Sparklers Are Fun But AlsoThe Most Common Cause Of Firework Injuries

Sparklers Are The Most Common Cause Of Firework Injuries

Image via Shutterstock

Last year, approximately 400 kids ages 0-4 had to visit the ER because of sparklers

Even more than hot dogs, hamburgers,and gaudy apparel in the hues of red, white, and blue, the most common item associated with the 4th of July is undoubtedly fireworks. We all have memories of snuggling on picnic blankets, watching big annual displays with our families and loving every second of it. And who doesn’t love a good sundown sparkler session? We all do, especially kids. But it’s important to remember that sparklers are still fireworks, and should be handled with caution.

The Boston Globe is reporting that while sparklers seem relatively tame, they still account for 22% of firework injuries. Which makes them the most common cause of firework injuries next to bottle rockets and firecrackers. What a buzzkill.

Look, we’re not here to rain on anyone’s Independence Day parade. Who among us doesn’t feel joy writing their name in the air with a sparkler? It’s also a fun way for kids to feel included in the firework hullabaloo. But please remember, sparklers — yes, itty bitty sparklers — can reach up to 3,000 degrees when ignited. They’re really not for small children, and even older kids should still be supervised.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported approximately 900 emergency room visits were related to sparklers last year. And 400 of those ER visits were because kids between the ages of 0-4 were injured from using them. Yikes.

If you’re going to include sparklers in your activities this year, keep a bucket of water nearby so you can toss them in there after they burn down. Sparklers remain pretty hot even after they burn out, and when it’s dark you don’t want your kids to step on them. Just be cautious.

Be careful out there, okay? Have a happy and safe 4th of July.