with kids know that the pool is up and to please be mindful of them when they're outside. Senseless tragedies, kids drowning. I hate to hear those stories, but they happen around here every summer.
    "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    We've had a least 3 more since I originally started this post...they are so senseless...it always breaks my heart to hear about them.
    Bite me, cupcake!
  • regpregp
    I'm so sorry @momofdbb  :(

@bellabefana - I've been following this little girl's story on fb and I am just so sad for her family. I hope she recovers.

@456imamom, At our house, non-swimmers are not allowed in the backyard without a life jacket on. I insist on it. It only takes a second for them to get out of eyesight or arm's reach. I have annoyed parents with my rule, but their only other option is to just stay home.

• AnonUser28
    http://lifehacker.com/5578943/recognize-the-real-signs-of-drowning-and-save-a-life

We've all been conditioned to believe that a drowning person will flail about, scream out, and otherwise draw attention to themselves so they can be helped. On the surface that would seem to make sense, if we were stuck out in a lake or struggling in the deep end of a big pool we'd certainly make a scene to get some help. Except drowning doesn't look like the dramatized version you see in movies. Drowning in real life is so undramatic that 10% of accidental drownings happen within 25 yards or less of people who could have helped. The following guide to recognizing Instinctive Drowning Response is excerpted from On Scene (Fall 2006), the journal of the U.S. Coast Guard.

1. Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. The respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled, before speech occurs.
    2. Drowning people's mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouths of drowning people are not above the surface of the water long enough for them to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning people's mouths are above the surface, they exhale and inhale quickly as their mouths start to sink below the surface of the water.
    3. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water's surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water, permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe.
    4. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response, drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.
    5. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people's bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.

Before a person has reached the involuntary stages of drowning they may call out for help because they are in what is known as "aquatic distress" and still have enough energy and oxygen to move about. Not all people use that brief period where they are distressed but not actually drowning yet to call for help, however, and many move quickly from distress to drowning without so much as a yell. Just because a person looks OK doesn't mean they aren't about to slip under. Keep a close eye on children and if you call out to your buddy off the dock and he doesn't respond don't assume he's just treading water.

• momofdbbmomofdbb
    DD never made a sound I was in the water not 10 feet from her. I lost eye contact for a short while. I saw a girl that looked like her from the back too. I thought it was her. I live with this every day. I should not have let it happen.
    yea I am geek !!
  • BellaBefanaBellaBefana
    @momofdbb:  it was an accident, and they happen.  
    >:D<  I know a part of you will always blame yourself for what happened, but I don't think Brianna would or would want you to keep beating yourself up...  
    >:D<

what happens here in AZ, and it annoys me to no end, is that people will put in pools w/o the proper fencing or locks on doors.  I know you can't watch a toddler every second, and an accident can/does happen, but if you're going to spend $$$ on the damn pool, then spend a little extra and make sure every possible safety measure is in place!

Bite me, cupcake!
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    I know , I have just been thinking about it a lot lately. She once told me " he ( her dad) makes you sad, I don't want you to be sad anymore" that's one reason I decided to leave. So I try to be happy. She has shown up in dreams telling me that she is happy and it is ok for me to be happy too. I am just having a hard time with that.
    I agree if you have a pool you need a fence or something to keep kids out.
    yea I am geek !!
  • MorganD
    OMG, poor baby! We only have a little $13 kiddie pool that my kids watch from the window until I have time to go outside. Hate it when little ones die, it's so horribly unfair.
  • AnonUser35
    So sad. I remember hearing about children drowning all the time when I lived in AZ. About a year ago, there was a family here that had just moved into their house with a pool. Mom and DD and DS (one was 3, the other 2) were watching movies on the couch. Mom dozed off and when she awoke, she was alone. BOTH babies had slipped outside and drowned in the pool. Heartbreaking!!!

I am so sorry @momofdbb.
  • regpregp
    @momofdbb>:D< terrible accidents happen. I'm so sorry.

I shared that article on my facebook and will continue to try to educate myself & others about the real risks. 
  • missmama5missmama5
    I have tears streaming down my face right at this moment for you @momofdbb I cannot imagine the grief. I'm so very sorry. Words cannot describe. *hugs* I will send words to my babies to send love to your baby, wherever they are now that they aren't by our side. *more hugs*
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    @missmama5 I'm sorry you were crying. I have a feeling that my DD is with your babies. Her plan in life was to grow up and be a mommy. Plus she never met a stranger, they were always her " bestest friends" even if they had just met. Lol. I know how it feels to lose one child I can only imagine losing more than one. I truly am sorry that you have. =((
    yea I am geek !!
  • missmama5missmama5
    @momofdbb I never got to officially meet my babies as they were both born still but losing a child is losing a child. I'm sure your little mommy is doing a good job mommying them for me :) All my deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has lost a child. It is quite possibly the most consuming grief in the world.
  • momofdbbmomofdbb
    " officially " or not you knew your babies you could feel them they could feel you and hear you they are and always will be your babies. I believe when the time comes they will greet you and call you mommy . A loss is a loss I don't care if it's two weeks in , 9 months or any age after that. My MIL had a stillborn. I could tell it still hurt even 30 years after. He would have been DHs little brother. Never let anyone tell you differently if they try to let me know I'll get them !
    yea I am geek !!
  • GarrettsmamaGarrettsmama
    Another thing to be aware of is locking doors, and putting up sirens in doors, windows. So many children sneak out of the home when a parent is occupied, or happens to fall asleep or whatever. We had a lil 3 year old sneak out and he fell into the river that goes through our town, and drowned the yard was not fenced. This stuff breaks my heart. With warm weather we all need to cautious with pools, doors, as well as windows. I hope everyone stays safe and has a happy fun summer!
    I am your mother 1st, and your friend 2nd! I will always love you, but it is my responsibilty to make you a decent man for when you get older. You will thank me once your married, and will understand why I did the things I did while raising you!