Wishing upon a star doesn’t seem too far-fetched when you practice the law of attraction. The popular manifestation method and New Age philosophy have been around for decades but have recently picked up traction with The Secret, a massively popular 2006 self-help book touting the effectiveness of simply willing good things into one’s life. So what is the law of attraction? Is it just a vision board come to life or willing positive affirmations into existence?
Simply put, believers in the law of attraction claim individuals have the ability to attract into our lives whatever we are thinking about, including personal development goals. Basically, it means that our thoughts eventually will become reality. So, for example, if you’re constantly focusing on love and joy, you will welcome more of that into your life. On the flip side, if you’re constantly thinking of negativity, chances are you will attract more disappointment. This is the bit critics of the law of attraction take issue with: If we are the determining factor and if humans attract what befalls them, then how does one explain poverty, sickness, war, genocide, and destructive acts of nature?
Here’s what you need to know about this manifestation technique if you want to learn more about the philosophy and the law of attraction.
How to Use the Law of Attraction
The law of attraction isn’t a magical spell. The technique requires us to consider that we are responsible for everything that occurs in our lives. In short, you are the creator of your reality. So what do you want to create? Chances are you want to create a pretty amazing life, right? The law of attraction claims to do just that. Here’s what proponents of the theory recommend:
- Watch your thoughts. Practice mindfulness, especially when it comes to your thoughts. Where are you placing your attention? Are you thinking negatively or are you focused more on what you want? This isn’t about thinking positively all the time but rather paying attention to where your attention goes. Are you more focused on your fears or on what’s possible?
- Forget about the ‘when’ and ‘how.’ We often have very little control of when and how our dreams will manifest. Instead, it’s best to focus on the present moment and trust that they will come true.
- Act ‘as if’. Behave as if your wish has come true. If you wish to manifest a new love, act like you’re already in love. Take yourself out on dates. Focus on loving the people around you. Dress up. Feel into what it would be like to have what you want.
- Desire it, but don’t need it. Needy energy is repelling but an energy that desires something simply because you want it and not because you need it is far more attractive. Think about that clingy ex of yours and how icky you felt whenever they clung to you. That’s how the Universe feels about you if you’re in this energy. Don’t do it.
- Take action. The law of attraction isn’t about sitting around waiting for things to happen — you also help co-create your goals by taking action that feels good to you.
What are the 7 Laws of Attraction?
There are actually 7 laws of attraction that help harness your manifestation powers.
- The Law of Manifestation. Whatever we think of, we will receive.
- The Law of Magnetism. Everything we attract in our lives is a reflection of our vibration.
- The Law of Unwavering Desire. Only the desires to which we have unwavering faith and devotion will come true.
- The Law of Delicate Balance. Our feelings must be in balance in order to attract our desires. When we feel grateful and joy, we have a better chance of manifestation rather than when we feel desperation and stress.
- The Law of Harmony. Connecting the abundant energy of the Universe, and all that connects us, helps magnetize our desires.
- The Law of Right Action. How we act and behave towards others and the Universe will return back to us. Basically, karma is a bitch if you act like one.
- The Law of Universal Influence. Everything we say and do will have an effect on the world around us, so we must remain in integrity to manifest our desires.
Law of Attraction Quotes
Looking for some inspiration? Check out these popular laws of attraction quotes to help get you started.
- “What you think you become. What you feel you attract. What you imagine you create.” — Buddha
- “It is the combination of thought and love which forms the irresistible force of the law of attraction.” — Charles Hammel
- “You create your thoughts, your thoughts create your intentions and your intentions create your reality.” — Wayne Dyer
- “Set your mind on a definite goal and observe how quickly the world stands aside to let you pass.” — Napoleon Hill
- “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” — Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Everyone visualizes whether he knows it or not. Visualizing is the great secret of success.” — Genevieve Behren
- “Every single second is an opportunity to change your life because in any moment you can change the way you feel.” — Rhonda Byrne
- “You create your own universe as you go along.” — Winston Churchill
- “The law of attraction states that whatever you focus on, think about, read about, and talk about intensely, you’re going to attract more of into your life.” — Jack Canfield
- “There are universal laws at work, even here. The law of attraction, the law of correspondence, and the law of karma. That is: like attracts like; as within, so without; and what goes around comes around.” — H.M. Forester
How do you know if someone is thinking of you?
Another way to determine if the law of attraction binds you and your love interest is if they’re thinking of you. But how can you tell? Well, there are several ways to find out. For example, you both may feel emotional tension if one of you is thinking of the other. You may also feel a phantom touch on your body if someone has you on their mind.
Can you feel if someone is manifesting you?
When someone is manifesting you, you’re going to feel it. You may also experience a vision or dream about the person manifesting you. Signs from the universe may begin to show themselves in your life, and you may even start to feel drawn to that person. And since manifesting is all about energy, you may even feel a shift in your own.
This article was originally published on