We all parent differently. Even if our general philosophies are the same, we still parent differently. We’re different people who have unique children. There is no blueprint we all follow to a “T” because it’s impossible. Real parenting isn’t about planning, it’s about adapting and improvising, and handling all the nonsense your kids throw at you.
So I’m not concerned if other people have different parenting styles from me. I already know everyone does. But there are a handful of qualities I look for in other parents, qualities that, when they’re displayed, make me confident I will get along with that particular parent.
1. You have a sense of humor.
2. You have a sense of humor about your kids.
3. You have a sense of humor about parenting.
4. You insult your kids (not to their faces).
5. You insult your kids (to their faces sometimes but real subtle-like so they can’t tell).
6. You don’t freak out about too much screen time/too much junk food/too much TV.
7. You don’t freak out much in general.
8. You realize this is all a crapshoot.
9. You don’t buy your kids everything they ask for because that makes me look terrible when I say no all the time.
10. You provide booze at your kids’ birthday parties
11. You provide booze at playdates.
12. You provide booze.
13. You understand that beer gardens are fun for parents and kids
14. You swear.
15. You vaccinate.
16. You #NeverTrump.
17. You don’t judge.
18. You don’t give me parenting advice.
19. You understand that sometimes saying “yes” is better for everybody.
20. You don’t let your kids watch Caillou.
21. You do let your kids watch Star Wars.
22. You know why my car is a mess.
23. You know why my house is a mess.
24. Your car is a mess.
25. Your house is a mess.
26. You don’t care that your car and your house are a mess.
It doesn’t mean I won’t get along with you if you don’t have one or some or all of these qualities. But it helps!