Motherhood changes you. Or it doesn’t

Before I was a mother, I didn’t really care for other people’s children. Sure, I could appreciate a cute one here and there, but I was never particularly drawn to the little creatures. Puppies were where it was at. I figured that once I became a mother, I would magically turn into a person who enjoyed generations born three decades before myself. A person who wanted to chaperon field trips and aid the teacher and host an annual Halloween party. A person who didn’t dread crowded birthday parties and passing lemonade stands. But, it hasn’t quite happened that way.

These days, I can’t stand other children more than ever. I scowl at them at the doctor’s office. They aregermy and contagious and I want them far away from my darling offspring. At the park they’re always on the equipment that my children want, and they are so much more annoying than my precious three at restaurants. At least when Evan plays with the sugar packets, he does so artfully and he looks so much more adorable wearing his lunch than all the other kids.

My children look infinitely less trashy than others running around the back yard in their underwear. When they scream at passersby they are simply asserting their independence, and it’s endearing. Even their poop is a hundred times less gross than other childrens. How did I get so lucky?

Maybe when I’m a grandmother that universal love of children will finally kick in. Or, maybe I’ll just be that nasty old lady yelling at innocent children in the grocery store.

Yup, that’s entirely more likely.

Comments

Brittany at Mommy Words says

Well I’m with you that my kids are the best…oh crap you meant your kids. Wel, we shall agree to disagree. I still love other kids – but if they have one booger or couch they better not come anywhere near my angels.

And Mama Kat – mine and yours can be in the Met and on Idol together. Geniuses they are!

You make me laugh! Thanks!

Brandy says

I enjoy going on field trips with my nephew b/c at 5 & 6 the kids are so excited to see everything. And it gets me out of work. BUT I have never & will never chaperone one of my teens trips b/c a bus full of hormone rampant teenagers are what my nightmares are made of.

I only like a select few kids, namely people that are related to me; other kids are just annoying.
    .-= Brandy´s last blog ..I’d like the WHOLE sweater please. =-.

parententhusiast says

Totally hear what you’re saying. Imagine, though, if you had to switch kids with another set of parents for a week – like on CMT’s World’s Strictest Parents? Oh boy.

Check out http://www.cmtworldsstrictestparents.com where you can use the Parenting Survival Guide and read parenting survival tips from others. It’s really great and they have some fun interactive stuff too – you can share your comments about your kids with other parents!

class factotum says

When my friend Laura had her first baby, I asked if changing diapers wasn’t so bad because it was her own child.

She looked at me and said grimly, “It’s still shit.”

Sarah @ Ordinary Days says

I’m right there with ya. My father-in-law always tells me I should be a teacher because I’m so good with kids. What he doesn’t get is that I’m good with MY kids, I’m evil with other people’s kids.
    .-= Sarah @ Ordinary Days´s last blog ..Sibling Sweetness, or more stuff never to say to a pregnant woman =-.

C @ Kid Things says

Even to this day, 3 kids in, my parents still like to remind me “But you always said you never wanted to have kids”. It’s true, I didn’t back then. I didn’t like children. I never knew what to say to them or do with them and they just seemed so confusing. They still are confusing, but I don’t mind being around them. Mine anyway. I still like to stay as far away from everybody else’s.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Helicopter =-.

Amethyst Moon says

I feel that way too! Especially now that mine are teens, I see other kids, and think how do you let you kid behave like that? Ex: I was recenly in a restaurant and a2-3 yr old was throwing her food everywhere while the parents just ignored it, and when they were one, they just left the food for the server to clean up! Really?! Pay ttention to your kids, and clean up after them! Ugh!

Ok, better now :0) thanks for the inspiration to vent.
    .-= Amethyst Moon´s last blog ..Writer’s workshop- Playground Rules =-.

Stephanie@The Blue Zoo says

I always loved kids. When I was younger I loved babystting. I was going to be a pre-school teacher. Then I had my own kids. And I no longer liked other kids that were not related to me! LOL
    .-= Stephanie@The Blue Zoo´s last blog ..The Scariest Mommy Of All =-.

S Club Mama says

OMG that is hilarious. (I’m also not a fan of other people’s kids. that’s why I cannot do daycare). I am a fan of the name Evan, though. That was one of the names we had chosen for Isaac when he came out with no name. lol
    .-= S Club Mama´s last blog ..Playground Rules =-.

Jennifer says

Love your honesty. Too funny! Having my own kids did make me think when I see a kid misbehaving, “Man, I hope my kid never acts like that.” LOL!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Things Kids Say Thursday #6 =-.

Mama B says

Funny! I liked other kids much better before I had my own, now I am a lot like you. It must be because our kids are so perfect!
    .-= Mama B´s last blog ..To the edge and back =-.

Kate Coveny Hood says

This reminds me of a friend I’ve known since grade school. She never thought she wanted to have kids because, you know – they’re evil. But of course she ended up having one of her own. She doesn’t actually talk about not liking other kids anymore – but you know deep down, she still thinks they suck.
    .-= Kate Coveny Hood´s last blog ..My Children and Gross and Annoying – The Final Chapter =-.

Stina says

great post. thanks for sharing your motherhood. i am just like you. other peoples kids bother me. we can be at the restaurant, grocer’s, playground, or at the mall, i can’t tolerate other kids. my kid gets on my nerves, but i love him. i get over it. other peoples kids annoy me. parents who don’t parent their kids annoys me too. i think i need to work on this problem. take care.
    .-= Stina´s last blog ..Writer’s Workshop – Playground Etiquette =-.

Heather Kephart says

Loved it! I think we were separated at birth! lol

I’ve never been a big kid person. I was always afraid of kids. Like they were fragile, and I would say something awful in front of them and scar them forever. And I didn’t know how to entertain them. Now that I have my own, I love them immensely and it has changed me. I see kids now for the pure innocents they are, but still I don’t want to open a daycare center anytime soon. I just want to be around MY kids.
    .-= Heather Kephart´s last blog ..Writing Down the Bones =-.

Stephaine @ Geezees says

I love your honesty….At least I’m not the only one who feels that way about other peoples children. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= Stephaine @ Geezees´s last blog ..Personalized Gifts for your Bridesmaid, Sister, and Best Friend =-.

Mamablahblah says

Okay, seriously, when MY son screams and bangs things on the table, he’s got great pitch and rhythm so it’s not annoying at all, unlike the other kids at restaurants. And, thankfully, he only screams and/or cries when he’s REALLY tired, hungry, teething, sick, bored, or needs attention. I can’t believe the number of kids who throw fits for no reason!

Jennifer says

Me too! Especially some of my friends’ children. Ugh. And I feel kinda like I’m supposed to like them, but I don’t. They are noisy and rough and annoying and I’m always wishing they were on ritalin or something.

I can not even believe that I just wrote that.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Her Friends Call Her Beautiful =-.

Heather of the EO says

You’re hilarious.

My terribly annoying children are the perfect ones too, just so you know. :)
    .-= Heather of the EO´s last blog ..Motherhood – Part Two =-.