Tiger Woods Is 'Awake' & 'Recovering' After His Major Car Crash

by Christina Marfice
Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire/Getty

Tiger Woods is awake and recovering after surgery on both his legs, according to a statement from his reps

News that Tiger Woods had been in a serious car accident shocked the world yesterday, and we’re only just beginning to learn the details of what happened and the extent of the legendary golfer’s injuries. For now, though, his reps say he’s “awake” and recovering” from emergency surgery on both his legs.

“As previously communicated, Tiger was involved in a single-car accident earlier this morning in California,” the statement, released on social media by Woods’ company TGR, said. “He has undergone a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle after being brought to the hospital.”

The statement included a quote from the Chief Medical Officer at the hospital where Woods is being treated, who described his injuries in more detail. He reportedly had a rod placed in his leg to stabilize breaks in his tibia and fibula bones, and screws and pins were used to support additional breaks to bones in his foot and ankle.

But the statement did contain some good news.

“He is currently awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room,” Woods’ reps said. “Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff.”

The statement ended by saying there will be no more updates for the time being, and that Woods and his family appreciate privacy from their fans.

We still don’t know what caused Woods’ rollover crash, but the first sheriff’s deputy to arrive on-scene after the 911 call told TODAY that it was immediately apparent how serious things were — and Tiger himself didn’t seem to realize it.

“I don’t think he was aware of how gravely he was injured at the time. It could be a mixture of adrenaline, it could’ve been shock,” Deputy Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Carlos Gonzalez said, adding that he arrived on-scene just six minutes after the 911 call was placed, and found Woods conscious inside his car. “Again it was very quick, the moment that I arrived from the moment that he rolled over, so I don’t know if he had time to fully assess his injuries.”

Gonzales also said that police are investigating the cause of the crash, but that they didn’t see any immediate evidence that Woods was driving under the influence.

“At the scene, we’re looking for evidence of intoxication like if there’s an odor of an alcoholic beverage or there’s an open container or prescription medication,” he said. “At this time we didn’t see any evidence of impairment and anything beyond that in terms of the medical toxicology, I wouldn’t be aware at this time.”

We wish the best for Tiger and his family, and hope his recovery goes as smoothly as possible.