Every once in a while, we get a movie so popular it is instantly catapulted to quintessential icon status. And 2006’s The Devil Wears Prada is nothing if not iconic. In fact, nearly 15 years after the film’s premiere, Devil Wears Prada quotes are just as ubiquitous on social media as they are in day-to-day conversation — “Florals for spring? Groundbreaking.” The film catapulted Anne Hathaway to superstardom and proved there’s absolutely no role Meryl Streep can’t nail, so it’s no wonder it’s an all-time fave.
We would, however, be remiss not to mention all the problematic toxic diet culture lines from the movie, especially the compliments showered on Andy Sachs as she goes down a size after first being bullied — even by some of our favorite characters like Nigel and Emily. But it is a dated movie about the fashion industry, after all. So take it all in with a grain of salt or rosy colored glasses and just enjoy the good parts we love to love.
Just in case you need a refresher, we’ve curated the absolute best quotes and monologues (like the one about the blue belt) from the film that will forever be in vogue. Of course we’ve also rounded up a whole slew of Miranda Priestly quotes so chic, so memorable, and so icy they’ll slay you and freeze the blood in your veins all at once. That’s all.
Miranda Priestly Quotes
1. “Is there some reason that my coffee isn’t here? Has she died or something?”
2. “That’s all.”
3. Miranda after Andy giggles at two similar belts: “Something funny?”
Andy: “No. No, no. Nothing’s… You know, it’s just that both those belts look exactly the same to me. You know, I’m still learning about all this stuff and, uh…”
Miranda: “‘This… stuff’? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select… I don’t know… that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you’re trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don’t know is that that sweater is not just blue, it’s not turquoise. It’s not lapis. It’s actually cerulean. And you’re also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent… wasn’t it who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it’s sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff.”
4. Andy: “I don’t think I’m like that. I couldn’t do what you did to Nigel, Miranda. I couldn’t do something like that.”
Miranda: “You already did. To Emily.”
Andy: “That’s not what I… no, that was different. I didn’t have a choice.”
Miranda: “No, no, you chose. You chose to get ahead. You want this life. Those choices are necessary.”
Andy: “But what if this isn’t what I want? I mean what if I don’t wanna live the way you live?”
Miranda: “Oh, don’t be ridiculous. Andrea. Everybody wants this. Everybody wants to be us.”
5. Miranda: “You have no sense of fashion.”
Andy: “I think that depends on…”
Miranda: “No, no, that wasn’t a question.”
6. Miranda: “Find me that piece of paper I had in my hand yesterday morning.”
7. Miranda: “By all means move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me.”
8. Miranda: “I need 10 or 15 skirts from Calvin Klein…”
Andy: “What kind of skirts?”
Miranda: “Please bore someone else with your… questions.”
9. Jocelyn: [at a board meeting over the April issue] “Well… they’re showing a lot of florals right now, so I was thinking…”
Miranda: “Florals? For spring? Ground breaking.”
10. Miranda: [to driver] “Go!”
11. Miranda: “And this layout for the Winter Wonderland spread. Not wonderful yet.”
12. Miranda: [to Andy] “There you are, Emily. How many times do I have to scream your name?”
13. Andy: “I thought only the first assistant went to the benefit.”
Miranda: “Only when the first assistant hasn’t decided to become an incubus of viral plague.”
Classic Devil Wears Prada Quotes
14. Nigel: “Let me know when your whole life goes up in smoke. Means it’s time for a promotion.”
15. Emily: “I’m sorry, do you have some prior commitment? Some hideous skirt convention you have to go to?”
16. Andy: “Can you please spell ‘Gabbana’?”
17. Emily: “You don’t deserve them, I mean you eat carbs, for Chrissake!”
18. Andy: “She’s not happy unless everyone around her is panicked, nauseous or suicidal.”
19. Emily: “You have some very large shoes to fill. I hope you know that.”
20. Andy: [panicking over getting the Harry Potter manuscript] “Is she back? Am I fired?”
Emily: “You know, I rarely say this to people who… aren’t me, but you have got to calm down! Bloody hell…”
21. Emily: [to Andy] “You sold your soul to the devil when you put on your first pair of Jimmy Choos, I saw it.”
22. Nigel: “There’s a scale. One nod is good, two nods is very good. There’s only be one actual smile on record and that was Tom Ford in 2001. If she doesn’t like it she shakes her head. Then of course there’s the pursing of the lips.”
Andy: “Which means?”
23. Emily: “You went upstairs? You went upstairs. Oh my God. Why didn’t you just crawl into bed with her and ask for a bedtime story?”
24. Emily: “I don’t care if she was going to fire you or beat you with a red hot poker, you should’ve said no.”
25. Nigel: “Excuse me, can we adjust the attitude? Don’t make me feed you to one of the models.”
26. Nigel: “Come on. Miranda’s pushed the run through up a half hour. And she’s always 15 minutes early.”
Andy: “Which means?”
Nigel: “You’re already late.”
27. Christian Thompson: “Andy, baby, it’s over, it’s done.”
Andy: “I’m not your baby.”
28. Nigel: [Nigel holds up a pair of fashionable high heels] “I guessed an 8 and a half.”
Andy: “I don’t need those. Miranda hired me. She knows what I look like.”
