Live Rat Falls From Ceiling And Lands On Customer's Table At Buffalo Wild Wings

by Julie Scagell
Originally Published: 
NBC Los Angeles

The rat unfortunately died during the incident

If you have kids of a certain age, you’ll likely find yourself in a Buffalo Wild Wings at least once or twice a month (or week if your kids are in sports). So, imagine your surprise if a giant rat dropped from the ceiling onto your table right as you were about to chomp into an Asian Zing wing. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to one poor wing-loving woman in California.

If your sphincter is clenched into an air-tight ball right now, you’re not alone. The Buffalo Wild Wings in the Westchester area of Los Angeles had an unwelcome guest in their establishment and it caused quite a scene. Customer Alisha Norman told NBC Los Angeles that construction was the likely culprit of the rogue rodent. “I knew the rat was going to be injured because it hit like a Mack truck,” she said.

Norman was just perusing the menu when she heard something overhead. “You could hear something come down,” she said. You expect a lot of things at a BW3: Awesome wings, explosive diarrhea, a random Guest Experience Captain coming to your table for no reason — but a live rat busting through the ceiling, now that’s a game changer.

Norman quickly called the manager over to her table and he scooped up the offending vermin using his natural surroundings. “He took two plates and then they just picked it up and dumped it in a bag,” she said. “It was terrible. It was disgusting.”

Please for the love of everything holy tell me he immediately threw those plates into the garbage or I will regurgitate the vomit I’ve had in my mouth for the fifth time since I began writing this article.

Of course, stuff is bound to happen when you’re out to eat. There’s hair in food, chewed up gum under tables (which your toddler may find and put in his own mouth leaving you scarred for life), and even a bug or two in the nicest of places. While a live rat falling onto your table definitely qualifies as a “one in a million” level of repulsiveness, let’s keep in mind that it’s wild out there in many restaurants, not just Buffalo Wild Wings.

For her part, Norman says she’s not angry about the incident. She told the news outlet the manager took care of her bill as a tribute to the now-deceased rat, which seems like a pretty good call on their part. The fact that Norman was even able to eat after the entire ordeal says a lot about her as well. She’s definitely a mom.

A spokesperson for Buffalo Wild Wings issued the following statement: “The isolated incident at the Westchester-area Buffalo Wild Wings in Los Angeles yesterday was unfortunate. The center where the restaurant is located is undergoing significant construction and we are confident it was directly related. We hold Buffalo Wild Wings to the highest operating standards and promptly closed the restaurant for proper remediation, cleaning and sanitization. We look forward to reopening soon to once again serve our guests in the Westchester area.”

RIP, rat. Here’s hoping you’re enjoying bottomless buffalo wings wherever you are.

This article was originally published on