Scary Mommy Resource List

by Scary Mommy
Originally Published: 

If you or a someone you know is having a medical or mental health emergency, please call 911 immediately.


If you are currently having suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Non-U.S. citizens can visit IASP or to find help in their country.

Postpartum Depression (PPD) or Postpartum Anxiety

If you think you might be suffering from postpartum depression or anxiety, or need some extra support, call at 1-800-994-9662. Check out the website for more information and resources.

Mental Health Crisis

If you or a loved one is having a mental health crisis, visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), or call the NAMI Help Line at 1-800-950-6264.

Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Support for Individuals and Their Families

The Arc promotes and protects the human rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and actively supports their full inclusion and participation in the community throughout their lifetimes. Visit them online at

Domestic Violence

If you are in an abusive relationship, and need to escape to shelter, please visit Domestic Shelters to find a safe haven, and for counseling and help. You can also call the Safe Horizon domestic violence hotline at 1-800-621–HOPE (4673).

Sexual Assault

If you are a victim of sexual assault, please call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit for more help and resources.


For help with alcoholism, or to find a local support group, visit Alcoholics Anonymous.

Substance Abuse and Addiction

For individuals or families facing substance abuse addiction, please visit Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) or call SAMHSA’s National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Eating Disorders

If you are seeking help for an eating disorder, please contact the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) or call their helpline at 1-800-931-2237.

Food Insecurity or Homelessness

If you or your family needs access to food, or is facing homelessness, please dial 211 for assistance. You can also find a local food bank here or a housing shelter here.

This article was originally published on