People Prefer To Give Affection To Their Pets Over Their Partners

People Kiss Their Dogs More Than Their Significant Others, Because Duh

Crufts Dog Show – Day Three
Aaron Chown/PA Getty Images

Turns out we love kissing our pups even more than our partners

Most of us who own pets know how spoiled they can be. We give them all of the attention, love, affection, and treats because they are the Best Boys and Girls and deserve all of it — and more. Apparently, we love them so much we actually give them more affection than our human housemates, surprising no one that has a dog or six.

Riley’s Organics, an organic dog treat company, conducted the survey to see just how bonded we are to our pooches, and it turns out we are very much in affection sync with the furry little things. According to the results, 52 percent of participants admitted to kissing their dog more than their significant others, and the other 48 percent were lying.

Not only did they find we give our pets more affection, but it seems we also enjoy sleeping next to them more than our significant other as well. Of those surveyed, 52 percent said they prefer sleeping with their dogs next to them than their partners. Personally, I enjoy both but with two 70 pound dogs between us, he could be sleeping in a secret apartment every night and I wouldn’t have a clue.

It may be hard to believe if you don’t own a pet or particularly like animals, but for survey participants, 94 percent admitted that their fur babies were one of their best friends. Not only are they constant, loving companions who ask for nothing (except treatos and walkies) and give us all of their unconditional love, but there are also a ton of health benefits to owning a furry friend.

According to the CDC, there are numerous health perks when it comes to owning a pet. They give us opportunities to exercise, be outside, and socialize. They can also decrease blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and triglyceride levels and can make us feel less lonely and depressed because it’s impossible to BOOP their noses and be in a bad mood, that’s just science.

Riley’s survey backs up a previous study conducted by Link AKC of American pet owners that found that more than half of pet owners admitted to skipping out on social events to hang out with the family pet. They also found more than half of dog owners said seeing their pet when they come home makes them feel “extremely happy,” and 88 percent admitted their dog makes them a better person.

Judging by the number of pet selfies (pelfies™) on my camera roll, not only do I show more affection to my three fur babies than my husband, I also pay more attention to them than my children. What can I say, they don’t talk back and ask for 37 bowls of cereal a day.

Luckily for our significant others, there’s plenty of love to go around. After a day spent working, herding kids, wiping bottoms, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, and snuggling our pets, there’s always room for one more. Bahahahahaha. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.