He says he’d been experiencing symptoms for a few days prior to getting tested
According to a statement released by Clarence House, Prince Charles is now working from home. “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus,” the statement reads. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.”
The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested, but, so far, doesn’t have the virus. “In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland,” the statement continues. “The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.”
BBC reports that Buckingham Palace said the Queen, 93, last saw Prince Charles on March 12, and he was “in good health.” The palace added that the queen’s husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh (who is 98), was not present at that meeting, and that she and the duke are now “following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”
This all comes a week after a video surfaced of Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, making light of the global pandemic in an arguably callous and cavalier exchange earlier this month.
While it’s accurate to say that even just a few weeks ago, the global reaction to the novel coronavirus was very different than what it is now, it was still a fairly irresponsible thing to say in general, let alone during a public event.
Charles, 71, and Camilla, 72, are now self-isolating at Birkhall, their home on Queen Elizabeth‘s Balmoral estate in Scotland. Clarence House confirms that the prince’s last public engagement was on March 12, when he last saw the Queen.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”