Nigel: “Do you?”
29. Nate: [as Andy takes a call from Miranda] “You know, in case you were wondering – the person whose calls you always take? That’s the relationship you’re in. I hope you two are very happy together.”
30. Emily: [shocked by Andrea’s new look] “How… Are you wearing the Ch…”
Andy: “Chanel Boots? Yeah, I am.”
Serena: “You look good.”
[Emily looks angry]
Serena: “What? She does…”
Emily: “Oh, shut up, Serena.”
31. Emily: “A million girls would kill for this job.”
32. Miranda: [to Andy] “Emily? Emily!”
Nigel: [to Andy] “She means you.”
33. Nigel: “Oh, never mind. I’m sure you have plenty more poly-blend where that came from.”
34. Christian Thompson: “Je suis très, très désolé.”
Andy: “You’re not that désolé at all.”
35. Andy: “Same Andy, better clothes.”
Nate: I like the old clothes.
36. Nigel: “Andy, be serious. You’re not trying, you’re whining.”
37. Nigel [about Andy]: “Who is that sad little person? Are we doing a before-and-after piece I don’t know about?”
38. Nigel: “That’s what this multi-billion dollar industry is all about anyway, isn’t it? Inner beauty.”
39. Nigel: “A little Crisco, some fishing wire, and we’re in business.”
40. Nigel: “Well, you know me. Give me a full ballerina skirt and a hint of saloon and I’m on board.”
41. Nigel [to the Runway staff as Miranda enters the building]: “All right, everyone. Gird your loins.”
42. Miranda Priestly: Did you fall down and smack your little head on the pavement?
Andy Sachs: Not that I can recall…43. Emily: I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.
44. Serena: What exactly is she wearing? Emily: Her grandmother’s skirt. 45. Emily: What? No. One time an assistant left the desk because she sliced her hand open with the letter opener and Miranda missed Lagerfeld just before he boarded a 17 hour flight to Australia. She now works at TV Guide. 46. Emily: Right, remember, you and I have totally different jobs. I mean you get coffee. And you run errands. Yet I’m, and in charge of her schedule, her appointments and her expenses, and most importantly, um, I get to go with her to Paris for fashion week in the fall. I get to wear couture and go to all the shows and all the parties and meet all of the designers. It’s be divine! 47. Miranda Priestly: Rupert Murdoch should cut me a check for all the paper I sell for him. 48. Emily: I don’t care if she was going to fire you or beat you with a red hot poker! You should have said, ‘No!’ Andy Sachs: Emily I didn’t have a choice. You know how she is. Emily: Please, that is a pathetic excuse! [nurse walks in with tray of food, Emily grabs the pudding] Do you know what really get’s me about this whole thing, is that you’re the one who said you don’t really care about this stuff, and you don’t really care about fashion, you–you just wanted to be a journalist, I–what a pile of bullocks! 49. Andy Sachs: Emily, I know you’re mad, I don’t blame you– Emily: Face it Andy, you sold your soul the day you put on that first pair of Jimmy Choo’s. I saw it. And you know what really kills me about this whole thing, is the clothes that you’re gonna get, I mean, you don’t them you carbs for Christ sake! God! it’s so unfair.
50. Emily: Oh it’s for Paris. Well I’m on this new diet, it’s very effective. Well, I don’t eat anything and when I feel like I’m about to faint I eat a cube of cheese.51. Miranda Priestly: I said to myself, ‘Go ahead. Take a chance. Hire the smart, fat girl.’ [clears throat] I had hope. My God, I live on it. Anyway, you ended up disappointing me more than any of the other silly girls.
52. Miranda Priestly: There you are Emily, how many times do I have to scream your name– Andy: A-a-actually it’s Andy. My name is Andy. Andrea, but everyone calls me Andy.
53. Andy: She hates me, Nigel.
Nigel: And that’s my problem because… Oh, wait. No, it’s not my problem.
Andy: I don’t know what else I can do because if I do something right, it’s unacknowledged. She doesn’t even say thank you. But if I do something wrong, she is vicious.
54. Emily: I don’t care if she was going to fire you or beat you with a red hot poker! You should have said, ‘No!’
Andy Sachs: Emily I didn’t have a choice. You know how she is. Emily: Please, that is a pathetic excuse! [nurse walks in with tray of food, Emily grabs the pudding] Do you know what really get’s me about this whole thing, is that you’re the one who said you don’t really care about this stuff, and you don’t really care about fashion, you–you just wanted to be a journalist, I–what a pile of bullocks! Andy Sachs: Emily, I know you’re mad, I don’t blame you– Emily: Face it Andy, you sold your soul the day you put on that first pair of Jimmy Choo’s. I saw it. And you know what really kills me about this whole thing, is the clothes that you’re gonna get, I mean, you don’t them you carbs for Christ sake! God! it’s so unfair.
55. Andy: Wish me luck!
Emily: No, I shan’t.
56. Emily: (mimics moving mouth with hand) “I’m hearing this… (snaps fingers shut) and I want to hear this.”
57. Miranda: “Did you fall down and smack your little head on the pavement?”
58. Miranda: “Who are you?”
This article was originally published on