Pregnancy; A magical nine month long journey women are bless to experience.
Well, maybe, but there’s much that is less than magical about pregnancy, too.
We asked the Scary Mommy Community what they wish they’d known about pregnancy to, hopefully, save another poor mom-to-be some misery. Here’s what they had to say:
1. Don’t cut off your hair. Short is more work than you think and you will miss the ability to pull it into a bun.
2. Do the kegels. For the love of God, DO THE KEGELS!
3. Write down the crazy ass dreams you have immediately when you wake up. They can be insane and you’ll want to remember them (especially the juicy ones!)
4. Don’t buy your baby new clothes. Hand me downs or gently used clothes are just as good and you’ll save a fortune.
5. That time when it feels like your whole vagina is turning itself inside out and going to drop right through your legs? Yeah; that’s normal.
6. Enjoy the baby in your tummy, you are going to miss those little movements.
7. Don’t give in to all those pregnancy cravings, the weight does NOT magically melt right off!
8. Buy a nightlight for your bathroom. You’re going to be making many a mid-night trip there; you may as well be able to see where you’re going.
9. Let people spoil you. It’s going to be a while before you don’t have to share attention.
10. Appreciate your alone time. It’s over once that baby is born and you won’t get it back for 18 years.
11. Don’t be so afraid of labor. That’s actually the easy part. Just go with the flow and you’ll be fine.
12. Pack that damned overnight bag. Sometimes they come early!
13. Don’t go crazy with maternity clothes, but do invest in a few great staples like a pair of elastic waist jeans, a great sweater and maternity yoga pants.
14. Be prepared to lose yourself during the first few months. Know that you’re still there somewhere, and when you find yourself again, you’ll realise that you’ve become more than you ever thought you could be.
15. Believe it when they say “it’s worth it.” It will be.