5 Ways to Salute Kurt Cobain's 48th Birthday
1. Read Kurt’s Journals: Originally published in 2002, Journals, a compilation of Cobain’s writings and artwork, became an instant best seller. Although some fans felt publishing them was an invasion of his privacy, the diaries offer insight into Cobain’s everyday life, love of music, and struggle with fame.
2. Listen to something from Kurt’s Top 50 Album List: With choices that range from Public Image Limited to Public Enemy, Cobain’s handwritten “Top 50 by Nirvana” list from Journals has something for just about everyone to enjoy, including Meet the Beatles, underscoring Cobain’s appreciation for simple, glorious pop.
3. Experience Nirvana Unplugged … again: Taped live in New York, this MTV Unplugged took place just four months before his death. Watching a cardigan-clad Cobain strum his guitar and sing soulfully surrounded by floral arrangements, lit candles, and his talented bandmates is both magical and haunting.
© Frank Micelotta / Getty
4. Own something of Kurt’s: Cobain would have hated this, but yes, it’s true: His Visa card, autographed in blue ink, is available to the highest bidder until February 26 through Paddle8 auctions. But wait, there’s more! Bid now and you’ll receive Kurt’s King of Clubs Slot Club credit card holder FREE!
5. Spend a Kurt-themed evening: You could dust off your plaid shirt, make a box of mac and cheese (Cobain’s fave), and settle down to watch Kurt Cobain About A Son, a documentary by A. J. Schnack, which compiles hours of journalist Michael Azerrad’s audio interviews with Cobain. Or just dig out that CD player and listen to Nevermind, and let its spirit come alive again.
Happy birthday, Kurt.
This article was originally published on