Sixteen years ago today, Jeff and I went on our first date. Last night, he posted a picture of us on Facebook, a few months later over Thanksgiving break. He wrote that it his hope for our kids is that they fall as deeply in love as the two of us did. It was very sweet and I couldn’t agree more.
I feel like I need to address my bedroom, since it really just can’t be ignored.
I mean, have you ever seen anything quite like it?
1. Yes, those are fish floating around on my walls. But, not just any fish. Fish that I hand drew on plain white wallpaper and cut out and arranged one by one on the walls. Because you just couldn’t find a decent fish border, dammit.
2. After all, there might have been some confusion about exactly whose room this was.
3. Random teddy bear whom I had no attachment to.
4. Yes, those are mini liquor bottles lining every framed print I had in my room. No, I wasn’t an alchoholic.
6. The Broadway musical, Anything Goes. Have I mentioned how cool I was in high school?
7. Rosie the Riveter. I am such a feminist!
8. That’s another sombrero, for a total of three. In case the Three Amigos stopped by.
9. Hot guy ripped out from a magazine. (Why did we stop doing that again?)
10. A mock magazine I created in high school. Oddly consistent with what I do now.
11. Teddy bear sheets. To contrast the liquor and hot guy.
12. Awwww, Jeff’s hair!
13. Jeff used to find it adorable that I would trip constantly. And, I did. Like, all the time. I realize now that it had nothing to do with clumsiness or lack of balance, I just couldn’t walk in those chunky shoes.
14. Yes, I’m Jewish. Yes, that’s a nun. I have no idea why.
15. The Gargoyles of Washington University. Otherwise known as: What nightmares are made of.
And, now, a picture of Jeff in his room. This is the picture I excitedly sent home to my parents. They couldn’t wait to meet him.
I think I can safely say that our decorating skills have strengthened.
As have we.