If your little one has been going through orange crayons while flipping through our fox coloring pages, you may have a fox superfan on your hands. So it’s no surprise you found yourself on a page full of fox jokes, puns, and sayings — after all, you have to keep your little zoologist entertained. But this is also a fox apologist page. Let’s call a spade a spade: Foxes get a bad rep! They’re known as sneaky liars and always end up on the losing side in morality fables told to children. (For more on those, check out Aesop’s The Fox and The Grapes fable.) But, any connoisseur of fox fun facts will tell you they are actually one of nature’s smartest animals. Foxes are extremely caring parents and are more similar to cats than dogs or wolves. They also hustle for every meal, so there’s that! And since different species of fox live on every continent, many cultures have their own mythology and take on what it means to be “sly as a fox.”
We promise this page was not commissioned by pro-fox lobbyists, but if you’re also a fan of this smart animal, we went ahead and rounded up the best fox jokes, puns, and sayings both you and your kiddo will love.
Fox Jokes and Puns
- What happens if you’ve got the eyes of a hawk, the heart of a lion, the ears of a fox?
A lifetime ban from the zoo.
- What do you call a fox with a carrot in each ear?
Anything you want, it can’t hear you.
- Why was the fox stuck in the past?
Because it was a 20th-century fox.
- What happened to the movie about foxes?
It bombed at the fox office.
- Why did the fox cross the road?
To prove to the possum that it could be done.
- Did you hear about the veterinarian who learned to talk with foxes?
She was crazy like a fox.
- When does a fox go “moo”?
When it is learning a new language.
- Where does a fox sleep during the winter?
Near the fur-nace.
- Why did the hunter lose the trail of the fox?
Because he was outfoxed.
- What did the fox use to surf the internet?
- What do you call it when fox fur is mixed with rain?
Raining cats and fox.
- How do you cheer up a fox who lost its tail?
By sending them to do some re-tail therapy.
- When do you have to dance like a fox?
When you’re doing the foxtrot.
- Why were the foxes hunting rabbits?
Because they were in the mood for fast food.
- Why did the fox cross the road?
To catch up with the chicken.
- Where do foxes keep their savings?
In a safety fox.
- Where do foxes get their news?
The Fox Network.
- What do you do if you find an injured fox?
Give it furs-taid.
- Why did the fox stop eating soup from the bowl?
He realized he had made a fox pas.
- Where did the fox go to buy a new tail?
To the re-tail store.
- Why do foxes have a winter coat?
Because they’d look silly in sweaters.
- What is a fox’s favorite classical music piece?
- Where do vixen’s keep their money?
In their furse.
- What did the fox say to the car dealer?
Give me the Car Fox.
- What did the Judge tell the fox as the court went into session?
“Tell no tails.”
- What did the fox learn in his English 101 class?
How to talk in metafurs.
- Why was the fox trying to get on HGTV?
She loved re-fur-bishing homes.
- Why did the dog keep losing races to the fox?
Because the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
- Why did the fox make a good detective?
Because he was great at chasing tails.
- What is a fox’s favorite beverage?
- What did the fox cub fail his math test?
Because he kept forgetting the fur-mulas.
- Why do you never make a fox angry?
Because they don’t furget your face.
- Why did the fox go to the car dealer?
Fur a lease.
- What is a fox’s favorite caffeinated beverage?
- Why were the fox’s crops not growing?
Because the land wasn’t fur-tile enough.
- What is a fox’s favorite pasta?
- What is a fox’s favorite spice?
- “The early bird gets the worm, and the early fox gets the bird.” — Matshona Dhliway
- “A fox can be smarter than a wolf.” — Tamuna Tsertsvadze
- “If you deal with a fox, think of his tricks.” — Jean de la Fontaine
- “A fox is a wolf who sends flowers.” — Ruth Brown
- “The fox has many tricks. The hedgehog has but one. But that is the best of all.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The Fox, when he cannot reach the grapes, says they are not ripe.” — George Herbert
- “A fox should not be on the jury at a goose’s trial.” — Thomas Fuller
- “That’s the problem. We’re all trying to outfox the fox.” — Jeff Davis
- “The sleeping fox catches no poultry.” — Frank Fenton
- “Foxes don’t get as many lives as cats.” — Souichirou Morizumi
- “An old fox understands the trap.” — Anonymous
- “The prince must be a lion, but he must also know how to play the fox.” — Niccolo Machiavelli
- “The cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf.” — Thomas Paine
- “The fox changes his fur but not his habits.” — Anonymous
- “The fox condemns the trap, not himself.” — William Blake
- “Foxes are often called sly, and they certainly earn their reputation.” — Vicki Redden
- “The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion.” — William Blake
- “In a society where every man is fox-minded, you need to be foxier than the fox.” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
This article was originally published on