10 Excuses My Kids Give For Not Doing Their Chores
Our kids have chores. (I know, call the police—I’m an evil mean monster of a parent for expecting them to contribute and pick up after themselves.) They even have a handy little chore chart that I made each of them, so they can check off what has been done and easily see what is still left to do each day. But strangely, that doesn’t seem to stop them from spitting out the most outrageous excuses for why these things sometimes don’t get done. Here are some of the gems that come out of their mouths…
1. I did it already! No, really. I did it. I know it doesn’t look like I cleaned my room, but I totally did. I just messed it up again really quickly.
2. I JUST did that yesterday. Do I have to do that again today? Who takes the trash out two days in a row? What is this, Buckingham Palace?
3. I thought [insert sibling’s name] was going to do it. Moooooom. I swear, she said she was going to do it this time and I would do it next time.
4. I forgot. Sorry. I’ll get it done before bedtime. No, I know I said that last night. I really mean it this time, SWEAR!
5. I meant to do it later. I have things. You know, THINGS. I’ll get to it later. After my things.
6. It will just get messed up again in half an hour. **SIGH** I don’t get the point of this at all.
7. It doesn’t look that bad to me. If I don’t see a mess, does the mess really exist?
8. Dad said he was going to take care of that.
9. None of my friends have chores.
10. If you’re here all day, why do I have to do it? No, wait, Mom, please, I’m sorry, I’ll do it. I’ll do it right now. I’m doing it, I’m DOING IT RIGHT NOW.
Related post: Chore Charts Are Bullshit
This article was originally published on